JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BRANDY INVOLVED IN FATAL CAR ACCIDENT

JumpinJack AJ

Singer Brandy Involved in Fatal Car Crash

By STEVE GORMAN, Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Jan. 25) - Actress and R&B singer Brandy was involved in a fatal, four-car accident on a Los Angeles freeway last month that started when her sports utility vehicle hit another car, police said on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old former star of the TV comedy "Moesha" was not injured, but the driver of the car she rear-ended with her Land Rover in the December 30 crash died, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The victim was identified as Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, a married mother of one, said CHP spokesman Leland Tang.

No charges or arrests have been made in connection with the accident, and no formal determination has been made as to what caused the crash, which was first reported by the celebrity news Web site TMZ.com.

A statement issued by Brandy's publicist said: "She wishes to publicly express her condolences to the family of the deceased" and asks the media to "respect the privacy of everyone involved at this time."

The singer-actress, whose full name is Brandy Norwood, was alone in her vehicle and no alcohol or drugs were involved, Tang said.

A Statement From Brandy's Publicist

"Brandy was involved in a car accident December 30, 2006 in Los Angeles where there was a fatality. She wished to publicly express her condolences to the family of the deceased. Brandy asks that you respect the privacy of everyone involved at this time."

Brandy told officers she was driving at about 65 miles per hour before the crash occurred.

"We've impounded all four vehicles, and the outcome of the mechanical inspection is coming to us today or tomorrow," Tang said. "Barring any mechanical difficulties on Brandy's part ... then there's the very high probability that she is the party most at fault or the contributing party."

Brandy, a native of Mississippi, burst on the recording scene with her self-tilted debut album in 1994, launching such hits as "I Wanna Be Down," "Baby" and "Brokenhearted." Her fourth album, "Afrodisiac," was released in 2004 with a lead single, "Talk About Our Love," produced by Kanye West .

Last year, she served on the panel of judges for NBC's summer show "America's Got Talent."

Police Want Brandy Charged in Vehicle Death

Evidence Being Reviewed by City Attorney's Office

By JEREMIAH MARQUEZ, AP

LOS ANGELES (Jan. 29) - The California Highway Patrol recommended Monday that actress-singer Brandy be charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter in a freeway crash that killed a woman motorist last month, a city attorney's spokesman told The Associated Press.

The CHP referred the matter to the city attorney's office for review, said spokesman Nick Velasquez.

"The office is currently reviewing the case and determining whether the evidence warrants the filing of a misdemeanor charge of vehicular manslaughter," Velasquez said.

A message seeking comment from Brandy's publicist, Courtney Barnes, was not immediately returned.

The charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in county jail and a $1,000 fine, Velasquez said.

Prosecutors couldn't say when they would make a decision about whether to bring a case. If charged, Brandy wouldn't necessarily have to appear in court and could have her lawyer enter a plea, Velasquez said.

Brandy, whose real name is Brandy Norwood, has publicly expressed condolences to the victim's family, Barnes said last week. Barnes also has said Brandy wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash.

Brandy, 27, was driving a Land Rover on Interstate 405 on Dec. 30 when traffic slowed and her vehicle struck the back of Honda driven by Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, according to a CHP report.

Aboudihaj's car hit another vehicle, slid sideways into the center divider and was then hit by another car, the report said. Aboudihaj, a Los Angeles waitress, died at a hospital from blunt-force injuries, according to the coroner's office.

Bill Sayed, an attorney for Aboudihaj's husband, said he supported the CHP's recommendation.

Brandy, who earned a Grammy in 1999, has made five albums. She began her recording career at 14 and acted for film and television, starring on the sitcom "Moesha" from 1996-2001 and most recently as a judge for NBC's "America's Got Talent."

AJ... I love your signature. Very powerful. on topic tho,... thas real sad to read, but just this morning, (unless I heard wrong), on the news,... they were saying the opposite. Maybe I heard it wrong,...but regardless, im certain that Brandy feels REALLY bad about this... I know, it would tear me apart knowing that someone lost their life in an accident that I was involved in..

~ 3cookies

Brandy sued for $50 million over car crash

Suit claims the R&B star was ‘driving recklessly’ when crash occurred

Access Hollywood

Updated: 6:20 p.m. CT Jan 30, 2007

LOS ANGELES - Brandy is being sued for $50 million by the parents of the woman killed in a car crash in December, Access Hollywood has learned.

The lawsuit, filed on Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, claims “Brandy Norwood was driving recklessly in the freeway when her car collided with Awatif Aboudihaj’s car.”

Aboudihaj’s parents are seeking both punitive and compensatory damages.

On Monday, the California Highway Patrol recommended that the singer-actress be charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter.

The CHP referred the matter to the city attorney’s office for review, said spokesman Nick Velasquez.

“The office is currently reviewing the case and determining whether the evidence warrants the filing of a misdemeanor charge of vehicular manslaughter,” Velasquez said.

The charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in county jail and a $1,000 fine, Velasquez said.

Prosecutors couldn’t say when they would make a decision about whether to bring a case. If charged, Brandy wouldn’t necessarily have to appear in court and could have her lawyer enter a plea, Velasquez said.

Brandy, 27, was driving a Land Rover on Interstate 405 on December 30, 2006, when traffic slowed and her vehicle struck the back of Honda driven by Aboudihaj, 38, according to a CHP report.

Aboudihaj’s car hit another vehicle, slid sideways into the center divider and was then hit by another car, the report said. Aboudihaj died at a hospital from blunt-force injuries, according to the coroner’s office.

Copyright 2007 by NBC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16894680/

Edited by Angel Amor

50 million...am i wrong by saying that it looks like they are taking advantage that a celebrity is involved in the accident? Especially since they weren't there and make the claim that Brandy waz driving wrecklessly...even tho' the whole thing is being investigated.

I don't think you're wrong AJ, that was my first thought in my head when I heard about this on the news, if Brandy wasn't a celebrity there wouldn't be no 50 million dollar lawsuit here