JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP WITHOUT CURSING

DevilsJim89

I guess its good that my parents do kinda shadow me and question me to what music I listen to. Good parenting. But I have no problem with a little cursing in music but when there's tons than I don't like it. I'm pretty sure of myself that I don't let the music change who I am. I don't curse alot in real life, and I don't go killing people and all that. My parents also give me the crap like "why do you need to hear cursing?" and "whats so great bout those words", "you dont need to hear". I think it also has to do a little with my religion. Christianity. My dads like "as a christian you shouldn't want that"..blah blah blah. Look, I hate christian music, I really do. Its the same crap in every song. lol. I agree though with y'all...I'm 16 years old and I should be able to choose what kind of music I want to listen to and be smart enough to know not to let the music change who I am. Turned out the CD wasn't too great anyway. No I didn't see Bad Boys 2 either, I want too tho but they never said I couldn't....parents just don't understand..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LL Cool J Doesn' curses.
well said DevilsJim89, music only influences our lives if we let it happen.
but JJ+ FP proved that you can make some good music without cursing, but it seems that everyone has forgotten it.
man i hate cursing in music.

you can transmit your message to many more ppl if you do not curse Edited by iceonly

The only problem i have with cussing is the majority of the time when i listen to music its on MTV or on the radio and its all cut. It annoying when it ruins the flow and they cut half the song out. Its like that Eamon song, every1 knew what words he was sayng but they were all cut out and the song ended up sounding dumb.

But other than that i dont mind it, some times it gets a bit excessive like TLC's im so good at being bad. My parents dont really hear much of what i listen to, and they certainly dont listen to the words bcoz they say rap music is just talking????? I dont think they would be that pleased if they knew what i was listening to even tho i am 20, but they brought me up not to swear and they have no idea how much i do it out of the house lol.

I dont even think its the cussin that is bad tho, its more the song content too e.g Janet Jacksons moist and warmth. I think they would freak if they knew about that lol.

Here's my responce 2 various things brought up in some of the replies.

Starting with Julie's. Some songs/albums are deamed explict becuz of their content and not the words used. Usually that's becuz the subject matter is a bit extreem for young listeners even tho' they don't cuss once (just like how u used Janet's "Warmth" as an example).

Also, i do know other people personally who don't like 2 hear non-stop cussing and explicit stuff. Some people don't care, some people just don't wanna hear. Overdone cussing just shows ignorance and a lack of creativity. How many songs do u know that are loaded down with cussing are by intelligent people who actually say something important in their song. It's more than morals or personal standards...it's also about what u are gonna spend your free time listening 2. Why waste that time making yourself feel like crap or making yourself dumber by listening 2 50 Cent's or Nelly's music when u can listen 2 someone who has a brain?!

About the movies...i agree it's kinda silly 4 parents 2 let their younger kids see movies that are rated R and then get picky about what their kids are listening 2. HOWEVER, consider this also. All the cussing and the violence in the movies is strictly part of a storyline and it's also something they'll never see again or only watch it once in awhile when it comes out on video or DVD. With music, younger kids (even up 2 the mid-teens) think their artists are really living what they talk about...which is a joke. On top of that, they'll listen 2 the songs over and over and over again, while they'd only watch the movie every once in awhile. Younger people are more impressional and i certainly don't think they need 2 be trying 2 be like 50 Cent, Nelly, Ludacris, etc. When there are people like Fresh Prince and LL Cool J (which i grew up watching), i don't see how they could even give those other fools a chance.

Oh yeah...and "Changes" by 2Pac has more than just the n-word in it. And we all know LL spent half of his career on the more explict tip...i'm feeling his current stuff a bit more than G.O.A.T....that's 4 sure.

Guest Prince
[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 16 2004, 05:52 PM]Did jesus ever say cursing was bad?[/quote]
If we are all following examples here... My question is for you Daedalus; did Jesus ever curse?

Guest Prince
[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 16 2004, 07:13 PM][b]BUT that doesn't even matter. Jesus didn't breed horses, so that means christians can't breed horses?[/b][/quote]
Yeah I assume so. Those things should be natural and not forced.

Yeah AJ you're right about LL Cool J, but the only album that was really explicit was "The G.O.A.T.", but even though he cursed a lot on the album though he had songs like "I Can't Think", "You and Me", and "Homicide" where he was very creative with, I thought that the Cannibus battle might have influenced the more frequent cursing in that album 'cause many people were considering LL soft for doing songs like "I Need Love" and "Hey Lover", but I think he realised that doing an album like the G.O.A.T. was not him so he released "10" without curses and it was a solid album but not his best work, I like "Mama Said Knock You Out" the best from him. The truth is that today's hip-hop is garbage, it doesn't matter if there's cursing in it or not it just doesn't make sense, except Kanye West, he's the only creative one in it, Mase's song "Welcome Back" has no curses but I think it sucks regardless. I like listening to Public Enemy, KRS-ONE, LL Cool J, Nas, 2Pac, and Rakim the most besides JJ&FP 'cause even though there might be curse words in between their songs actually make sense. I don't think 2Pac would've released "Hit 'Em Up" if he didn't get shot, he obviously felt a lot of pain and felt betrayed when he was shot. A lot of rappers say "N.I.G.G.A."
but 2Pac had a philosophy behind it from the Black Panther Movement that his mother was involved with. For those of you who don't know to 2Pac "N.I.G.G.A" meant "never ignorant getting goals accomplished". :werd:

Guest Prince
[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 16 2004, 07:17 PM]lol ok
Jesus din't write songs, so christians can't write songs?[/quote]
Folk songs and things have existed forever... I would be surprised if Jesus never sang.

Guest Prince
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I find it hard to believe the first thing he would say when he got nailed to a cross is "****". Swear words were just something hardly anyone used. They existed yes, but nobody really used them. People do all the time nowadays, but if you go back 30years, and swore, most people would be shocked.

• Members
if you go back 30 years people DID swear but they used diffent swear words a while ago people were shoked if you said damn now people dont find that offencive anymore. now imagine the same 2000 years ago, people DID swear, probably alot more then now since life was much bloodier and they had now edjucation and such they just used diffrent words. He did not say **** no becouse **** is an english word. But He probably used words in Aramaic to express he was angry or apauled by something. (Not when he got nailed to the cross tough becouse acording to christianity he didnt exprience that as a bad thing) Edited by Daedalus Mortality

Guest Prince
[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 16 2004, 07:33 PM]He did not say **** no becouse **** is an english word.[/quote]
You know what I meant... And opinions aren't going to change through debating like this... Let Jim have his thread back...