JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Our TROTM Reviews!

Hero1

• Admin

The Return of The Magnificent reminds us why we love hip-hop. Swimming upstream against a sea of mediocrity such is the current state of hip-hop TROTM returns to the glory days of the genre. Jazzy Jeff’s second album is poignant, interesting, diverse, fun and most of all a great album to listen to.

Jeff’s previous album was more an A Touch of Jazz collaboration in this album we get all Jazzy Jeff. Every beat, expert scratch and production masterfully handled by The Magnificent. It makes a difference too this album towers over its predecessor. Once you’ve finished with the disc clocking in at a lengthy 80 minutes you will feel uplifted by the quality. It’s the kind of album you would expect if you had listened to all the Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince albums and solo Jazzy Jeff tracks. Jeff was always a sampling producer and one of the best and he displays it on this album. The beats feature great samples, great cuts and great scratches.

The artists Jeff has chosen to work are also a step up up from the previous album and it elevates the tracks to a new level. The lineup of Pos from De La Soul, Big Daddy Kane, J-Live, CL Smooth, Rhymefest, Method Man perfectly fits the laid back vibe. Underground emcees such as Twone Gabz, Kel Spencer, Black Ice, Kardinal Offishall, Dave Ghetto and Peedi Peedi step up to the plate alongside the bigger names.

This is the best hip-hop album in years and each track is of such a high quality it deserves its own review. So here goes:

Hip Hop

This is the perfect start to the album. Although I’ve never heard of Twone Gabs he is very impressive. He is rhymefest’s protege and he lays down a good message on hip-hop. “We can’t let it end, far as I remember you been my best friend (hip-hop) forever ever forever ever and ever ever me and hip-hop together.” It’s a great ode to hip-hop as well as a reflection on the current state of the genre. “now how they gonna say/ I ain’t real unless i’m pulling triggers or gunplay/cause I ain’t hustling pushing drugs or money/I think y’all going about the music the wrong way.” Twone hits us with more great lines “just cause I’m talking sense, don’t mean I’m soft.” He then wonders why “do you measure a cats skill by who the hardest? how bullet wholes to your body solidify an artist?” This track is a true theme that makes you wonder what’s happening to commercial hip-hop while still stating one’s love of hip hop. Twone’s right we can’t let it end this is an album and music that needs to be supported. Adult hp-hop is what Jeff calls it. If you grew up on a tribe called quest, run dmc, de la soul, public enemy etc this track is for you. 10/10

Let Me Hear You Clap

Pos from De La Soul and Jazzy Jeff is an exciting prospect. I can’t help but think a more laidback jazzy beat would have suited him more. Pos still brings it with the rhymes though, “shoulda tried acting, but fronted on trying, unlike Will who make the mills as an actor, so Jeff’s the DJ I’m still the rapper.” Clap, Yeah! Let me hear you clap everybody! It’s a very solid track. 8/10

Run That Back

This is an unbelievable track. I’m a fan of Black Ice and this track he really brought it. The beat is quite cinematic and Black Ice and Eshon weave an emotional tale. It’s quite a solemn track and is definitely one of the best on the album. “6 shots echo from the PJs, next month number one request for the DJs” On life choices “only thing I turned down was the job from my cousin when asked me if I wanna slang ‘caine/nothing could make me do that” and brings it back to “mother fan of the son that get killed she be alone/so she keep praying for him and hoping to bring him home” They then expertly tell the days of Jeff @ block parties, “Saturday cut the streets off/Jeff about to rock the block/give us all what we been feening for/a meaning for life a little break from this constant strife we living in” Then they finish the song with “I live for my people, I die for my people.” This is just a great song and it makes you think. 10/10

The Definition

Just over a year ago I was telling Kel Spencer that Jeff was recording TROTM and he should do a track for it, well he did and this is it! Kel’s got great skills and flow and his verse on “Uuhhh” on Will Smith’s Willennium showed he was an emcee to watch. This beat Jeff’s hooked up for Kel is ridiculous. Great little piano loop. “Jeff and Kel and em is killin em out there/I study yall, what are yall doing out there? Yall perpetrating and piggybacking and copycatting, but yall be copycatting sloppy rapping and y’all be latching on to fads nothing substantial.” Just a touch of this brilliant track. Then kel gives us a promise, “As an emcee I promise you/that I ain’t never gonna do the stuff they do/fist to my heart pinky swear its true/theres some bull**** going on..going on” Kel just runs with this beat with some expertly crafted lyrical wizardry that makes this track a pleasure to listen to again and again. The definition of a real emcee..definitely. 10/10

Touch Me With Your Hands

This beat is deep real deep. Chinah blac who I think was a backup singer for Jill Scott lays a sultry vocal. She doesn’t leave much to the imagination but the track is undeniable. A real smooth laid back groove and it changes the pace of the album up nicely. “its more than penetration/more than a quick sensation/cause when we get together its love at its purest form/because you love me and I know it and you aint afraid to show it” 8/10

Jeff N Fess

This track has a great sample, a heap of scratching and some clever rhymes from Rhymefest. Just another head nodder to add to the album. “if down south is right, then I wanna go left.” Can’t disagree with that. 8/10

Practice

This chorus took a while to get used to it. It’s basically someone speaking, so it’s pretty unusual but the more I listen to this track the more I like it. J-Live is an incredible emcee and every single line of his is quality. He brings it once again. He lays down what it takes to be an emcee of his quality, practice. “I been passed up gassed up bounced around man/thrown off the glass just to see what sticks/I have yet to score big like Allen Iverson maybe someday J could endorse a pair of kicks/but for now as long as I can afford a pair of kicks and a closet to put em in/I’m a put em on/and walk these dogs/get my hustle on/break bread for my younguns so they grow up strong” 3 of the highest quality verses you will ever hear. Another 10 out of 10 track. 10/10

Supa Jean

This is the only track on the album I’m not really feeling. Mainly because the old school ultramagnetic mcs beat doesn’t really suit Jean Grae’s style. Maybe a more old school emcee would have been better. The beat is dope and so are the rhymes but they just don’t seem to match each other. It does give the album a nice old school change up though. 6/10

The Garden

I think this is the best track on the album. It’s a hip-hop classic. The beat is amazing and Big Daddy Kane reminds us what real hip-hop is all about. “Niggaz aint showing if they skills is there/niggaz ain’t trying to build careers.” It also has one of the most poignant choruses “In the garden of hip hop always stay true/and always remember just what a snake do/watch those around you cause they’ll be fake too/and never let the game make you.” His second verse is an ode to hip-hops fallen soldiers, “your lifestyle and your musical gift/in the hearts of many you will truly be missed.” This track is just two masters of hip-hop killing it. I’ll be listening to this for years to come. 10/10

She Was So Flyy

This is one of Jeff’s very best beats. A great chorus that is very catchy ensures you will be putting this one on repeat quite a bit. Kardinal drops a very nice rhyme about one of those girls you will never forget. It’s a simple formula but it works so well. 10/10

Hold it Down

Jazzy Jeff and Method Man? That’s a lethal combination. Jeff starts with a flurry of scratches and sets up Meth nicely. Its another killer beat and Meth kills it with some crazy multi-syllable rhyming and signature sick flow. “crews still stuntin/radio still frontin/and the stuff they still bumping/ got me numb I feel nothing Jeff” This track is the bump a lot of people would feel this “as far as emceeing I ain’t liking what I’m seeing man.” More classic hip hop, it doesn’t get better. 10/10

All I Know

This track is so good I never get tired of it. I’ve been listening to it every day for months. CL Smooth just drops such an exceptional thyme over the perfect beat from Jeff. Unlike the Jean Grae track this completely works and is the perfect mesg of DJ/Producer and emcee. This is just a classic track that rivals all those Pete Rock & CL Smooth albums. Is it too much too ask for a Jazzy Jeff & CL Smooth album? 10/10

Go See The Doctor 2K7

This is a cover of the Kool Moe Dee track. This is potentially the best beat on the album. It’s “you saw my blinker” good from the Homebase album. An unstoppable beat and Twone Gabz once again impresses. It is like a more adult Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince track. Very, very funny. Jeff scratching up “I’m burning up” in the choruses is hilarious. It’s another favorite track of mine but this album has plenty. “It wasn’t worth it to me/now I hurt when I pee” 10/10

My Soul Ain’t For Sale

This is such a smooth track. It gets better with each listen. Raheem delievered the best track “My Peoples” on The Magnificent. For the return he’s come up with something even better. “Turn it up, turn it up so you can hear it proper” The majority of TROTM is straight up hip-hop but the two soul tracks are really impressive and offer a nice change up throughout the album. 10/10

Come On

Well Jeff’s using a familiar sample here most commonly used in Meth & Mary J Blige’s “All I Need.” It’s a refreshing take on the sample and shows off Jeff’s skills in taking a sample but making it your own. Dave Ghetto provides a truly touching and inspirational rap. “they say we living in the last days hard times upon us..” “they say we all lost so let your thoughts be your guide and recognize what I’m spitting is much more than a rhyme.” It’s an emotional song and it really makes an impact. 10/10

Brand New Funk 2K7

This track is going to be hard for a lot of Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince fans. Brand New Funk is a hip-hop classic so it’s gonna be a hard one to re-do. No one better than Jeff to do it though. He re-does the beat and it makes it sound a lot better than the original. Peedi gives plenty of nods to Will and JJFP. Is Peedi’s verses better than Will’s? Probably not but he does rhyme very fast over the beat and it gives a nice new fresh take on an old song. If you forgot about the original this new version does sound great. Great beat and some quick clever rhymes. 8/10

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, after this review I really can't wait. All the trax that I've heard so far are dope. And I'm guessing the rest of the songs is gonna be that too!

Edited by viber_91

Hip Hop

I love the timeless beat on this one. Great intro and start 2 the album. Twone Gabs is nice on the mic. There's a bar or 2 that i'm not a big fan of due 2 the tasteless line here and there, but this is my 1st time hearing him. He's definitely got potential 2 do big things. I love the way this beat is layered and topped off with Jazzy's scratches. Beats like this are an emcee's dream come true. 8/10

Let Me Hear You Clap

Lovin' this joint. It actually feels like it could be on any of the De La albums. Pos comes with his usual rhymes sceme and flow...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Jazzy's beat has a looping piano sample over a steady soul-clap Hip-Hop beat. 10/10

Run That Back

Wow!! In the dictionary under the word "flawless" is a pic of this song being created in the studio. Amazing! The steady but chunky beat is soooooo good. The mellow vibes kinda remind me of some Tribe Called Quest joints. Excellent vocals on the track 2. I just love the solid sound 2 this one. 10/10

The Definition

Hip-Hop is alive and well...just ask Jazzy + Kel. Kel sounds right at home over the summery, pianoy, breezy, beat. Much better than some of the more agressive stuff he's rapped over the past. And lyrics for lyric, he's broken Hip-Hop down 2 a science. This track is untouchable. 10/10

Touch Me With Your Hands

Jazzy gets grown and sexy on this one. Chinah Blac sounds great but lyrically she isn't saying much that wasn't said by many over-sexed 90's R-N-B artists. The neo-soul track also isn't breaking any new ground...but it doesn't matter cuz it's so good. I'm wondering if this is the same singer that opened up for Musiq a few years ago under the same name. 8/10

Jeff N Fess

This comes across as the track intended 2 grab some of the more commercial fans...tho' i would never call this track "commerical Hip-Hop." I love the energy of the beat, tho' it left me wanting just a bit more. Rhymefest is good...but i also didn't feel the explict lyrics 2 much. They just seemed kinda outta place. To me, this is my 2nd least favorite track. It kinda reminds me of "The Magnificent" tho'...and it's always nice when an artists does something that kinda pulls from a previous project. 7/10

Practice

Wooo-we!! Another dope one. The straight Hip-Hop sound just doesn't get old. Probably cuz peeps like me have been deprived of it 4 so long. I love that J-Live is on the joint 2. Other than being a dope emcee, he's the only cat who waz on the 1st album...so he kinda helps tie the project down. Man, this is another one i'll be playing loud all summer. 10/10

Supa Jean

I've only remotely familiar with Jean Grae but from what i've heard, i like her style. And i like her on this joint. This is another beat 2 keep things hype, nicely contrasting the smoother stuff on the album. Just straight rhymes and a classic sound. It's not a stand-out joint, but good none the less. 7/10

The Garden

Heavy. I love this. BDK needed 2 do something and he needed the proper oulet 2 do it just right. Jazzy's album is that perfect outlet. The beat is heavy and kinda unique. It's also got that solid, warm feel. 10/10

She Was So Flyy

I love the retro feel on this one. I'm not totally feeling the vocals, but the lyrics are dope. I don't have alot 2 say abou this track...i think i need 2 listen 2 it some more. 7/10

Hold it Down

Back in the 90's, if u told me that DJ Jazzy Jeff and Method Man were gonna do a song 2gether. I would be hesitant 2 believe it, but if i did, i would think the song would be just like this. It's a mix of the street and soul. The uptempo sound is perfect and Meth just flow right with the beat. 9/10

All I Know

I've had the EP since it came out and this song is still amazing 2 me. The mellow synth-heavy sound mixed with C.L's classic and slick vocals is just dope. Kinda the JJ+Mef joint....if u told me Jazzy Jeff + C.L. were doing a track 2gether, i would assume it'd come out just like this. It's the perfect mix of their styles and personalities. 10/10

Go See The Doctor 2K7

Crazy. Old school is alive and well. The humor and fun approach 2 a message like this just doesn't happen anymore. The beat is good, but a little light weight compared 2 the others...then again, it follows "All I Know." I love the hook on this song. 9/10

My Soul Ain’t For Sale

Perfect. Hip-Hop meets Soul. Grown and intellegent. Slick and smooth. So many great things can be said about this song. The vibe of this song will make any bad day get brighter. Raheem is the man. He needs Jeff 2 handel his next album. I love that this joint is getting spins on "adult contemporary soul" radio. 10/10

Come On

Heavy but not preachy. Dave Ghetto is the truth. The smooth beat and the Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell sample is the what Hip-Hop is all about. Only Jazzy can take a sample that's been used 100 times and make it interesting. Great song. 10/10

Brand New Funk 2K7

Ummm...hmmm. I'm just disappointed with this Peedie is the weakest artist on the album and i think he's rhymes are average and occiasionally lacking taste. It's just not right. Why waste the time and effort recording this and finishing the album off with this track. I'll never know. 6/10

I actually agree with Tim on nearly everything...that's why alot of my reviews were short and sweet. There are a few samples on the album that have been used so many times. But instead of being boring and unoriginal, Jeff has masterminded these samples in a way that is totally fresh and actually makes a true Hip-Hop head feel at home...remembering a time when alot of music this good was coming out. Jeff has become one of the best producers of all time. The fact that he single handedly produced the album is great cuz the album just fits 2gether. These days we are so used 2 albums where every song has a different producer, which isn't always a bad thing, but often is and keeps the sound of the "album" everywhere. While 1 or 2 of the artists are clearly weaker than the rest, the talent on the album is all pretty strong if not amoungst the best. Jeff's scratching is on point and all over the album. I love that he didn't let this be mostly a production album and kept DJing 1st and foremost. The interludes are entertaining 2...tho' i'm sure a few months down the road i'll be making a copy of the album with just the songs 2 cram on an extra track or 2 of the EP.

Compared 2 The Magnificent, the new album is definitely better, stronger, and all part of the evolution. I do wish that V, Paul Yamz, Baby Blak, Chef Word, and a few others were on this album, but maybe next time. The sound over all has definitely strengthened and will draw lots of attention to Jeff's overlooked talent as a producer.

Overall the album is amazing. It could be considered for the best Hip-Hop album released in the last 10 years. No lie. It's imporant that us fans go out and get this album. The music industry sucks. The commercial state of Hip-Hop is litereally 99% pure trash. Record sales are slacking. Go out and buy this album in the music stores the day it drops or i will personally kill u.

I'll keep this short but sweet. Probably make more sense when you hear it.

HIP HOP

A great intro song. HIP-HOP a friend? Maybe once again thats true.

LET ME HEAR YOU CLAP

We heard this beat a while back, and i've been a big fan of De La Soul for ages. This kinda what we got on The Grind Date but with Jeff's magic touch on the beats. Pos delivers his usual flow that works well. Another shout out to JJFP in this tune.

RUN THAT BACK

I love the music on this. Simple, but layered perfectly. I like these guys lyrics on this too. 2 different styles that compliment each other well. Nothing outstanding but do the song justice. A big song to Big Jeff up.

THE DEFINITION

We all no Kel got skills. Well once again he probably threw this track together quickly but you so wouldn't know. He never misses a beat and spits the truth on this. More of the same from him but thats what we want. Jeff's beat i think is pretty different to what Kel usually has. But it works well with that Piano. I hope Jeff and Kel do more tracks together.

TOUCH ME WITH UR HANDZ

Well my love for RnB has dissolved abit as i have grown up, but there's still some good stuff out there and artists i respect. This song has a lovely chill-out beat. Not incredibly loving the vocals. No offence to ChinahBlac its just not really my style.

JEFF n FESS

We all heard this im sure now. I still love it. Definatley an unintentional club banger. Not written to be a floor-filler but its got that about it. This could mix well into any set of Hip-Hop, Rock, Electro.... anything. I love it, and Rhymefest could be getting pretty big soon.

PRACTICE

Not a Game people... Loved J-Live since The Magnificent. This guy must be one of the smartest rappers out there. So let him brag, and tell it how it is. Another killer sound from Jeff, just the cut to the chorus with the guy speaking, thats just original and suits the track so well.

SUPA JEAN

Female MC's. Not really followed them as much as i should. Jeff rips it up old skool style of the wheels with a classic beat. Jean Grae is pretty cool i guess. I'm Still getting into this track i think

THE GARDEN

Now this is a sound and a half, i just love the sounds in this, can't really explain it, just listen. Big Daddy Kane spits something that people have either just been scared to say or just haven't really thought about it. This track is the real situation. Awesome track

SHE WAS SO FLYY

You hear this at the start you think it should be playing at some posh classy club, until the MC hits. This is proper Hip-Hop with a classy beat. Great music, and pretty hard hitting style vocals seem to work well with it. The Chorus is also unorthodox to the music but again it plays well against it.

HOLD IT DOWN

Jeff's got a way of giving MC's a different sound to rap on with this album, and this track with Method Man is no different. Very different to his usual beats but this is a great Collab, and Jeff tears it up on the Wheels. Typical Method Man and thats a good thing to hear his opinion on the Hip-Hop game right now.

ALL I KNOW

Always had respect for Pete Rock & CL Smooth. This is a collab that should have happened years back. Simple As

GO SEE THE DOCTOR 2K7

This will just make you laugh. Pretty simple beat but Jeff throws in some clever stuff. Twone Gabz is just funny as hell. Take a note from this guys book people lol.

MY SOUL AIN'T FOR SALE

Well is aid i wasn't a huge RnB fan these days, but this track is the real deal. Smooth sounding vocals backed with Jeff's magic touch, reminds me of My Peoples abit.

COME ON

Familiar sounding tune with Jeff's touch. Not the most original track on the album but solid enough, and plays off the last track pretty well. Jeff lets Dave Ghetto take this one but dropping the levels it seems for him to shine.

BRAND NEW FUNK 2K7

I don't care what most of you think of this. What did you honestly expect, i can't see how you could want anymore from this track except for having Will himself on it. This could be good in the underground clubs.

9.3/10 How precise, lol

Awesome stuff, can't wait to pick up the proper CD in May