JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Shame on NBC for only Facilitating a killer's intentions...

Bob

I posted this on my facebook and felt it was worth re-posting here, just my thoughts:

So we all are trying to cope/help others cope with the events of Monday at Virginia Tech. And yes, our curiosity is one that would want to consume any information about the killer and his motives. We naturally have an urge to "solve the case" on our own. Yet, someone at NBC should have shown discretion with what they released to the public. And by discretion I mean let the authorities decide what would be permissible to share with the public.

The killer sent NBC headquarters a video/photo/letter package that described his motives in an attempt to portray himself as a martyr for the socially oppressed. As in he meticulously compiled something he wanted the general public to see. As in NBC did exactly what he wanted by sharing the contents of his package to the general public.

....?

Yes, NBC did give the authorities the original contents, but only after they made a copy and let the public see it. Why? Ratings? Stupidity?

The killer even references the two boys who committed the Columbine attacks. He spoke of them as legends. He did this to "create a new generation" of sorts of followers. He says so himself. This man, who knew exactly what he was doing enough so to premeditate the whole thing, wanted, wished, hoped, and obviously expected that the need to get the scoop, get the ratings would lead NBC to releasing this package to the public.

He did what the two boys at Columbine never could, which was releasing his story, his way, to the public immediately. The authorities who covered the Columbine Massacre purposely took time to release documents so as not to add fuel to the flame of sensationalists. The two boys at Columbine wanted copycats but the instances were staggered thankfully to smart moves by the authorities as to not raise these kids to a higher status so quickly.

Now the probability of a copycat is so much more likely than ever before. NBC has only enlarged the problem, as now those who need help will see a figure of infamy to latch onto.

I am personally going to send a letter to NBC and I do not know what else but I urge you to show your contempt with their decision to only facilitate the killer's intentions. I believe firmly in my heart that NBC's lack of discretion will directly result in a family's loss some point within the near future. It's sad because we are talking about business professionals who made the completely immoral decision to release the documents almost immediately.

And for those who say we have a right to information, yes I agree, but there are cases in emergencies where the government must make the decision to not allow a sensitive situation only become more dangerous. Eventually, over time, as it becomes easier to step back from the situation, yes, the package should be open to the public.

And what about the families, the friends who just lost a loved one? Now they see a killer get his wish, an infamous picture of his devilish profile all over the news and no filter to stop vulnerable, depressed young adults from absorbing his deceptive diction and following his ways. The prospect of this fame and the knowledge now that the media will allow for such hype to follow in its wake uninhibited only becomes a greater attraction to anyone who identifies with the killer's thoughts.

It upsets me that a company with such power, the power of communication, would not realize its social responsibility to not exacerbate a very volatile and upsetting situation.

I agree with what u are saying...but not at the same extreem. From the news i've seen and the articles i read, they didn't put this stuff out there until the athorities checked it and green lighted it...maybe i got some incorrect info. I view it as one of those things the news just does when something bad happens. U put it out there. It's not good news, but see it as something the public has the right 2 see. If they don't wanna see it, they can turn it off. This psyco obviously wanted people 2 see the video, yes, but he isn't going 2 be viewed as he wants people 2 view him. Forgive me for disrespecting the deceased, but this guy is a hateful, immature, out-of-control cry baby who thinks he's is a innocent and intellegent victim. People are not going 2 respect him of feel pain 4 him. Only a few other psycos out there. And i don't i don't believe the video will really inspire any of those perpetrators. They'll act out crazy things like this reguardless. Before the video waz aired, there were at least 12 false alarms across the US. Threats, messages, etc.

I'm not saying i disagree, but what i am saying is that i personally don't feel that there are black and white actions made. Everything is done in the grey area. If they show the video, it can help stop future things like this from happening. And it lets the people get the news they have the right 2 get. As far as i know, there were no objections 2 airing it. If u don't wanna see it, turn it off. If they don't show it, it may keep the victims families from finding their resolution, it'll do no good 2 preventing future pyscos from doing similar things. It may prevent a parent from getting their own distrubed child help b4 it's 2 late.

I don't know...i can't really agree that it shouldn't be aired. That doesn't mean i agree with every motive behind airing it tho.'

• Admin

I agree that they shouldnt be flashing images of this guy pointing guns across the news. I disagree that they shouldnt show the video. I don't believe the video would inspire anyone to carry out similar acts. The video shows a disturbed individual.

I think if one person was able to engage this guy in the last few years 33 lives may have been saved.. all we care about is ourselves and if it doesnt affect us we just ignore it.. I dont think you can just ignore people like that.. it sounds like everyone ignored him..left to his own devices and his mind..he ended up created havoc and killing a lot of people.

I agree that they shouldnt be flashing images of this guy pointing guns across the news. I disagree that they shouldnt show the video. I don't believe the video would inspire anyone to carry out similar acts. The video shows a disturbed individual.

I think if one person was able to engage this guy in the last few years 33 lives may have been saved.. all we care about is ourselves and if it doesnt affect us we just ignore it.. I dont think you can just ignore people like that.. it sounds like everyone ignored him..left to his own devices and his mind..he ended up created havoc and killing a lot of people.

Alot of psycho-analysis of the two boys who killed at Columbine points to one thing that could have made the copycats worse: them getting their story, their way, at the reporters before the authorities took control.

Alot of kids who are troubled can see someone who seems almost heroic in his infamous profile all over the TV's. I believe the video will only inspire as he wished. They should have at least gave some time to let emotions simmer, for the simple sake of the families.

And in response to AJ, I strongly doubt the right person in the authorities made the call because they really have protocol (as spelled out after Columbine) to not release documents so early, so to quell the sensationalism. I really do feel that a disturbed individual on this platform can only ignite the possibility of copycats.

I think no harm would have been done in concealing the tape for some time, allowing families to view, and maybe in a few years releasing the footage. I mean why do we hear so little of the 20-some school shootings since Columbine? I believe the authorities have done a good job in not giving the offenders the platform they so desparately seak.