JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP WITHOUT CURSING

DevilsJim89

There's been some recent talk about what rapper or groups curse. I hate cursing in rap even though I can put up with a little bit of it. Can someone please give me some groups to listen too who don't curse. I ask this because well I just bought 2pac's "Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z" CD today and my parents flipped. And I would also like to listen to non-curse music as well.

Heres my list I know of so far...

DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince
Run-DMC
BizMarkie
Kid N Play
MC Hammer
Nick Cannon
Arrested Development
Queen Latifah (most of her stuff)

anyone else?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there's nothin' wrong wit listenin' 2 2Pac even though he curses, but so your parents don't flip on you, get the edited version of the albums. I don't think that there's nothin' wrong wit cursing in rap if there's a point to the song, but if the song is pointless then it's not good. :werd:

[quote=Prince,Aug 15 2004, 10:03 PM]Regarding edited versions... There wouldn't be much left of "Hit 'Em Up"!!![/quote]
True. I have that on my greatest hits.

The only edited verse song I like more than the unedited of his wit-out a doubt is "How Do U Want It". it'z so phat wit the sound effects and it'z not remastered on the Greatest Hits. I love it.

2Pac actually recorded a good bit of trax without cussing. And he recorded alternate versions 2 most of his singles where he dosen't cuss at all. However, Deathrow is really stupid and hasn't put most of those versions out...they just do sloppy editing jobs on the explict versions. Off the top of my head, here are some trax he recorded with alternate-clean versions. The songs with astrics (*) are songs i have the alternate lyrics 2.

Pour Out A Little Liqure (Thug Life)
2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted*
How Do You Want It*
I Ain't Mad At Cha*
Live & Die In L.A.*

Keep in mind songs like Keep Ya Head Up, I Get Around, Rebel of The Underground, Brendas Got A Baby, Trapped, Toss It Up, Do For Love and Better Dayz don't have any cussing....unless u count the N-word in "Trapped."

Back on the topic tho'...i personally don't like cussing. I don't talk like that myself and don't like 2 hear other people talk like that extensively. I think it reflects on that person's respect 4 themselves and others, shows their intellect, and what kinda person they are. I'll listen 2 anybody who has talent and something good 2 say, reguardless of the words they use. Edited by JumpinJack AJ

Guest Prince
[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Aug 16 2004, 05:37 AM]2Pac actually recorded a good bit of trax without cussing. And he recorded alternate versions 2 most of his singles where he dosen't cuss at all. However, Deathrow is really stupid and hasn't put most of those versions out...they just do sloppy editing jobs on the explict versions. Off the top of my head, here are some trax he recorded with alternate-clean versions. The songs with astrics (*) are songs i have the alternate lyrics 2.

Pour Out A Little Liqure (Thug Life)
2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted*
How Do You Want It*
I Ain't Mad At Cha*
Live & Die In L.A.*

Keep in mind songs like Keep Ya Head Up, I Get Around, Rebel of The Underground, Brendas Got A Baby, Trapped, Toss It Up, Do For Love and Better Dayz don't have any cussing....unless u count the N-word in "Trapped."

Back on the topic tho'...i personally don't like cussing. I don't talk like that myself and don't like 2 hear other people talk like that extensively. I think it reflects on that person's respect 4 themselves and others, shows their intellect, and what kinda person they are. I'll listen 2 anybody who has talent and something good 2 say, reguardless of the words they use.[/quote]
Also Dear Mama and Changes are no cursing... Unless you count the n-word though.

I really want to hear some of those songs with the alternate clean versions though.

Hey Jim I have a question to ask you, Did your parents let you watch Bad Boys II 'cause if they did then they should have no problem wit letting you listen to any hip-hop song 'cause Will Smith cursed a lot in that movie. :werd: I personally don't understand why parents trip so much over cursing 'cause it's not like they never cursed before, this is no different than sex and drugs when you get to be a teenager, you're gonna find out about it, in a way it's good that ur parents get on you about this 'cause they show they care, but once they understand that you have common sense to know that there's a time and place for saying certain things then they should be cool wit that, I think the best thing you could do is quietly sit down and talk to your parents, I talked to my parents about that when I was younger and they understood me. Hey now the world is not edited, you can see and hear things worse than what's in a movie or a song, it's only entertainment that we're talking about here so I don't why we should get all upset about somebody cursing in a song. The only thing that I'm personally not cool wit all the time is when the rappers say the 'n' word so much but that's how they talk on the streets and we shouldn't limit what they say if they want to say it since we have the 1st Amendment in America and for President Bush and Dan Quale to get on 2Pac in '92 was wrong! :cussing: Edited by bigted

Its true tho! Parents will let their children go and see films such as bad boys II where people are getting killed, beaten up and drug usage....yet the moment they hear a cuss word in a song it automatically gets turned off!!

"And last week i seen a Swarchaneggar movie,
Where he's shooting all sorts of these motherf*ckers with an uzi.
I see these three little kids up in the front row
Screaming "GO" with their 17 year old uncle.
I'm like guidance,
Ain't they got the same Mums and Dads
That got made when I asked if they like violence?"

Eminem - Who Knew

I thinks this lyric is so true!

• Members
I dont know what you guys are talking about, besides people on this forum I dont know anyone who has problems with cussing in songs or with parents who have problems with cussing in songs. Sometimes the parents are even to lose about it in my opinion, when the child is like 8 or such he shouldnt listen to 50cent. But with kids from 12 and over I don't get what the problem is and I dont think I know any kids or parents that do.

Deviljim I dont have anything to do with it, you can like and listen to what you want but I mean youre 16 whats the problem with cussing? Edited by Daedalus Mortality

Guest Prince
[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 16 2004, 03:22 PM]I dont know what you guys are talking about, besides people on this forum I dont know anyone who has problems with cussing in songs or with parents who have problems with cussing in songs. Sometimes the parents are even to lose about it in my opinion, when the child is like 8 or such he shouldnt listen to 50cent. But with kids from 12 and over I don't get what the problem is and I dont think I know any kids or parents that do.

Deviljim I dont have anything to do with it, you can like and listen to what you want but I mean youre 16 whats the problem with cussing?[/quote]
Daedalus, you make it sound asif we should be ashamed of ourselves for not always wanting cussing in music? Jim can listen to what he wants, I personally don't have a problem with it, but it's his decision whether he wants to surround himself with that or not.

• Members
huh Princem, what I said was mainly the same as what you say, only I also ask WHY he doesn't want to listen to it: [i]Deviljim I dont have anything to do with it, [b]you can like and listen to what you want [/b]but I mean youre 16 whats the problem with cussing? [/i]

This is a question, I tell him that he can listen to whatever he wants so he shouldnt be offended and then I ask him why he has a problem with cussing, I never said he should be ashamed of himself. Edited by Daedalus Mortality