JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Old soccer (football) players

Lerkot

Im writing an article right now where I write about olden but golden players in football (soccer). In the article, I am going to pick two teams: one with players playing today at 40 or older and one with players who played on a pretty high level until their 40s.

I got a few players but I need more.

Todays squad so far:

Keepers: Marco Ballotta (Lazio, 43 years), Gianluca Pagliuca (Ascoli, 40 years), Raimond van der Gouw (AGOVV, 44 years) more?

Defenders: Alessandro Costacurta (Milan, 41 years), Roland Nilsson (GAIS's occasionally playing manager, 44 years)

Midfielders: ?

Attackers: Teddy Sheringham (West Ham, soon 41 years)

All time (or not really, but players quitting in 1990 and onwards):

Keepers: Peter Shilton (Last club Leyton Orient, played until 47), Dave Beasant (Brighton, played until 44-45)

Defenders: Donato (Last club Deportivo La Coruna, played until 40)

Dino Zoff (keeper) captained Italy to the 1982 World Cup aged 40 and won it.

Stanley Matthews (midfielder and a right winger) played until he was 50 for clubs like Man U and Stoke

Carlos Valderrama (midfielder) played until he was 40, and he hold the all time assist record in MLS.

Lothar Matthaus (midfielder) was one of the legends of the game, and retired aged 40.

"all time assist record in MLS"

Ha, what a great honour to have. i'm sure that made it into the Guiness Book of Records. Just below worst hairstyle in football.

Hehe... You british.. Just because you guys have Premier League, doesnt mean than other leagues suck or something.. Just like NBA.. Just because it's one of the biggest leagues doesnt make the players better:) Now i laugh at David Seaman.. he looked like a women with a mustach..

• Members

Striker: Romario!! Soon to score 1000 goals. He's 40 or 41 dunno.

I think Amadeo Carboni played for Valencia till he was 40. He retired last year. A lot of italians get retired late. Roberto Baggio played to an advanced age too.

You named Donato from Deportivo La Coruña. I think Mauro Silva from the same team reitred at the 40's too, but im not sure about that.

Actually thats a bad example. The NBA blatantly does have better players than any other foreign league. Its the worlds greatest Basketball League. Just like in Football, The Englsih Prem, La Liga, and Serie A have the best world players playing in them leagues.

I'm not being biased to my country at all, i know football and the MLS league is on a far poorer scale than most leagues in Europe.

The US national team is decent and slowly growing to be a force but most its best players do not play (or should not play in in Major League Soccer)

Do you honestly think David Beckham is moving to LA Galaxy for competitive reasons???

Actually thats a bad example. The NBA blatantly does have better players than any other foreign league. Its the worlds greatest Basketball League. Just like in Football, The Englsih Prem, La Liga, and Serie A have the best world players playing in them leagues.

I'm not being biased to my country at all, i know football and the MLS league is on a far poorer scale than most leagues in Europe.

The US national team is decent and slowly growing to be a force but most its best players do not play (or should not play in in Major League Soccer)

Do you honestly think David Beckham is moving to LA Galaxy for competitive reasons???

I smell cha-ching :lol:

The US team isnt bad, but needs a superstar to promote it. Step forward a Mr. D Beckham.

And compared to the top baseball and basketball stars in the USA, Terry, Shevchenko, Ballack and co seem poor by comparison. I'd rather watch a great Premiership match than any other sport.