JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

In the future could CD's be a thing of the past?

analogue

With all the downloads that are going on with things such as I-tunes i was just thinking about whether or not CD's will become a thing of the past. In the future i can see there being no record shops atall and the only way people can get albums will be by downloading on I-tunes. Of course this will take years and years and years for it to get to that stage but it did make me think

Or maby it will go full circle and it will be ''cool'' again to buy CD's

And IF CD's do become a thing of the past would there be any need for new, up and coming artists to get a record deals? Cause all they'd need to do is just put up they're own songs on I-tunes, Myspace etc and then they'd gather a fan base through word of mouth.

Edited by analogue

If things continue the way they are, i think CD's will become a subculture. Where fewer of them are distributed. I think that there will always be people who love the album and love buying CDs. I think their will be exclusive music stores (featuring CDs, vinyl, posters, t-shirts, etc.). I think we might get back 2 the independent music stores which i personally love. I do think it's important for those who love music 2 still buy albums in stores to help weather the storm of our crashing music industry.

They still make VHS and vinyl...so i think it's safe that CD won't REALLY fade out 4 quite some time.

And IF CD's do become a thing of the past would there be any need for new, up and coming artists to get a record deals? Cause all they'd need to do is just put up they're own songs on I-tunes, Myspace etc and then they'd gather a fan base through word of mouth.

Actually now that i think of that this kinda thing is allready starting to happen. Cause i was just looking at Da Brakes myspace page and he has 799 friends on there and for an unsigned artist who's trying to get his name out there that's alot. A few years back without the internet it would have been alot harder for aritists like Brakes to get that many people interested in his music

and Chester Bennington from Linkin Park have said he've seen bands sell out arena's with over a thounsand seats and they haven't evan been signed by a record label and that's through the power of the internet

Edited by analogue

i really hope they dont stop selling CD's, bcoz when i buy an album, its for life, i wanna keep it for when im older. I dont know how to back up downloaded songs on my computer, im not gonna have the same computer forever, so i dont get how if u just download songs how u get to keep them , unless u burn them all to blank CD.

Anyway, im gonna keep buying CD's until they ever do stop making them.

CD's will die out. But that doesn't mean a newer cheaper form of physical music will not take its place. The truth is with the competition of downloading stuff the price of CD's will be more competitive and therefore sales will be strong for many years to come.

Maybe some kind of micro chip that will hold music on it, will take the place of cds. But I like cds a lot and will always buy cds. I don't really see cds dieing off though.

Maybe some kind of micro chip that will hold music on it, will take the place of cds. But I like cds a lot and will always buy cds. I don't really see cds dieing off though.

The way I see it is that CD's are like cassettes, cassettes are like records. They will be replaced. If I were to speculate, I'd imagine that HUB's of music (connected to a database online, probably the same one you access on your computer today) within shopping centers would simply allow you to purchase, on the go, by connecting your MP3 (or whatever music standard) player to the machine. Think of an ATM and then you probably just swipe your credit card or insert cash after selecting what artists you want. It would be a way to allow people to get the music when in a shopping mood, and also if your under 18 use cash to purchase the music, rather than credit cards only online at home.

Regarding record labels, they will always be around in one form or another as long as the music industry exists. Record labels are marketing companies at the core, and whether its with advertisements on the internet, special offers, or premium co-branding with shopping centers (like Walmart), those tasks are not to be left to the artists. Marketing needs to be done by professionals with the only exception possible being if the artist is already established at a high level (i.e. Will Smith). Even then, the product can receive a boost with proper marketing. Interscope could have easily brought Will's album to platinum status with "Tell Me Why" as the second single, and then "Party Starter" as a third.

we would have to have a better quality format come out for that to happen i think. cassettes took over records because they were small and had better sound quality. CD's took over cassettes because they are more durable and have better sound quality. we will need advances in sound quality for Cd's to be gone. when you look at mp3's, those are only an imitation of the data represented on the CD. there is no such thing as an mp3 that has true CD quality recording to it, but mp3's are damn close. until there is an advancement in making the sound quality even better and more realistic i dont think cd's will become artifacts. of course eventually cd's will be taken over, its just a matter of when.

Same here. Believe it or not, there are people in this would without the internet...and even without computers. CD's are getting more inexpensive and they are still being promoted heavily. While many people are into downloading, there are millions of people who are still going out and buying complete albums/CD's. That fact that CD's can be burned is another reason they will stay strong for a good while. That of course is another reason why they have had declining sales over the past few years. The fact that CDs are small and allow u 2 quickly skip thru' an album make them just as convienient as they were when they came out. And lastly, since DJ's can now "scratch" CD's like vinyl, they will definitely stay in production. After all, that's probably the main reason vinyl is still pressed. As music fans start demanding more from artists, some will probably go back 2 the idea of loving "the album." The complete work of art, complete tracklisting, the concept, the artwork and inserts. CD's seriously have nothing 2 worry about 4 awhile. Even with increased internet music distribution, there are many people who only get CDs (like myself) or support both (CD's for the good artists...and downloads for the catchy songs). Think of all the other formats of music. They have all come and gone. The CD is so convenient in so many ways, it seems pointless to try and replace it. Even if the industry changes alot down the road, making it so that CD's would be produced on a smaller scale, there will always be music stores with them. I love the idea of the independent music store coming back (as they existed in the 90's).

I agree with Wes on this one

Yeah he pretty much summed it up, MP3s are really popular now but CDs won't be going out of circulation anytime soon

AJ and Wes are spot on. Their are too many true music fans out there who like the complete package, and that includes going into a store and picking that CD off a shelf and taking it home, reading through the booklets and being able to put into onto your shelf along with your other ones. Its part of a musical experience.

Yeah, and the industry is trying 2 perserve them in small ways 2. There are many bonus songs and DVDs that will NEVER be re-released or put on the internet for download that u can only get when u purchase the album. It almost seems like they are saying "Thank you for actually buying the album."

On top of that that, the decrease in CDs sales doesn't mean they'll really fall off quickly. If it happens, it'll be a very slow progress. Sales are in a place that can still fall and the CD industry will still be fine. And it's not like the numbers can't be turned around. Look at the industry and the trash on the radio. We are entering a place where some people are growing up and requiring more from artists and labels. If they listen and change 4 the better, that could also turn sales around.

I do think that it's important that those who do love the album go out and buy music by the people they love 2 show that it's how they prefer to buy music.