JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Gerlad Levert said 2 die of accidental drug mix

Angel Amor

Accidental drug mix said to kill Levert

Sun Feb 11, 1:38 AM ET

R&B singer Gerald Levert's death last fall was an accident caused by a fatal combination of prescription narcotics and over-the-counter drugs, a coroner said.

The drugs in his bloodstream included the narcotic pain relievers Vicodin, Percocet and Darvocet, along with anxiety medication Xanax and two over-the-counter antihistamines, Geauga County Coroner Kevin Chartrand said. The official cause of death was acute intoxication, and the death was ruled accidental.

Chartrand said his office received a report Thursday from the Cuyahoga County coroner's office, which conducted the autopsy.

Levert, 40, son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert, died Nov. 10 in his suburban Cleveland home. He was a member of the R&B trio LeVert, whose hits included "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" and "Casanova." He sold millions of albums and had numerous hits over his career.

His soulful voice powered his appeal and in 1991 he made his solo debut with the album "Private Line." That included a hit duet with his dad, "Baby Hold on to Me."

Andy Gibson, a family spokesman, said Levert was taking the pain medication because of chronic pain from a lingering shoulder problem and surgery in 2005 to repair a severed Achilles tendon. The autopsy revealed that Levert had pneumonia.

Levert also took Xanax for anxiety attacks, Gibson said

They were playing a GL song on the radio yesterday...which reminded me yet again what a talent we lost. I'd known about him since 1991, but i was a HUGE fan ever since '93 when i got the Levert album For Real Tho.'

omg. thats crazy to read this. I had been on meds (about two varieties of Codeine) and i told that dummie doctor, it wasnt affecting the pain, but still too strong 4 my body and i was allergic to any dirrivitives of the codeine family, but after taking them, (per her orders)... i felt REAL high toxin levels in my body. I was throwin up sooo bad, my stomache cringed and i began to throw up blood.. in and out of the emergency room,... all because of the prescribed meds...not even my illness.

peace,

cookie