Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP WITHOUT CURSING

DevilsJim89

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Prince
Daedalus, if you want one-on-one conversations with nobody else contributing their $0.02, then I suggest you try using Private Messages. Edited by Prince

[quote=bigted,Aug 16 2004, 08:31 AM]and for President Bush and Dan Quale to get on 2Pac in '92 was wrong! :cussing:[/quote]
Yeah. I'm a huge 2pac fan. They got on him becuz of his 2pacalyspe Now. I'm not sure which song it was that "influenced" 2 teens 2 kill a state trooper. I think it'z on the Ressurection DVD,

They got on him 4 that, his story bout killing cops. Him, and Ice T. There may have been others at that time.

I remember when Snoop said they can't get on us anymore. <--- refering 2 Eminem.

What made whoever it was go after Eminem?

[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 16 2004, 04:52 PM]Did jesus ever say cursing was bad?[/quote]
Here's where things get crazy and the topic gets locked were we have start all over and realize we are talking about Hip-Hop music that isn't loaded down with cussing...but here i go.

---

[url="http://www.christianitytoday.com/cl/2004/001/20.19.html"]http://www.christianitytoday.com/cl/2004/001/20.19.html[/url]

Campus Life, January/February 2004

Mute the Cussing?

I'm a Christian and I don't curse. Is it wrong to watch movies and listen to music with cursing in them as long as I don't use those words?

Great question. Let's start by asking what the Bible says about "cursing," "cussing" or "swearing." Scripture takes a clear stand against taking God's name in vain (Exodus 20:7). That means it's clearly wrong for a Christian to say "Oh my God" or "Jesus Christ" as a curse word.

The Bible doesn't say much about specific curse words beyond misusing God's name. It doesn't say much about the words that can earn a movie a PG-13 or R rating—or a CD an "explicit lyrics" warning label. But Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." That pretty much eliminates profanity or any other words you or someone else might think are "unwholesome."

Should you listen to people take God's name in vain on TV, in movies, or in music? That depends on two things. One, is the rest of the content in that movie or CD helpful in any way? Paul wrote that we should use "helpfulness" as a standard for choosing what's acceptable—and what's not (1 Corinthians 6:12). In other words, if the rest of the movie or song is helpful or edifying, it may be possible for you to overlook a few bad words.

And two, ask yourself whether hearing those words makes you more likely to use (or think) unwholesome words. In that case, you don't need it. David's prayer in Psalm 19:14 should be ours, too: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Anyone interested in this may also wanna check out...

www.hmcoc.org/pdfs/Cussing.PDF

Hey now cursing is just like using slang there's a time and a place for it, like when you're chillin' wit your friends at a party you say different things than you would if you were at a church or a buisiness meeting,and I couldn't imagine the president sayin' "It's off the hizzle, fo shizzle"! :roll: And another thing if anyone wants to hear some good Gospel rap, pick up KRS-ONE's "Spiritual Minded" CD, nobody bought this album when it came out in 2002 'cause they rather listen to songs about pimps and hoes! :tear: He said a great line in one of his songs called "The Struggle Continues": God created all music including rap! In another song "Take Ya Time" he said a line that's also pretty intriguing: "When you meet a man take some time to learn him/Yes it's still sacred to be a virgin", that's another thing that's not a good potray by the media, they make sex seem so cool, so a song like this one wouldn't get airplay, I was really shocked that "Jesus Walks" would actually get popular! :werd: I remember in high school some punks would make fun of any kid that said that he or she was a virgin, it's like you're not "cool" if u don't do drugs or have sex! :cussing: I could tell y'all I'm not gonna have sex wit anyone anymore until I really care about that person 'cause it just doesn't feel right! Edited by bigted

• Admin
i think the point of using a curse word would be to emphasize a point..but if you are just constantly using it..surely it would devalue that.. then if half your song is curse words.. then you mustnt be saying much...

[quote=Hero1,Aug 17 2004, 03:10 AM]i think the point of using a curse word would be to emphasize a point..but if you are just constantly using it..surely it would devalue that.. then if half your song is curse words.. then you mustnt be saying much...[/quote]
That's what i'm talkin' about. Can i get a witness!!