JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will is surrounded by "yes" men

sonic1988

Though I agree with tim on some parts, but I'm not sure if that's will's fault. It would be amazing to watch will smith with a johnny depp,

or with sean connery, I'd love him to work with the best of the best directors, producers. I'd love for example to watch will in a frank miller,

bryan singer, scorcese movie. Even though barry directed MIB spielberg was behind the movie, he wanted will, and it worked out great.

I hope we'll get to see more of that.

Will gave up some of his salary for Ali in order to have the movie done properly. I don't think he would allow the amount of money he pulls in to, in any way, limit the quality of the directors or actors he works with, especially now that he's doing a lot of his movies through Overbrook. As Big Willie noted, a primiere director may not necessarily be the best director for a given movie. Will shouldn't work with big name actors or directors for the sake of working with them, especially if they don't fit the movie. We may very well end up with big names but a poor movie.

• Admin

come on now..its obvious the studio wants to keep the budget down so all of Will's latest movies have had no other big name actors..thats why sony won't make bad boys III because paying Will, martin, michael bay and jerry bruckheimer costs too much

come on now..its obvious the studio wants to keep the budget down so all of Will's latest movies have had no other big name actors..thats why sony won't make bad boys III because paying Will, martin, michael bay and jerry bruckheimer costs too much

exactly

I mean that its good that Will is using lesser known people, however he needs to build up his cred by working with the other stars, that's what makes a good actor a great actor. Even if its not some Oscar-type movie, it could be a comedy, but that would be cool as well.

I see no reason Will wouldn't take less money or give up some money in order to make a good movie if he needed to. His status as a 25 million per movie actor doesn't mean that he is limited to 25 million per movie. Actors like Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise have worked with great directors and actors in the past, while still making a lot of money. Their salaries didn't hamstring the production of their movies. No reason Will Smith can't be the same.

Edited by MaxFly

exactly

I mean that its good that Will is using lesser known people, however he needs to build up his cred by working with the other stars, that's what makes a good actor a great actor. Even if its not some Oscar-type movie, it could be a comedy, but that would be cool as well.

I think we need to diffentiate between what we simply want to see (hey, it'd be cool if Will Smith and Tom Cruise did a movie together) and whether what Will is doing is best for his career. He was just named the biggest draw in Hollywood. The named a weekend after him... Two time Oscar nominee... several other awards... Obviously he's doing something right, and his "cred" is at an all time high. He's a great actor in his own right. He's shown that he can have chemistry with just about anyone and draw viewers in by himself, or with an all-star cast. He shouldn't do a movie with another big name just because we think it'd be cool or just for the sake of doing it. The right script needs to come along... both need to be right for their roles.

Will doesnt need to work with big name actors to enhance his cred, if you apply the same principles to rap music Will would be working with 50 Cent, Eminem... etc. Like I've been saying all along, its about getting the right cast a crew for the specific movie, the right cast may result in Kevin James, it might result in Tom Cruise, but whoever it is, it has to be best for the movie. Tim, you said something about Hitch not having any big name stars along side Will, but could you really see a Johnny Depp playing the role Kevin James did, and making it so appealing it stole the show from Will? Kevin James was perfect for that role, regardless of his credibility, no-one else could have played that role as well as he did. In reality, they could get big name actors to act with Will, but is it worth sacrificing a movie just to enhance Wills cred, a cred that doesnt need enhancing. Or is it better to get an unknown actor and have a great movie, and let Wills cred remain the same. All the time Will is topping box office charts and selling over 100mil, his cred is going nowhere, whilst its working, why change it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

He's not surrounded by "yes" men. You have forgot a small detail. Will's not just starring in the movie, he's also producing. And do you know what producers do? They hire directors! It's his job to hire the director, he has creative control over the movies! :thumbsup: