JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Skillz on JJFP

Hero1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Philaflava_*

It’s unfair for anyone on this forum to call me a hater or say I’m uneducated about the situation.

Fact is this is a fan site so I can understand why people would become defensive, but you don’t know the slightest thing about me, what I do, what I know or why I asked some of those questions.

Truth is Skillz has wrote many of lines for Will Smith and if you are in disbelief well so be it. There is nothing wrong with that or me asking something that is actually true.

I asked that question to see his response and he was very PC about it. He gave the proper response because he is in the business of writing rhymes. Now I’m sure his response would have been awfully different had Will not paid him like the other rappers he’s come out against.

Notice he said “When I came to the studio that song was done.” Why’s was he in the studio at that time if he didn’t write for Will? Look I’m not going to see here and argue with your idol or whatever. I told you it’s not about that. There are fans and then there are people in the know.

For the record I was born and raised in Philly. I’m a HUGE Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff fan so my question wasn’t intended to be insulting. I asked questions, many that I was “TOLD” to ask by certain people in both camps. I didn’t get paid to do this interview, I own the site. I’m not a journalist (clearly), I’m a hip-hop fan first and foremost.

i understand u need to ask those questions, it was more of the way u put them across. We're not ignorant, we know Will writes with people Kel Spencer, skillz, nas. i think its fine for him to work with other people and get new ideas, a couple of lines is fine with me, a whole song i wouldnt be happy with, but i personally dont believe Will has done that. But people try to make out he has all these ghost writers and when Will does write a good song people dont seem to believe it and say its a ghostwriter, for example jiggy was a big hit for Will and Nas fans seem to think Nas wrote the whole song, which i dont believe is true at all.

It was more of the way you asked the question, it was quite a leading question "we all know Will didnt write those rhymes", ive never heard that anyone thought that before. Anyway i appreciate u writing the post to clear things up.

Guest Guest_Philaflava_*

Well it wasn't a leading question. You are reading a copy, paste job of the interview. You're already reading it, text isn't tone so again it's not fair to assume things were said a certain way when technically they weren't. Again I don't want to continue defending myself because you're entitled to think whatever you wish, but again I was only referring to the "EMINEM" diss, nothing else.

I know, as well as many others who are in this industry that Skillz was brought in to write those lines. Will is a GREAT writer, there is no question about it, but for this track (the Eminem one), Will had help.

I also knew Skillz wasn't going to admit it. But it was his response that I wanted to hear. Skillz played it smart when I asked some of the controversial questions and rightfully so.

Here is the full interview. http://philaflava.com/q&a.htm

My site has a great forum dedicated to hip-hop and I'd encourage any of you to check it out if you like. In a month we'll have a DJ Jazzy Jeff interview up there as well.

i understand u need to ask those questions, it was more of the way u put them across. We're not ignorant, we know Will writes with people Kel Spencer, skillz, nas. i think its fine for him to work with other people and get new ideas, a couple of lines is fine with me, a whole song i wouldnt be happy with, but i personally dont believe Will has done that. But people try to make out he has all these ghost writers and when Will does write a good song people dont seem to believe it and say its a ghostwriter, for example jiggy was a big hit for Will and Nas fans seem to think Nas wrote the whole song, which i dont believe is true at all.

It was more of the way you asked the question, it was quite a leading question "we all know Will didnt write those rhymes", ive never heard that anyone thought that before. Anyway i appreciate u writing the post to clear things up.

• Admin

It’s unfair for anyone on this forum to call me a hater or say I’m uneducated about the situation.

Fact is this is a fan site so I can understand why people would become defensive, but you don’t know the slightest thing about me, what I do, what I know or why I asked some of those questions.

Truth is Skillz has wrote many of lines for Will Smith and if you are in disbelief well so be it. There is nothing wrong with that or me asking something that is actually true.

I asked that question to see his response and he was very PC about it. He gave the proper response because he is in the business of writing rhymes. Now I’m sure his response would have been awfully different had Will not paid him like the other rappers he’s come out against.

Notice he said “When I came to the studio that song was done.” Why’s was he in the studio at that time if he didn’t write for Will? Look I’m not going to see here and argue with your idol or whatever. I told you it’s not about that. There are fans and then there are people in the know.

For the record I was born and raised in Philly. I’m a HUGE Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff fan so my question wasn’t intended to be insulting. I asked questions, many that I was “TOLD” to ask by certain people in both camps. I didn’t get paid to do this interview, I own the site. I’m not a journalist (clearly), I’m a hip-hop fan first and foremost.

Hey philaflava thanks for checking out the site... We all know Will has people come in and write tracks with him..and frankly we don't like it.. I can tell when skillz has written somethin for Will.. in Lost and Found the track Will has a line

For real though I ain’t playin

Plenty of ya’ll love a brotha just scared to say it

Yo the first ever rap grammy

Let’s talk about the only reason yo ass went to Miami

I mean that was clearly written by skillz..its in skillz style.. but I don't see anything in Mr Nice Guy that has the skillz vibe.. he is not listed in the credits..why would he do it and not get paid? I believe Skillz is telling the truth.. I wouldn't believe everything people in the industry tell you.. its a shady business hah.. Also you should ask Jeff about this for your interview..I'd be interested to here what he has to say

"Will Smith responded to Em’s diss years ago but we all know Will didn't write those rhymes."

Philaflava, I'm interested in why you layed down that paticular premise on the way to your question. I take it you believed that you were using a journalistic technique, looking to get a response from Skillz, but you have to realize that, whether purposefully or indirectly, you were putting down another artist. The very comment implies that not only you, but most others in the industry know that Will Smith either isn't man enough to write a rebuttal, or doesn't have the necessary skills to wite an effective one... and that it's almost a surprise if he did manage to write those rhymes. The problem is that, even with Skillz' reply that Will Smith did write his rhymes, the reader is left with a less than favorable impression of Will Smith's ability simply based on the way you worded the premise of your question.

Guest Guest_Philaflava_*

Again, I'm not a journalistic. There is no technique or hidden agenda. I ran one of the most popular hip-hop radio shows for 5 years. Won several awards including College DJ of the Year by Urban Network and best radio show for 2 consecutive years by PhillyHiphop.com. I am NOT a writer, so kill that talk.

I ask questions rather direct, because that's what I'm about. Now I asked the Ghost writing question cuz we all know Skillz background. Skillz is man, who set this up told me to ask that question to him and see his response. He didn't know how he was going to respond, but he knew it would be interesting one way or another. Now like I said I am a huge Will fan. I know he can write, you don't need to sell me.

The question is like "hey, c'mon guy we know the deal, just give it up already..." But knowing it wouldn't be the case. Many of ghost writers do not get credit but still get paid. So him not receiving credit is not a big deal. It happens everyday in hip-hop. From the MC's to the Producers (see Scott Stortch, K-Def & Marley, Daz...)

You keep thinking I'm out to assassinate Will and thats not the case at all. The type of readers on my site wouldn't think about this interview post-reading it. Come check it out...

"Will Smith responded to Em’s diss years ago but we all know Will didn't write those rhymes."

Philaflava, I'm interested in why you layed down that paticular premise on the way to your question. I take it you believed that you were using a journalistic technique, looking to get a response from Skillz, but you have to realize that, whether purposefully or indirectly, you were putting down another artist. The very comment implies that not only you, but most others in the industry know that Will Smith either isn't man enough to write a rebuttal, or doesn't have the necessary skills to wite an effective one... and that it's almost a surprise if he did manage to write those rhymes. The problem is that, even with Skillz' reply that Will Smith did write his rhymes, the reader is left with a less than favorable impression of Will Smith's ability simply based on the way you worded the premise of your question.

Well this was a great article, Skillz is a dope mc, now personally I also don't feel that point about how it was obvious Will didn't write "Mr. Nice Guy", now the way I view it is that well it don't matter if that song came out or not 'cause Eminem hasn't recorded anything hot since 2000 on the mostpart while Will has 20 years of classics with Jazzy Jeff, I don't think Eminem would ever be man enough to ever contest JJFP on stage anytime soon

Again, I'm not a journalistic. There is no technique or hidden agenda. I ran one of the most popular hip-hop radio shows for 5 years. Won several awards including College DJ of the Year by Urban Network and best radio show for 2 consecutive years by PhillyHiphop.com. I am NOT a writer, so kill that talk.

That's great. So and interview technique then...

I ask questions rather direct, because that's what I'm about. Now I asked the Ghost writing question cuz we all know Skillz background. Skillz is man, who set this up told me to ask that question to him and see his response. He didn't know how he was going to respond, but he knew it would be interesting one way or another. Now like I said I am a huge Will fan. I know he can write, you don't need to sell me.

The question is like "hey, c'mon guy we know the deal, just give it up already..." But knowing it wouldn't be the case. Many of ghost writers do not get credit but still get paid. So him not receiving credit is not a big deal. It happens everyday in hip-hop. From the MC's to the Producers (see Scott Stortch, K-Def & Marley, Daz...)

I'm not so much interested in whether you believe Will Smith can write or not. That's superflous information at this point. I'm more interested in the way you set up your question. A direct question would have been "We know you've worked with Will Smith in the past. There's word that you wrote his rebuttal to Em on his latest album. What's the deal?"

The thing about your question is that it intimates the broad notion that Will can't write... not just the particular point that you and others don't believe that he wrote those specific lines. I believe you when you say that you wanted to get that across. The problem is that much more is let on than just the fact that you may have inside information relating to that particular track.

Most readers or listeners will likely think, "Philaflava must me saying this because he knows Will Smith is wack... he can't write rhymes like that..." How many people are really going to think "Philaflava must have inside information on this particular track and worded his question like that to get a response."

You keep thinking I'm out to assassinate Will and thats not the case at all. The type of readers on my site wouldn't think about this interview post-reading it. Come check it out...

I don't believe that you're out to assassinate Will. I think that the way you worded your question does unintentional damage though... and caters particularly to people who already have a less than positive view of Will as a rapper.