JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ALBUM REVIEWS

Lots of new albums have been coming out. Spread the word and share your opinions here.

TIMBALAND - SHOCK VALUE

Sadly, this is Timbaland's "Born To Reign." He partially abandons his signature sound for new, weirder sound that is no doubt the product of all the hits he's created today's popular acts. Long gone are the Aaliyah, Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliot, Ginuwine, Playa, Nicole Wray, Tweet, and even Bubba Sparxxx cameos. Timbaland R-N-B/Pop singers Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, and Nicole Scherzinger, Hip-Hop and Rap artists Missy Elliot, Dr. Dre, Tony Yayo, 50 Cent, a handful of new artists, and crappy rock groups like THe Hives and Fall Out Boy. I've always been a big fan of Timbaland as a producer and as an emcee. His first solo album and the Timbaland + Magoo albums are amoungst my favs. This album however, doesn't continue that tradition. He still drops raps in his true style, but he also does some of that weird singing u hear on current hits like Omarion's "Ice Box" and the Pussycat Dolls "Wait A Minute." All of the beats are creative and unique, but that dosen't make them all what long-time Timbaland fans will wanna here. I can say this tho'...i am liking the album more with each listen. Here's my fav songs...Give It To Me, Oh Timbaland, Release, The Way I Are, Kill Yourself, Boardmeeting.

MARQUES HOUSTON - VETERAN

He's back with a new one. This album, for the most part, shuns the Hip-Hop influence that has filled his albums since he broke in2 the biz in 1992. The R-N-B sound is full. The album opens with a weak song called "Like This" featuring Young Joc (whatever happened 2 the 'Radio Edit w/o Rap). The production is crappy dirty south stuff, but after u get thru' this one, the album is pretty flawless. "Always & Forever" is a slower steady R-N-B love song. Classic in every way. "Favorite Girl" has a retro edge 2 it as well, tho' it's more upbeat. This is the 1st single off the album that only got moderate attention. "Circle" is the touching 2nd single that is getting alot of sucess (and with an amazing video i might add). Just a heart touching song that talks about the one that go away. This song makes me think about the same girl i thought about when he dropped "All Because of You." "Wonderful" is a breezy, more modern song about the girl in his life. "Exclusively" is a headnodder...yet still slow. "How You Just Gonna" is a sexy and sweet R-N-B groove song. "Hold N' Back" features Mya and Shawnna. The track is laid back, and with the exception of Shawnna being on the track, the song is great. "Kimberly" is about the "freak" in every woman..ha ha. "So Right For Me" had touches of R-N-B from today and yesterday. "Miss Being Your Man" is another heartwrencher about that lost love. If u catch the limited edition version of this album at Target, u'll also get the more upbeat track "Excited." This is one of the best R-N-B albums released since the 2000's. This might be his best album, tho' his 1st solo disc is probably still me fav.

MUSIQ SOULCHILD - LUVAMUSIQ

Another great album. Definitely better than his last, the more experimental SoulStar. "B.U.D.D.Y" is the hit 1st single with a throwback Hip-Hop influence mixed in with Musiq's charm. "Ms.Philadelphia" is a steady tribute 2 a girl. "Teachme" has that vibe that made fans fall in love with him back in 2000. That sweet, soul-infested sound and harmonies. Great song. "Betterman" speeds it up....just feel-good music about that "good" girl in your life. I honestly could spell the whole album out, but let me just say this album is amazing. His signature style is laced thru' out the whole album. Neo-soul, old school R-N-B, and a dash of Hip-Hop. This is probably one of the top 3 albums of 2007. The Best Buy version of the album has 3 bonus tracks that are a lil' weaker than the actual album...but the standard Musiq holds for his music is so high, u still wanna cop this version if u can. Circuit City's version also has a bonus track.

I gotta head 2 work...but later 2nite i'll post reviews of the new Joss Stone, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, and Lloyd.

The Timbaland and Fallout Boy song is one of the best i've heard in a long time

I had a copy of Shock Value about a week early and I was just appalled. It really reminded me of Press Play by Diddy...alot of inventive, but convoluted beats along with no theme in how the album was "shaped." At least Diddy took somewhat of a direction in who his album would appeal to. Timbaland just seemed to do too little with too much. Also, Timbaland attacking Scott Storch pissed me off because I think although Timbaland is great for the singles, an artist can really make an album off of Storch-produced beats. I think secretly Timbaland realized this, and that's why his album is so all-over-the-place so as to not just have 16 singles instead of an album. Well, I think he failed and only made a bunch of songs that just butt-heads with each other.

• 2 weeks later...

LUMIDEE - UNEXPECTED

Lumidee was locked in many people's minds as a one hit wonder. In the summer of 2003, she has a huge hit with her island influenced R-N-B song "Never Leave You (Uh Oh). It got crazy airplay and so did a few of it's remixes. She did follow it up with another single that didn't generate half of the attention it's "Never Leave You" did. Since then, her career has been dead. About 2 months ago, her song "She's Like The Wind" with Tony Sunshine hit the airwaves and caused a big stir and still is. The appropriatly titled Unexpected hit stores yesterday...and it's good.

Lumi's vocals are great. Her voice rings crisp and clear on every track. Whether the song is mellow or upbeat, she handles it. Lumi rhymes here and there and her emcee skillz are pretty impressive. Her flow reminds me of a mixture of Eve and Left Eye's more serious side. Lyrically her rhymes are just an extention of her singing...she doesn't try 2 come off as 2 artists just cuz she can sing and rap. Shaggy and Tony Sunshine bring flava 2 the album, and Snoop Dogg gives a very average verse 2 the song "In It For The Money." The album's only weak spots are the appearances by rappers like Jim Jones, Pitbull, and Noriega. They just aren't good. Over all tho', the album is great. The production bounces between straight R-N-B, breezy island dancehall influenced, dance R-N-B, and Hip-Hop influenced R-N-B. Her danceable songs remind of what Ciara would sound like if she held a higher standard 2 her production and didn't come off so corny at times. Her dancehall influcenced songs are remincent of Rihanna's style. Why the album mixes up the genres a bit, the entire album is radio friendly. Nearly any song could be released as a single and be a het. Yet, the album isn't pop at all. I really like this album and urge those who might think this is something they'd like 2 give it a listen. My favorite songs are She's Like The Wind, Feel Like Makin' Love, Stuck On You, So Cool...Hollywood, In It For The Money, Cute Boy, and Did You Imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

NE-YO - Because of You

Wack title. The name of the album waz "Know Me" but i guess the money hungry people at the label formally known as Def Jam wanted 2 capitalize off the lead single, so they changed the title of the album to the same title as the single, which doesn't really fit as an album title. But what does the title have 2 do with anything...moving on. "Because of You" is a great song. It's a uptempo feel-good R-N-B track...and Ne-Yo's tribute to Michael Jackson. However, the album takes a bad turn on the 2nd single. "Crazy" starts off with a wack out-of-place rap from Jay-Z. The beat is also very boring compared 2 the stuff on his previous album. The problem with a weaker beat like this is that it shows that Ne-Yo is no Usher or Luther. Don't get me wrong...good voice, but the beat doesn't support his vocals like his previous work. "Can We Chill" is somewhere between the 1st 2 songs. Another upbeat danceable track, yet it lacks the polish of "Because of You." Luckily "Do You" redeems the album's vibe. Great song. "Leaving Tonight" is another really good track. The soul is there and Jennifer Hudson makes a nice appearance. Just a great soul duo. Sadly, this album has a lot of songs that are just average (unlike his 1st one). Addicted, Ain't Thinking About You, Sex With My Ex, Angel, and Make It Work are all pretty boring compared to Ne-Yo's level of craft. The production is so 'blah' that i haven't even listened 2 the lryics...which are good, i'm sure. "Say It" is a step in the right direction. "Go On Girl" wraps up the album with a sweet melody and a nice mid-tempo vibe. Over all, i gotta say that Ne-Yo is a great song writer and he has a nice voice. However, the production on this album is pretty tired. Maybe he rushed it, maybe the label formally known as Def Jam rushed him...but this album is nothing compared 2 his 1st. The mellow, soulful vibe and emotional lyrics of "So Sick" are not found on this album. The sweet young love feel of "Sexy Love" ain't here either...and neither is the unique subject matter approach of "When You're Mad." If u get the album at Wal-Mart, u can get an hour long DVD featuring all his videos, performances and interviews. I'm about 2 watch it, but since it's mostly full of stuff from his 1st album, i thing it's save 2 assume the DVD is great.

JOE - Ain't Nothin' Like Me

This might be the R-N-B album of the year. Joe stays consistant by bringing quality R-N-B once again. "Get To Know You" opens the album with a nice urban vibe featuring Nas. It's followed by the lead single "If I Was You Man." Just a smooth R-N-B joint with an edge 2 it. "If I Want Her" continues the R-N-B sound with a dash of Hip-Hop tossed in the mix. "Where You At" smooths it out, those the bass is nice and gives this song an edge as well. One of Hip-Hop's truly promising emcees pops on the track 2...Papoose fits right in on the track. "My Love" is the 1st straight R-N-B joint on the album. It's a bit slower with a real nice piano. Just flawless. R-N-B is back!! "Ain't Nothin' Like Me" is just as perfect as all the other songs...except Joe continues his relationship with G-Unit as Tony Yayo and Young Buck make an appearance on the track. Whatever happen 2 Radio Edits w/o Rap...ha ha. The album is 14 trax deep. I can honestly say that ever single song is great. Every song has the total package, dope flawless, timeless production iced up with great vocals and relevant lyrics. All i can say is if u like R-N-B at all, BUY THIS ALBUM!!! It's perfect. If u pick it up at Circuit City, u'll get a bonus track called "That's What I Like." BBBUUUYYY TTTHHHIIISSS AAALLLBBBUUUMMM!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

BONE: THUGS-N-HARMONY - Strength & Loyalty

I haven't actually bought a Bone album since The Art of War (other than their double disc Greatest Hits album). I love Bone, but just didn't feel a strong erge 2 get the album. This one grabbed me more after reading a VIBE article...without even hearing "I Tried." The album opens with "Flow Motion" and "Bump In The Trunk." Both trax aren't reall the Bone sound...lacking a dark feel. Sadly, the production isn't that great...not bad...but definitly not impressive. "Wind Blow" takes on a twangy, slower kinda feel. I can't tell if the chorus is creative...or just bad. "I Tried" featuring Akon is next...and their 1st single. This song is the truth. Akon laces them with a nice actoustic laid back beath with piano and strings. Bone brings a song with a message. The lyrics are great and i'm sure they are identifying with people all over the world. I know they really have reached out 2 me during this time in my life. Akon is great on the hook...and doesn't come off as the "go-to" guy at the moment. "Lil' Love" is an interesting song. Jermaine Dupri provides the beat...which is good considering the kind of beats he's been giving rap acts recently (as many of them want crappy southern beats like Grillz). Mariah Carey continues her musical relationship with the fellaz in the seemingly akward relationship that comes off as fire every time. Bow Wow makes an alright adult appearance on the track as well. The song deals with relationships and i could see this as another single. "C-Town" pairs the group with Twista again as a mix of the biggest rhyme racers out now...who actually have good lyrics when u can make them out. That beat is standardly good. "Order My Steps (Dear Lord)" pairs the group with Gospel/R-N-B-Soul artist Yolonda Adams. The production is standard her as well...mixing a steady drum beat is a fast staggering percussion. It's a spiritutal song yet nothing like "Tha Crossroads." "Streets" is a unique collabo with Will.I.Am and The Game. I'm a big fan of Will.I.Am but this song doesn't impress me 2 much. At 1st i thought the beat was okay...but it has surprisingly grown with me. I'm not a fan of Game, but he holds his on on the track. I wish Will.I.Am spit a verse on this one. "9mm" has a nice haunting piano track that reminds u kinda of earlier Bone stuff. Sadly the song isn't that impressive 2 me. Either cuz lyrically, it's ground they have treaded on b4 or just cuz gun talk is so played out in general. This also reminds me of a beat they'd put on one of those doctored 2Pac albums. "So Good So Right" has a very feel good feel 2 it. At a 1st listen, u'll think it's weird 2 have Bone flowing over a track like this (tho' it's not the 1st time they've done it) but b4 u can finish that thought, u get wrapped up in the song. Mo Thugz artist Felicia sweetens the hook up real nice. This will be one of the songs i play in the car this summer. "Sounds The Same" has a nice solid smooth vibe. It opens with a nice sung hook 2 set the pace. "Never Forget Me" has Akon coming back 4 a song that has a good beat. Yet the synth in it sounds it waz sampled from a cheesy fantasy videogame. The vocals and lyrics make it all better tho.' In all, i'd give the album a 7.5 out of 10...possibly an 8 after a get 2 know it better. The production is the albums weakest issue. Some of the beats are just average or don't compliment their sound. The lyrics and presence on nearly every track are very good and do a good job of taking your mind off the weak beats on the songs it applies 2. The album is pretty good and they work great as a trio...but i wish they'd work things out and get Bizzy back.

YOLONDA ADAMS - The Best of Me

Yolonda Adams is an amazing artist 2 me. For those that don't know, she's a Gospel artist, but much of her music could crossover with the right marketing since not all her songs are written as obiously spiritual. Her music is incredibly inspiring and 4 those looking for that kinda music, this might be an album u wanna check out, as it throws 2gether her hits from the 90's thru' now. I only have one album by her, and i've intended 2 pick up the rest...and this album has only strenghtened that want. It opens with the uptempo hit "Victory" from "The Gospel" soundtrack (which is a great soundtrack 4 those who like Gospel). "I Gotta Believe" has a polished acoustic sound and her voice soars. Definitely a self-powering song for those who have felt alone and let down. The album flows nicely in2 "Yeah"...continuing the acoustic sound, yet it's a bit grittier this time. I've been a fan of this song 4 awhile. "Open My Heart" is the song that got me in2 Yolonda Adams back in the late 90's. This song waz actually a hit on Hip-Hop/R-N-B/Urban radio (back b4 the radio totally went 2 hell). Openly gospel, it opened some doors back then. This long is fueled be a basic piano and soaring vocals. The song deals with accepting your flaws and asking for God to take control. "Fragile Heart" is a comtemporary R-N-B song that talks about forgetting all the small meaningless things in life for what's really important. "Be Blessed" is another stress releaser. One of many songs on this album that could have a place on the radio with proper promotion. "Never Give Up" is about keeping your dream and, well...never giving up. "I Believe I Can Fly" has Yolonda pairing up with Gerald Levert for a cover of R. Kelly's megahit. This album 1st appeared on GL's "Voices" duet album. If u are looking for good music featuring a mix of contemporary R-N-B and a warm acoustics from one of the greatest voices of our generation...peep Yolonda Adams. If u love Gospel music or are interested in it but scared 2 commit 2 it, Yolonda Adams would be the artist 2 introduce u 2 it. And these 12 songs may be the ones 2 do it with. 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

R. KELLY - DOUBLE UP

This is the kinda album u can kinda judge by the cover. The cover is boring, too simple, and played out with his name in an iced out font. The music reflects the same. This is probably his most boring album. Notice i didn't say "bad"...just boring. Boring in the sense that one of the greatest producers, songwriters, and artists of all time coming out with product that doesn't reflect even a portion of his talent. His lyrics go from one extreem to the other. Some of them of the subject matter is creative and fresh...some is common and played out. Some of the writing is quality, some of it is similar to the crap on the radio. His sound has gotten kinda watered down 2. Some of the production is strong and some is kinda generic...suitable for just any artist. His vocals are what u'd expect from the R....but over half of his guests are worthy company (Usher, Keyshia Cole, Snoop Dogg, T-Pain)...then there is everyone else (T.I., Swizz Beatz, Nelly, Huey, Polow Da Don).

The album opens with "The Champ" which has great lyrics and energy. The whole fact that Swizz Beats is featured is a joke...u can only hear his turned down vocals in the background chanting...which is 4 the best. "Double Up" with Snoop Dogg has a nice slick kind of sound but the subject matter is tasteless overdone sex stuff. "Tryin' To Get A Number" is just straight wack. The beat is awful, the lyrics and chorus are stupid. Nelly does what he does on pretty much every soon. "Get Dirty" with Chamillionaire also has awful production. The subject matter is tiring but Chamillionaire's flow is nice...reguardless of the boring subject matter. "Leave Your Name" is a nice track with a smooth piano supported track. R. Kelly sings on this track...ha ha. His voice is synthed up from time to time. Real nice song tho.' I expected "Freaky In The Club" to be a crunked out high energy track by the title. But it's actually got a light-weight breezy sound that's actually nice. The unimaginitive lyrics don't fit over the sound at all. Part of me still likes listening 2 this one tho.' "The Zoo" is a good song. Yeah, another freaky song, but this reminds me of the stuff he did between 1998 and 2000. I just really like this one. He used 2 perform this live...so he just put it on wax. We've all heard "I'm A Flirt (Remix)" on the radio. Not amazing, not bad...just a catchy, fun song. "Same Girl" with Usher has gotten alot of play where i live. Definitly a good song. Solid sound and a fun topic...yet u might see this as "The Boy Is Mine" 2007 with the topic flipped. "Real Talk" is one of the albums best tracks. R. Kelly is at home on this song. This does his signature 'hood soap opera type stuff on this one. "Hook It Up" has a nice harder edged beat. Kelly's lyrics are pretty standard and the featured rapper (Huey) is just unnecessary. "Rock Star" is a confusingly forced song. Ludacris brings his dime-a-dozen lyrics and while the song also features Kid Rock, his vocals are so turned down that u wouldn't know he's on it without the billing. Not awful, just forced. "Best Friend" is another solid one featuring the often impressive Keyshia Cole. "Rollin'" is absolute trash. Don't even bother listening 2 this track. This is the worst R. Kelly song EVER. "Sweet Tooth" totally redeems the album after u thought Kelly lost his mind on the last one. Smooth, sexy, and the kinda stuff long-time fans have been waiting for. "Havin' A Baby" is another dope one. Why couldn't the whole album be like these last few songs?! "Sex Planet" is really nice 2...reguardless of the kinda song the title would make u think it is. "Rise Up" is a touching inspirational song he recently cut in tribute towards those effected by the Virginia Tech shootings. Sadly, after such a great song, there's a song as track 20 which is just a silly "ringtone" song.

All in all, real R-N-B fans and R. Kelly fans should check the following songs if they wanna peep the album...Leave Your Name, The Zoo, Same Girl, Real Talk, Best Friend, Sweet Tooth, Havin' A Baby, Sex Planet, and Rise Up. I guess having half of the album dope isn't bad...but Kelly should have kept his game tighter across the board. If u get the album at Wal-Mart, u'll get a BET Official DVD featuring 90 minutes of R. Kelly. I haven't watched it yet but it's got the following stuff on it...106 + Park interview, BET 25 Strong performance, Access Granted episodes for I'm A Flirt, Ignition, and Trapped In The Closet. Music videos for I'm A Flirt, I Wish, Ignition, Trapped In The Closet (Chaper 1), You Saved Me, A Woman's Threat, and Step In The Name of Love, the previously unreleased song for Katrina victims "Let Your Light Shine", and a sneek peak at Trapped In The Closet 12.5.

BONE: THUGS-N-HARMONY - Strength & Loyalty

I haven't actually bought a Bone album since The Art of War (other than their double disc Greatest Hits album). I love Bone, but just didn't feel a strong erge 2 get the album. This one grabbed me more after reading a VIBE article...without even hearing "I Tried." The album opens with "Flow Motion" and "Bump In The Trunk." Both trax aren't reall the Bone sound...lacking a dark feel. Sadly, the production isn't that great...not bad...but definitly not impressive. "Wind Blow" takes on a twangy, slower kinda feel. I can't tell if the chorus is creative...or just bad. "I Tried" featuring Akon is next...and their 1st single. This song is the truth. Akon laces them with a nice actoustic laid back beath with piano and strings. Bone brings a song with a message. The lyrics are great and i'm sure they are identifying with people all over the world. I know they really have reached out 2 me during this time in my life. Akon is great on the hook...and doesn't come off as the "go-to" guy at the moment. "Lil' Love" is an interesting song. Jermaine Dupri provides the beat...which is good considering the kind of beats he's been giving rap acts recently (as many of them want crappy southern beats like Grillz). Mariah Carey continues her musical relationship with the fellaz in the seemingly akward relationship that comes off as fire every time. Bow Wow makes an alright adult appearance on the track as well. The song deals with relationships and i could see this as another single. "C-Town" pairs the group with Twista again as a mix of the biggest rhyme racers out now...who actually have good lyrics when u can make them out. That beat is standardly good. "Order My Steps (Dear Lord)" pairs the group with Gospel/R-N-B-Soul artist Yolonda Adams. The production is standard her as well...mixing a steady drum beat is a fast staggering percussion. It's a spiritutal song yet nothing like "Tha Crossroads." "Streets" is a unique collabo with Will.I.Am and The Game. I'm a big fan of Will.I.Am but this song doesn't impress me 2 much. At 1st i thought the beat was okay...but it has surprisingly grown with me. I'm not a fan of Game, but he holds his on on the track. I wish Will.I.Am spit a verse on this one. "9mm" has a nice haunting piano track that reminds u kinda of earlier Bone stuff. Sadly the song isn't that impressive 2 me. Either cuz lyrically, it's ground they have treaded on b4 or just cuz gun talk is so played out in general. This also reminds me of a beat they'd put on one of those doctored 2Pac albums. "So Good So Right" has a very feel good feel 2 it. At a 1st listen, u'll think it's weird 2 have Bone flowing over a track like this (tho' it's not the 1st time they've done it) but b4 u can finish that thought, u get wrapped up in the song. Mo Thugz artist Felicia sweetens the hook up real nice. This will be one of the songs i play in the car this summer. "Sounds The Same" has a nice solid smooth vibe. It opens with a nice sung hook 2 set the pace. "Never Forget Me" has Akon coming back 4 a song that has a good beat. Yet the synth in it sounds it waz sampled from a cheesy fantasy videogame. The vocals and lyrics make it all better tho.' In all, i'd give the album a 7.5 out of 10...possibly an 8 after a get 2 know it better. The production is the albums weakest issue. Some of the beats are just average or don't compliment their sound. The lyrics and presence on nearly every track are very good and do a good job of taking your mind off the weak beats on the songs it applies 2. The album is pretty good and they work great as a trio...but i wish they'd work things out and get Bizzy back.

Dude, you totally skip any mention of "Candy Paint." I am usually not a person to fall straight off a beat....but seriously that beat is one of the best to ride to...plus for once Swizz's voice is just right and not annoying with the hype background vocals...and that girl who does the one part of the chorus has such a nice voice....That track has to be mentioned just for those points alone...

It's not even really an R-N-B album tho.' Kels said himself said he was inspired by the stuff on the radio (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and wanted 2 do something 2 compete with it. Which lead to a crappy handful of pointless songs. He says the album is "about 70% Hip-Hop and 30% R-N-B." In my opinion, it also only happens 2 be 30% good. The rest is average to bad. R-N-B fans have other albums 2 chose from if they want real R-N-B albums. This is his weakest album.