JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

More than 2yrs. later

• Members

I was listening to Lost and Found today and like every other time I lsten to it I said to myself that this album is way too good for it not to be platinum after more than two years since its release. I think that gold is simply not good enough. So I was thinking, why don't we gather as many fans as posible and push Lost and Found over the 1 million mark. At almost 700,000 the album is really close to reaching 1 mil and I believe that with the help of everybody on this forum we can do it. I myself only use this forum but it would be great for those of you who are members of other forums to get other fans in on this too.

you're talking of 300,000 $15 CD's (some priced at 20)

Ya, it sucks how interscope dropped the ball with his album promotion including the follow-up single to switch...

but I mean you're asking alot of people to buy cd's of something they already had...and it would be even tougher to go and promote a two-year-old album for the unaware to buy...

Hate to be negative but at this stage that is too big a target. Pretty much anyone who would have wanted this album will have bought it by now.

We should concentrate on Jeff's new album right now and then wait for Will to do something new.

Hate to be negative but at this stage that is too big a target. Pretty much anyone who would have wanted this album will have bought it by now.

We should concentrate on Jeff's new album right now and then wait for Will to do something new.

that's no negative thats just the way it's .. if we have to helping someone that's Jeff :) , love to see the album make platinum !

Best thing about Jeff's new album is it'll work so well from word of mouth. Its just that type of album. So i can imagine sales over the coming weeks being quite steadily high.

I understand your point, Jra. L&F deserves to a platinum album. No, a multi-platinum album like Big Willie Style or Willennium. But Interscope did everything to make this record a flop. No advertising, no promotion, wrong for the 2nd single and so on. And we can't push people to buy L&F anymore. It's 2 years old. The album is done. Sounds sad but that's the truth. Now we have to support Jeff's new album as good as possible. 'Cause he needs our support.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

a few things to take into consideration....

1. 700 thousand sold in today's music business is an incredible feat considering almost no one actually goes and buys cd's anymore.

2. Will Smith is considered "old school" by most, and old school rappers NEVER sell. plus on top of that he's will smith, the kids that listen to rap today are into the street, shoot em up, bang bang guys, so will was totally at a disadvantage dropping this cd and he STILL sold 700k. can you name 10 other rappers who have dropped albums since then that have sold that much? really, think about it. outside of 50, Jay-Z, TI, Jeezy, Luda, Chamillionaire and probably 2 or 3 more guys there is no one who sold that amount of records.

3. Will is an international superstar. I don't know what the worldwide numbers are but I am sure that worldwide he's platinum by now.

Edited by Hitch203

1. 700 thousand sold in today's music business is an incredible feat considering almost no one actually goes and buys cd's anymore.

Thats not true. Almost everyone i know who wants an album will go out and buy a physical copy of it. That is just a better musical experience.

• Members

Thats not true. Almost everyone i know who wants an album will go out and buy a physical copy of it. That is just a better musical experience.

nah. i go out and buy the actual albums too but, people like me are clearly in the minority nowadays, i don't know ANYONE else who actually goes to a record store and buys the album. this is why the music industry has seen such a decline in the last couple of years and record companies aren't putting as much marketing/promotion dollars into projects anymore. look at justin timberlake's album, if this was 5 years ago that album would have sold 6 million by now, but in today's industry he's somewhere around 3 million. ringtones are becoming the new "record sales" sadly, since nobody sells records anymore these guys are pulling in a lot of money off their ringtones.

nah. i go out and buy the actual albums too but, people like me are clearly in the minority nowadays, i don't know ANYONE else who actually goes to a record store and buys the album. this is why the music industry has seen such a decline in the last couple of years and record companies aren't putting as much marketing/promotion dollars into projects anymore. look at justin timberlake's album, if this was 5 years ago that album would have sold 6 million by now, but in today's industry he's somewhere around 3 million. ringtones are becoming the new "record sales" sadly, since nobody sells records anymore these guys are pulling in a lot of money off their ringtones.

It all depends on your location. Kev, it's a completely different music industry over here in the United States. The country is so ficle when it comes to music. Very rarely do you see any good/positive singles from Rap music anymore. For me personally over here, "Runaway Love" and "Kick Push" were probably the best, most well-written tracks. Rap is all about partying now.

Singles drive the rap industry too. The majority of people I know just download the albums rather than going out and buying it. Maybe its a coincedence that rap sales are on the decline at the time in which the music keeps getting ****tier? You cant even call Rap music, music anymore. Its just noise. 90% of the crap on the radio is. Plus of course the singles are promoted for like 12 to 25 year olds. None of them even care for real music. U.S. isn't musically conscience as other countries in the world, unfortunatly.

What Will's problem is, he just doesn't put out new material quickly enough. It was said I think in an interview someone posted on here awhile ago that you need to drop like 2 hits a year and have collabos or people forget about you. Consistency, FP just isnt consistent because a movie takes many months to do. At least a year if not more from actual pre-production to production to post-production with touring and all that crap, and Will drops like 3-4 movies in between albums. It just doesnt work. I dont think the young people in the US consider FP "old school" like us and many other smart hip-hop fans do, he's still a pop icon however you look at it and what L+F did was good with all the crappy promotion. 700k here in the US..Gold..Switch was 3X PLATINUM - thanks to DIGITAL MUSIC DOWNLOADS. FP won an American Music Award beat out 50 cent. Theres just so many variables right now with Will, its tough.