JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Gunman kills 30 on Virginia Tech campus

fan 4ever

thats just so sad. It had happened a whole day b4 I found out, because I had been studying for an exam,...and did not turn on the tv at all... All I could think about is their parents, and what they were feeling after losing their child so unexpectedly at college.

My heart definately goes out to the family, friends, and everyone at the college campus. Life is sooo so short, we never know when its our tyme to go... so just be careful, I certainly would be torn to hear any of you hurt...

much love 2 my JJFP fam,

xo,

cookie

I don't wanna come off apathetic, but in a materialist & selfish culture such as in the U.S., these things unfortunately happen sooner or later, cause many cats gettin' left behind or shoved aside. Those students definitely didn't deserve it, but were they completely innocent either, who knows? It's sad that it takes drastic incidents like these to wake people up. The real sad thing is that most of the students will be back partying and drinking and shopping and ostracising this weekend without having learned the lesson that this kid so malevolently tried to teach them.

U sound like u are defending the shooter. That kid is a nutcase. That psyco wasn't teaching any lessons, he just thought he waz. Being made fun of is part of growing up...who hasn't been made fun of or pushed around EVER in life. And people all over the world are materilistic, in2 drinking, and so on. How u gonna stamp that on the US exclusively?

Killer's Family Feels 'Helpless and Lost'

Virginia Tech Holds Day of Mourning for Victims

By ALLEN G. BREED and AARON BEARD

AP

BLACKSBURG, Va. (April 20) - The family of Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho told The Associated Press on Friday that they feel "hopeless, helpless and lost," and "never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

"He has made the world weep. We are living a nightmare," said a statement issued by Cho's sister, Sun-Kyung Cho, on the family's behalf.

It was the Chos' first public comment since the 23-year-old student killed 32 people and committed suicide Monday in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

Raleigh, N.C., lawyer Wade Smith provided the statement to the AP after the Cho family reached out to him. Smith said the family would not answer any questions, and neither would he.

"Our family is so very sorry for my brother's unspeakable actions. It is a terrible tragedy for all of us," said Sun-Kyung Cho, a 2004 Princeton University graduate who works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees American aid for Iraq .

"We pray for their families and loved ones who are experiencing so much excruciating grief. And we pray for those who were injured and for those whose lives are changed forever because of what they witnessed and experienced," she said. "Each of these people had so much love, talent and gifts to offer, and their lives were cut short by a horrible and senseless act."

Authorities are in frequent contact with Cho's family, but have not placed them in protective custody, said Assistant FBI Director Joe Persichini, who oversees the bureau's local Washington office. Authorities believe they remain in the Washington area, but are staying with friends and relatives.

Sources: AP, cnn.com, nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com

Persichini said the FBI and Fairfax County Police have assured Cho's parents that they will investigate any hate crimes directed at the family if and when they ever return to their Centreville home.

The family statement was issued during a statewide day of mourning for the victims. Silence fell across the Virginia Tech campus at noon and bells tolled in churches nationwide in memory of the victims.

"We are humbled by this darkness. We feel hopeless, helpless and lost. This is someone that I grew up with and loved. Now I feel like I didn't know this person," Cho's sister said. "We have always been a close, peaceful and loving family. My brother was quiet and reserved, yet struggled to fit in. We never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

She said her family will cooperate fully and "do whatever we can to help authorities understand why these senseless acts happened. We have many unanswered questions as well."

Wendy Adams, whose niece, Leslie Sherman, was killed in the massacre, said of the family's statement: "I'm not so generous to be able to forgive him for what he did. But I do feel for the family. I do feel sorry for them."

"I do believe they're living a nightmare," she added.

Robert Jeffers of Idaho Falls, Idaho, a friend of slain 25-year-old student Brian Bluhm, said: "I hope people can see that the right action to take from all of this is love, not hate."

"Based on this sorrowful statement, it is apparent that the family grieves with everyone in the world," Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said.

Cho's name was given as "Cho Seung-Hui " by police and school officials earlier this week. But the the South Korean immigrant family said their preference was "Seung-Hui Cho." Many Asian immigrant families Americanize their names by reversing them and putting their surnames last.

While Cho clearly was seething and had been taken to a psychiatric hospital more than a year as threat to himself, investigators are still trying to establish exactly what set him off, why he chose a dormitory and a classroom building for the rampage and how he selected his victims.

Panel to Probe Massacre

Gov. Tim Kaine has named an independent panel to review the events surrounding the deadly rampage at Virginia Tech.

"The why and the how are the crux of the investigation," Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said. "The why may never be determined because the person responsible is deceased."

During the campus memorial, hundreds of somber students and area residents, most wearing the school's maroon and orange, stood with heads bowed on the parade ground in front of Norris Hall, the classrooom building where all but two of the victims died. Along with the bouquets and candles was a sign reading, "Never forgotten."

"It's good to feel the love of people around you," said Alice Lo, a Virginia Tech graduate and friend of Jocelyne Couture-Nowak, a French instructor killed in the rampage. "With this evil, there is still goodness."

The mourners gathered in front of stone memorials, each adorned with a basket of tulips and an American flag. There were 33 stones - one for each victim and Cho.

"His family is suffering just as much as the other families," said Elizabeth Lineberry, who will be a freshman at Virginia Tech in the fall.

In a city park in Frederick, Md., student Claire Moblard rang a 3,400-pound bell once for each of the slain. Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland asked state residents to observe a moment of silence. And in Baltimore, Mayor Sheila Dixon and about 100 city employees paused silently at City Hall while bells tolled at Zion Lutheran Church and the Baltimore Basilica.

Near Richmond, Va., a dozen Tech alumni gathered at dawn at an intersection, waving school flags and banners and holding signs asking motorists to honk. The blare of car horns was deafening, and some drivers lowered their windows and raised their arms in a thumbs-up or V-for-victory salute.

President Bush wore an orange and maroon tie in a show of support. The White House said he also asked top officials at the Justice, Health and Human Services and Education Departments to travel the country, talk to educators, mental health experts and others and compile a report on how to prevent similar tragedies.

Seven people hurt in the rampage remained hospitalized, at least one in serious condition.

I totally agree, Lerky. :smartass: For the most part, guns only exist for negative reasons. I've never really supported hunting and stuff like that. I can't imagin why it's so easy 2 get one here in the US. Since so many people have guns, i kinda support the right 2 bare arms, cuz everyone has the right 2 defend their own family, but another gun out on the street is another oppertunity for death. Imagin if one of the teachers at VT had a gun locked away in their desk. Maybe this nightmare could have been prevented shortly after the gunshots started ringing out. It's one of those things that is so out of hand, that it's hard 2 imagin how 2 turn it around.

• Members

I totally agree, Lerky. :smartass: For the most part, guns only exist for negative reasons. I've never really supported hunting and stuff like that. I can't imagin why it's so easy 2 get one here in the US. Since so many people have guns, i kinda support the right 2 bare arms, cuz everyone has the right 2 defend their own family, but another gun out on the street is another oppertunity for death. Imagin if one of the teachers at VT had a gun locked away in their desk. Maybe this nightmare could have been prevented shortly after the gunshots started ringing out. It's one of those things that is so out of hand, that it's hard 2 imagin how 2 turn it around.

Yeah. Its really hard but it better be done sooner rather than later. I dont know what to do either really, but its probably best to start at the roots: do everythings thats possible to prevent new guns on the street. Try to stop the making of guns and the smuggling. It will take very much resources to do but its the only way to do and of course permanent weapon amnesty is also a good idea.

That's too bad but I can't say that it's effecting me too much. I mean, with so much death in the world as it is, this seems like just another sensationalized drop in the bucket. Every year the US has something like 16,000 homicides, this seems like 30 more.

I kinda feel the same.

Lerkot, AJ.. I'm against aving gun's so easy too, but you cant say that's the only reason, caus there are so mabny more way's to kill easily... There are enough other thing's you can manage that with. There will allways be a way.

Yeah, but guns are the most cowardly. Think about it. Anyone who doesn't have one or doesn't know a killer has one is automatically at a disadvantage. With a gun u can be hidden or at a distance and do what u are trying 2 do. U don't have 2 be smart, rich, or talented 2 get a gun. Guns truely only serve a purpose to about 10% or less of the people that actually have them.

If that idiot was going at people with knives and stuff like that, he would have been stopped after the 1st attempted murder or injury. To plant a bomb he's have to be more than averagely educated and intellegent.