JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will on FADE IN magazine

Cyrano

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 19 2004, 08:52 AM]What does he mean by: You know, Eminem and I are very clear about what the truth is"??[/quote]
I think he meant "the truth" about how people see U as an artist or soemthing like that.

Em cusses. Will doesn't. I'm not 100% sure, but it'z soemthing along those line. :dunno:

That´s the first part of the interview ( ENJOY IT¡¡¡ ):

"-WE READ THAT YOU PASSED ON AN ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP TO MIT
-"Well,so the legend has it ( laughs )
-AND YOU TOPPED OUT AROUND 1460 ON YOUR SAT,THEN BROKE YOUR MOTHER´S HEART BY GOING INTO THE MUSIC BUSINESS.DID YOUR FOLKS BEAT YOU UP ABOUT IT?
-No,it was really just take a year,and if this rap thing doesn´t work out...That´s probably the best decision that my parents ever made for me:to just let me take a year off.
-IN THE COURSE OF THAT FIRST YEAR,YOU WON A GRAMMY
-Uh-huh,the first Grammy ever given to a rapper
-YOU STARTED OUT AS A RAP ARTIST WHEN HIP-HOP BECAME A BUSINESS.FOR BETTER OR WORSE,HOW HAS RAP CHANGED SINCE YOU FIRST APPEARED ON THE SCENE?
-The first number that we came out with was in June´86,and that summer Salt-n-Pepa released,Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy...there was Heavy D, LL Cool J, Run DMC.The big difference is that there wereno real similar artists.Everyone has a really distinct perspective.And even though people were just dropping their first albums and only just becoming famous, they were already veterans performers.That was because of the nature of the party scene in hip-hop that came before people´s first records.If there´s a big difference now, it´s the lack of stage time, the amount of mic time that new artists had prior to ( recording ) a CD.So that inevitably is going to pull the overall quality down.But lyrically, the best of today are equal, if not better, poets than the best who came from the golden age of hip-hop.That mid´-80s era is really the golden age of hip-hop.
-WHO DO YOU LISTEN TO NOW?
-Kanye West is really intriguing to me-his music and his perspective, his artistic freedom.I really envy and amire the freedom that Outkast takes for themselves. I´ve always had this desperate need for my records to play in every corner of the world.I don´t want there to be a place taht I could go and people haven´t heard my record.That´s pressure, and it affects me sometimes.My purest records, only my family and friends have heard.
-YOU´RE NOT RECORDING FOR COLUMBIA ANYMORE,RIGHT?
-No.
-EVEN THOUGH YOU´VE BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL FOR THE LABEL
-Uh-huh.
-DO YOU STILL PLAN TO RECORD?
-I´ve got an album done, and I´m trying to find the right company to work with over the next couple of years
-WAS COLUMBIA RECORDS DROPPING YOU FROM THE LABEL A SLAP IN THE FACE,GIVEN THAT YOU´VE MADE THEM A LOT OF MONEY?
-No.The bottom line is,it´s a business,and that´s the thing that´s really difficult for artists.This is a business that´s based on numbers.It´s up to the artist to create the direction, but it´s not up to the artist to maintain the direction;it gets out of your hands.So with Columbia,we sold a lot of records, but who cares at the end of the day?I´m a veteran in this game.I was on Jive when the same thing happened; moved to Columbia,the same thing happened.So the bottom line is, it´s about delivering fiscally.You can make a company $100 million one year and lose them seven fifty the next, and they´ll drop you.
-BUT HOW CAN YOU NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY?THIS IS YOU PUTTING YOUR POETRY OUT THERE.IT HAS TO BE MORE PERSONAL THAN ACTING
-Oh,it´s much more personal.As an actor, you´re just a tool for a director.But as a musician, that´s your whole life and all your thoughts and all your feelings
-DESPITE THAT,YOU CAN HANDLE THE REJECTION?
-Yeah.That´s the nature of the game.I use that for fuel.And for the most part, my perspective on my life is that it has been relatively free of adversity.So I welcome a little fumble once in a while... "

Then Will talks about Eminem ( the part that I typed out at the beginning of the topic ) and about his career as an actor ( I typed out the whole interview as soon as posible ).

WILL POWER¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡