JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Record Labels Now Agree Hip Hop Is Dead

JamesUK

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Jeezy & Cam'ron aren't fighting for hip hop. "I Luv It". What does he love? Hundreds on the table. Twenty on the floor.

And to answer Lambert's question, simply because he can. There's no law that says you have to like everything within everything.

Allow me bring u a moment in common sense. The chorus or the hook of a song is the part people remember 1st. It's the part that should be so catchy that it gets stuck in your head even if u don't know what the lyrics are. Of course in Pop, R-N-B, Rock, and the genres that are singing, it's the most important...especially if u are a pop, radio-friendly, mainstream, or commerical artist. Hip-Hop is different since singing can be done...or rapping can be done...or a DJ can just scratch the crap out of some vocal samples. Not every hook needs 2 be brilliant in Hip-Hop and Rap since true Hip-Hop music is based on having no rules. But lets not overlook the fact that weak hooks are pretty lame and disappointing 2 remotely intellegent listerns. Especially on a song like "This Is Why I'm Hot" or "Walk It Out," where the artists actually comes off sounding like foolish children. Ja-Rule has some wack singing hooks, but even they are more developed than hooks like on "Shoulder Lean." "Boom! Shake The Room" is a fun song and there's nothing amazing about the hook, but listeners are feeling the energy when they hear it. I don't really like Terror Squad at all, but even the unimaginative hook on "Lean Back" doesn't bother me...mostly cuz that kinda song is relying more on the beat or the "dance" that goes with it.

How many songs do u really like where u can honestly say "man, other than the hook, the song is great?!?" For asking a ?uestion like "what does the chorus have to do with a song being good or bad" is the silliest thing i've ever heard. I'm i alone on this?

Yeah he talks like he knows but let me tell you sumthin...he knows, adn there are alot of people that got his back on this :wickedwisdom:

The reason AJ is saying your wrong lambert, is because hip hop got defined before you were even born. You can't just up and change history like that. Tupac could deny he wasn't gangsta music all he wants, but some of his songs were in fact that. His beef was beng pinpointed like that as only one thing.

How bout all this bling? People rat on it, but Slick Rick did it up didn't he? So did Rakim. But their skill level went beyond that. Everybody is saying they're hustlers. They are "hustling" rap. So anything that happened beforehand doesn't matter to them. It's all about NOW and gettin' that money. That's the case for any kind of hustler. They don't care that people that did the very same thing got shot and killed, ended up in jail, or even cleaned up their ways. They wanna go thru that tunnel where at the end of it, ain't nothing but money. It's been said for years about the destruction of this genre. It was 60-40% bad-good, then 75-25%, now it's like 90-10%. I feel like we've always argued about the music. But now with where it's at, we appreciate what we once argued about? It's very frustrating to discuss this.

Now of the very points AJ and everybody makes. If "Boom, Shake The Room" was a song nowadays. It would've just been an annoying "Boom, boom boom". With no rhythm or true change up. Same deal with the dances. The attitudes. I've got a niece who's 11 and she's not gonna know anything outside of what's on radio and tv. She herself barely messes with rap. I mean it feels kinda wrong to just sit back and say "well that's the way the game goes". It's a sad state of affairs, because we're getting more and more leeway and pushing it too far. I remember a bulletin Kel had posted about it (not only with the music, but life). And it was very true. A change is bound to happen. You can see it in the era of the music and everything else for that matter. The best we can do is live and do what we've doing. Support what we support.

Guest LAMBERTj3

The reason AJ is saying your wrong lambert, is because hip hop got defined before you were even born. You can't just up and change history like that. Tupac could deny he wasn't gangsta music all he wants, but some of his songs were in fact that. His beef was beng pinpointed like that as only one thing.

How bout all this bling? People rat on it, but Slick Rick did it up didn't he? So did Rakim. But their skill level went beyond that. Everybody is saying they're hustlers. They are "hustling" rap. So anything that happened beforehand doesn't matter to them. It's all about NOW and gettin' that money. That's the case for any kind of hustler. They don't care that people that did the very same thing got shot and killed, ended up in jail, or even cleaned up their ways. They wanna go thru that tunnel where at the end of it, ain't nothing but money. It's been said for years about the destruction of this genre. It was 60-40% bad-good, then 75-25%, now it's like 90-10%. I feel like we've always argued about the music. But now with where it's at, we appreciate what we once argued about? It's very frustrating to discuss this.

Now of the very points AJ and everybody makes. If "Boom, Shake The Room" was a song nowadays. It would've just been an annoying "Boom, boom boom". With no rhythm or true change up. Same deal with the dances. The attitudes. I've got a niece who's 11 and she's not gonna know anything outside of what's on radio and tv. She herself barely messes with rap. I mean it feels kinda wrong to just sit back and say "well that's the way the game goes". It's a sad state of affairs, because we're getting more and more leeway and pushing it too far. I remember a bulletin Kel had posted about it (not only with the music, but life). And it was very true. A change is bound to happen. You can see it in the era of the music and everything else for that matter. The best we can do is live and do what we've doing. Support what we support.

you haven't shown me any hard evidence from people outside this board that says hip hop is dead because it isn't dead but that is a matter of one's opinion but like you said we support what we support even though we disagree, i respect you to the fullest fu23 you bring nothing but knowledge to the board and i thank you

you haven't shown me any hard evidence from people outside this board that says hip hop is dead because it isn't dead but that is a matter of one's opinion but like you said we support what we support even though we disagree, i respect you to the fullest fu23 you bring nothing but knowledge to the board and i thank you

The best "hard evidence" I can give you, and there is no debate about it whatsoever, is the way the music would make people feel. People used to play albums like crazy. Had songs that meant everything to them. Yeah, there was party music back in the day, but it was nothing of serious negativity or violence. And any hint of violence, there was a reason for it. Ice Cube pulled it off. (and Amerikkka'z Most Wanted won a grammy) NWA pulled it off (had "F*** The Police" and "Express Yourself". Public Enemy pulled it off. Too Short pulled it off. Ice T pulled it off. And of course the classic "The Message". Seems like the music has changed along with the technology. You had cassettes where you'd just play it thru, or to be patient to get to a certain song. With CDs, it was quicker. Now it's Ipods, MP3s, and the likes. I'm thinking now the artist themselves will be recycled to the point where it's one or two songs. If they take off with that, then it reverts to an album by this and that artist is because they did wonders with those one or two songs.

I don't think there is any sure fire way to give you "hard evidence" other than that one where there is no doubt needed. Debates like this always seem to happen. It's always been that way with change since the beginning but we'll keep this relevant in means of Hip-Hop. The rhymes, the fashion, etc. Maybe the world is just getting too lazy to innovative/create or whatever to come up with something new. I mean, what's left or better yet the last few things to come about. Crunk Music, Snap Music, Chopped & Screwed, the jewerly, and there's probably a few others.

I'm just sick of arguing or trying to put forth a draining effort. Give or take 5 years and just watch. Take heed. Let's see just how big of a deal Young Jeezy is. Or Chamillionaire, or Yung Joc, or Ciara, Nas, Kanye West, Talib Kweli, Lil Jon, Beyonce, or any new act on the verge. People that ride in there cars playing the radio, some mix cd, an actual cd, or any type of technology that can have music on it. The people you hang out with, or used to know. Myself, AJ, Julie, Tim, bigted, Turntable, you, everybody. Just watch.

(you shouldn't ignore what Julie put up either. Even if you know it, you should still read a bit of it)