JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL COOL J - DON'T TAKE THIS PERSONAL

Let me start off 1st by saying "THANX JIM!!" He hooked me up with this song this morning. It's a new joint off the forthcoming LL Cool J album.

Before i heard the track, Jim said he thought the song was average. Well, i'll agree that it isn't his best when it comes 2 an overall song, but i think the track is actually pretty good. The song isn't dissing anyone in the rap game (whether they deserve and LL lyrical butt-whipping or not) but he claims the crown when it comes 2 longevity. The 1st verse has him saying how he waz doing his thing before every single emcee who has dominated the commercial charts in the 2000's. He drops a name or 2 in ever bar. The 2nd verse does the same thing, but emcees and rappers who came out and commercially peaked in the 90's. Then the 3rd verse, he gives props 2 all the old schoolers who paved the way 4 him. Totally ill.

I think the song's biggest problem is the production. I give it a 6 or 7 outta 10. I like the vibe of it, it just needs 2 be polished up 2 go 2 that next level. 50 Cent has minimal adlibs which are out of place...by the end of the song, i forgot he waz on the track...ha ha. The occasional "n-word" drops are kinda tasteless 2. I'm just sick of hearing that word...have been for years.

I think it's a good track but i hope it's not a single. This sparked my LL interest and i finally found the "Bump This" CD promo. I saw them when the song 1st dropped, but then they all disappeared (other than the 12" promos). "Don't Take This Personal" is much better "Bump This." It's still a shame that LL is letting his vibe be contaminated with 50 Cent influence.

i had mentioned this in my previous post...

ya production was eh

but i do like it...as long as he doesn't dilute his talent to just get the money...which i feel bump this..and maybe this song...are leading to...

It's pretty dope for a mixtape track...hope i don't see it in the album likewise for "Bump This"...

By the way to he who is misinformed LL's new album is going to be called "Exit 13" or "13 exit"...not "Back To Cool". I saw him in Jimmy Kimmel the other day...he was promoting his new book...he said the true hip hop heads will love the new album, he did mention it was a step away from the conscious side tho'...

Thanx 4 the update. I'm glad he changed the title. "Back To Cool" waz pretty cheesy, and making it part 2 of another album that had a totally different vibe wouldn't make any sense.

It gives me the feeling that the album is gonna be pretty average compared 2 LL's level of craft. Kinda like his quiet way of exiting Jay-Z's Def Jam...in which he'll follow up with a dope album after this one.

• Admin

I think the song is garbage.. the concept is great the execution is awful.. sloppy rhymes..awful beat and the chorus is weak.. i'll take mama said knock you out goin back to cali around the way girl father over this stuff anyday.. its like LL has lowered himself down to the level of rubbish that is out right now just to sell some records :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Ehh, the song is okay, the concept is good, but it gets boring and repetitive after a while. Lyrically, it is average at best. It is an average song, hopefully he can step it up on the album.

This song is definitly average. I consider it a little taster as to what is to come from LL. It's funn how LL names every rapper in the game practically lol. I dont like the gun shots but I'm sure this will be polished up if its on the album.

LL is goin to Columbia? Wow, I coulda sworn FP was too old to appeal to kids and LL is older by 7 months or so!