JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

runaway love/ tell me why

ok so in the UK ludacris's song "runaway love" has just started getting airplay, i think its pretty good but what annoys me is, how come this song got released and "tell me why" didnt. Both serious songs with mary j on them.

We never found out why tell me why didnt get released, probably something to do with it not being radio friendly or it was too "serious", but how come "runaway love" got released, it focuses on abuse, underage sex, abortion etc, pretty harsh stuff. Just irritates me how Will writes these brillient songs but it gets ignored bcoz its by him.

Yeah.. I have this idea that Will gave up rapping already in autumn 2005... and that he released Party Starter not because that he wanted to but because he had already made the video. It could be his fault, but it could also be Interscopes fault as we believed from the beginning. And yeah it irritates me too that someone (cant say I think Will wrote it) writes good songs that doesnt get released.

It absoultely amazes me how labels screw Will over.

Its even more amazing how Eminem and Jadakiss can release "Mosh" and "Why" which question the president and all this **** and yet when FP drops some knowledge, Interscope doesnt wanna release it. Plus, why would they wanna? It woulda been a hit and it woulda brought in some money. I really believe FP needs to goto Def Jam. Thats the only place thatd give him the promotion he deserves.

It absoultely amazes me how labels screw Will over.

Its even more amazing how Eminem and Jadakiss can release "Mosh" and "Why" which question the president and all this **** and yet when FP drops some knowledge, Interscope doesnt wanna release it. Plus, why would they wanna? It woulda been a hit and it woulda brought in some money. I really believe FP needs to goto Def Jam. Thats the only place thatd give him the promotion he deserves.

That part I find very not amazing.

I dont think it would have been a hit. Maybe, but most likely not. Not enough catchy.

And who says Interscope didnt want to release it? With some distance to it, im pretty sure they would have released it if Will cooperated well, since it had potential.

Signing a contract with FP wouldnt be a good idea since he says he wont rap anymore. And K Smith I would very much like to keep away from the decent labels.

FP did write the song. He wrote it back in 2003. And he did wanna release it. It waz originally slated as the 2nd single (after they backed out on "Party Starter"...and then changed their mind again).

It's no secret that Ludacris' pop appeal is why most of his single are a hit. FP has 2 work harder since he's got the movie career going on and won't lower himself 2 the level of most of the crappy, cussing, negative artists that get success these days. When i hear "Runaway Love" (Ludacris' best song ever), i see it as a mix of "Tell Me Why" and "Brenda's Got A Baby." Unlike Jadakiss' schetchy single "Why"...i actually believe Ludracris has his heart behind the song.

An interesting thought would be that one of the more talented "remixers" on this board could make a mix of "Runaway Love" and "Tell Me Why" so that FP gets some attention on the music front piggy backing it on the already successful Ludacris single. We could put it all over web (Ludacris/FP/Hip-Hop/Rap message boards) and draw alot of attention 2 the song. Kontempt, Vipa, anyone?

Well there's a lot of great songs that never get released, that's the way the music industry is, and really Def Jam ain't no different than Interscope, Columbia, or any other label out there at this point, Ghostface dropped a hot album recently and he didn't even get a video released

I think with the single releases there happened some mistakes on Lost and Found! First of all I think it was the right decision to release Switch(a pop-oriented song) as the first single of the album to get attention back to music. It did well and pushed the album to 600000 units and Will won an ama! After that they allowed Will to release Party Starter with a hot video...problem here is black radio didn`t check for it and the release date was a half year later than switch and he didn`t perform and promoted it. In someway it is also Wills mistake that i flopped. If Little Brother make some noise that BET don`t play there song ... Will can do this with his starpower!. I guess Interscope would have released Tell me why if Party Starter had been at least a top 20 hit. I`m very sure that it could have been topped gettin jiggy wit it successwise with Mary J. Blige on it and the great message of the song!!!

To Lerkots point that Will retired in autumn 2005, I think did this happened before. I think Will wanted to hear people`s opinion on the album and then decide if he does another album or not! And people didn`t gave him so much positive feedback for this album since the days of the Fresh Prince! he won on allhiphop.com the best comeback of 2005, Illseed named him Person of the year, hip hop community defended him against bow wow`s statement/ some people also that eminem was wrong to diss him, they make will smith appreciation threads on other hip hop boards pay respect to his achievements, this month on allhiphop.com they showed respect to rappers that don`t curse...a lot of people also beyond this board see Lost and Found as at least a 4 mic album, normally (4.5 - 5 mic)! Rappers mention Wills name DMX,T.I, Lil Wayne, Ying Yang Twins etc. On the music of moving images Queen Latifah, Mos Def, Dame Dash payed tribute to his achievements!!!! Hip Hop recognises the MC Will Smith again and not the rapper turned actor or actor turned rapper...I guess this is all that Will wanted with L&F!

I just wanna throw my idea out there again. "Runaway Love" is in the peak of it's popularity. Music fans are downloading as we speak. Does anyone think it's a good idea that one of the better remixers on the board make a mix of "Runaway Love" and "Tell Me Why." Put it all over Hip-Hop and Rap message boards and let people get a taste of the track and keep the Fresh Prince out there...even tho' he's sounding hesitant about doing more music. Anybody wanna back me on this idea?

I just wanna throw my idea out there again. "Runaway Love" is in the peak of it's popularity. Music fans are downloading as we speak. Does anyone think it's a good idea that one of the better remixers on the board make a mix of "Runaway Love" and "Tell Me Why." Put it all over Hip-Hop and Rap message boards and let people get a taste of the track and keep the Fresh Prince out there...even tho' he's sounding hesitant about doing more music. Anybody wanna back me on this idea?

I think its a cool idea, but wouldnt an acapella of TMW be needed to do that? I dont think one was released.

yeah true its a good idea but we would need a pretty talented remixer.

i get a lot of people commenting on the live tell me why video i posted on youtube about how great a song it is and how they havnt heard it before, the more people we get to here it the better. Its never gonna get released but its just nice for people to appreciate the song.