JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

runaway love/ tell me why

No no no....i wazn't suggesting an elaborate remix 2 create a whole new song. I waz suggesting we just have someone take 2 verses of "Runaway Love" and 2 verses from "Tell Me Why" and mash 'em up 2gether in2 on mix/blend. Maybe a few DJ vocal samples from previous FP and/or Ludacris joints tossed in here and there and a decent blend in the middle. No new beats or anything...just 2 songs, back 2 back, maybe an effect here or there. I think we can draw some attention 2 "Tell Me Why" that way and i know a handful of people here would get it out there. I'd do it myself, but i have zero experience and zero resorces 2 do so.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

ok so in the UK ludacris's song "runaway love" has just started getting airplay, i think its pretty good but what annoys me is, how come this song got released and "tell me why" didnt. Both serious songs with mary j on them.

We never found out why tell me why didnt get released, probably something to do with it not being radio friendly or it was too "serious", but how come "runaway love" got released, it focuses on abuse, underage sex, abortion etc, pretty harsh stuff. Just irritates me how Will writes these brillient songs but it gets ignored bcoz its by him.

dude, cant agree more. will smith makes some awesome music. outstanding, but it is so ignored becuz its will smith. i never even knew about tell me why till two years later. interscope should have made it a single. give it an awesome video. make it a ringtone, something!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

ok so in the UK ludacris's song "runaway love" has just started getting airplay, i think its pretty good but what annoys me is, how come this song got released and "tell me why" didnt. Both serious songs with mary j on them.

We never found out why tell me why didnt get released, probably something to do with it not being radio friendly or it was too "serious", but how come "runaway love" got released, it focuses on abuse, underage sex, abortion etc, pretty harsh stuff. Just irritates me how Will writes these brillient songs but it gets ignored bcoz its by him.

i think its just because TMW wasnt raido friendly, Runaway Love was

Having this big BEEP in the middle of the song really isnt that appealing

Man, there is no way Will didn't record that curse word. Its on an original/master recording somewhere. They could have replaced it with just nothing but the music on a radio version no problem.

Ha ha...yeah, i waz just listening 2 "Tell Me Why" 2 days ago. That beep is just ridiculous. It's akward and messes up the flow of the song. The just needed 2 take that work out like Kev said. Interscope just wanted 2 make L+F one of those 2 singles/videos albums like so many record labels do these days. People like Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Fergie, etc get awesome treatment. 5 videos, maybe and extra radio promo or 2 sent out 2 the stations for songs that don't even have videos, Deluxe Editions released with bonus songs and/or DVD's, then an official concert or music DVD released. That's how they handled it back in the 90's and there were some HUGE classic albums that took 2 years 2 run their course. U don't get that 2day. Albums get 1 or 2 singles/videos and that's it. Albums with weak or no promotion are forgettable and don't generate much of a lasting impression. Maybe if the industry stuck 2 a proven method like in the 90's, we'd have better, well-rounded, stronger artists. Not 2 mention better music.

I still wish someone made a "Runaway Love/Tell Me Why" mix when "Runaway Love" was big. It would have been an excellent opertunity 2 have FP get some attention piggy backing someone with more commerical appeal.