JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rap Industry Doom And Gloom

Cozmo D

I think a new era is coming. In about 10 years the stats and figures will be very interesting indeed. However, this is great news for independent artists such as myself. Distribution of albums is so much easier with the likes of Napster and iTunes!

EXACTLY!!! :wiggle:

BTW, don't worry about getting "signed", what you should be pursuing is a singles deal. :thumbsup:

Hmmm! I'll look into that! :thumbsup:

I think this decline in rap & R&B sales are for a number of reasons.

1. No one can deny the age of downloading. Albums are "leaked"(I believe by record labels) to the internet and are posted everywhere. You don't have to go far on the internet to find the latest album.

2. Legal download sites like ITunes and Napster have given people control to buy the music they want. You don't have to buy whole albums now. You get the freedom to choose what songs you want.

3. The hip-hop community is at a crossroads. Like the U.S. I believe that the hip-hop community is divided. There are those who think that rap is fine and it's more lucrative than ever. Then there are those who think that rap has sold its soul and the only thing that counts is money.

4. Not a lot of quality, just lots of quantity and that's never a good thing.

I agree with everything except the part about the labels doing the leaking. They would NEVER do that, it's like cutting their own throats! Believe me, there are Music Industry Anarchists EVERYWHERE! You'd be surprised at how many of us there are who remember well the Golden Era of Hip-Hop, and who long to bring about a renaissance! :pony:

Yeah, labels don't exactly leak stuff, but how do you explain this... (the whole thing with DJ Drama)

Source: from the myspace blog of Wise Intelligent (from the Poor Righteous Teachers)

------------------------------------------------------------

An Intelligent Response to all this DRAMA...

**Please read DJ Drama's sister (Aishah Shahidah Simmons) breakdown on this whole ****ed up situation**..:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

30 Strong And A Gun To His Head…Pay Attention?

http://www.allhiphop.com/editorial/?ID=337

INTELLIGENTNEWZNET

INFORMING the HIP-HOP COMMUNITY

An Intelligent Response to all this DRAMA…

DJ Drama's sister summed the **** up best. From Murder Ink to the Aphilliates America continues to prove its disdain for the Blackman regardless of his occupation. Regardles to if you are Bob Johnson of BET or O.G. Bobby Johnson of American gangster Dom, Bobby McFerrin or Bobby Digital, if you are Black, Hispanic or any other member of the poor and oppressed, Bobby they HATE YOU! Major record companies facilitate, perpetuate and benefit greatly from the mixtape DJ and his/her profession. These major labels supply the mix DJ with exclusive (never released or heard) tracks from artists on their rosters as a part of their marketing strategy. The mixtape DJ is apart of the labels marketing budget and campaign. DJ Drama is no different from Freeway Rick Ross, he's being used by Major labels to distribute their product (music) in the hoods of America so that they can make millions of dollars off this "illegal" action and never be penalized for it; leaving DJ Drama and other hip-hop DJ's as scape-goats to be painted as the "kingpins" of "bootlegging" or "racketeering" and conveniently made the targets of the RIAA's bull**** war on "racketeering!" Just like the CIA used Rick Ross to distribute their product (crack-cocaine) in the hoods of ..:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />America so that they could make millions of dollars off this illegal action and never be penalized. Again, leaving Rick Ross and other black youth in America's inner-cities as scape-goats to be painted as the "kingpins" or "drug-lords" of the drug trade and conveniently made the targets of the DEA's bull**** "war on hoods" I mean "drugs!"

Why haven't they raided the offices of the ITunes and the CIA with guns drawn and confiscated all of the spoils that they have attained from selling all of this music and drugs? (I know, I know…don't answer that...I'm just thinking out loud)

WISE INTELLIGENT

Proper

Education

Always

Counters

Exploitation

2007 IS THE YEAR OF SOLUTIONS AND SUCCESS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think this decline in rap & R&B sales are for a number of reasons.

1. No one can deny the age of downloading. Albums are "leaked"(I believe by record labels) to the internet and are posted everywhere. You don't have to go far on the internet to find the latest album.

2. Legal download sites like ITunes and Napster have given people control to buy the music they want. You don't have to buy whole albums now. You get the freedom to choose what songs you want.

3. The hip-hop community is at a crossroads. Like the U.S. I believe that the hip-hop community is divided. There are those who think that rap is fine and it's more lucrative than ever. Then there are those who think that rap has sold its soul and the only thing that counts is money.

4. Not a lot of quality, just lots of quantity and that's never a good thing.

I agree with everything except the part about the labels doing the leaking. They would NEVER do that, it's like cutting their own throats! Believe me, there are Music Industry Anarchists EVERYWHERE! You'd be surprised at how many of us there are who remember well the Golden Era of Hip-Hop, and who long to bring about a renaissance! :pony:

Yeah, labels don't exactly leak stuff, but how do you explain this... (the whole thing with DJ Drama)

Source: from the myspace blog of Wise Intelligent (from the Poor Righteous Teachers)

------------------------------------------------------------

An Intelligent Response to all this DRAMA...

**Please read DJ Drama's sister (Aishah Shahidah Simmons) breakdown on this whole ****ed up situation**..:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

30 Strong And A Gun To His Head…Pay Attention?

http://www.allhiphop.com/editorial/?ID=337

INTELLIGENTNEWZNET

INFORMING the HIP-HOP COMMUNITY

An Intelligent Response to all this DRAMA…

DJ Drama's sister summed the **** up best. From Murder Ink to the Aphilliates America continues to prove its disdain for the Blackman regardless of his occupation. Regardles to if you are Bob Johnson of BET or O.G. Bobby Johnson of American gangster Dom, Bobby McFerrin or Bobby Digital, if you are Black, Hispanic or any other member of the poor and oppressed, Bobby they HATE YOU! Major record companies facilitate, perpetuate and benefit greatly from the mixtape DJ and his/her profession. These major labels supply the mix DJ with exclusive (never released or heard) tracks from artists on their rosters as a part of their marketing strategy. The mixtape DJ is apart of the labels marketing budget and campaign. DJ Drama is no different from Freeway Rick Ross, he's being used by Major labels to distribute their product (music) in the hoods of America so that they can make millions of dollars off this "illegal" action and never be penalized for it; leaving DJ Drama and other hip-hop DJ's as scape-goats to be painted as the "kingpins" of "bootlegging" or "racketeering" and conveniently made the targets of the RIAA's bull**** war on "racketeering!" Just like the CIA used Rick Ross to distribute their product (crack-cocaine) in the hoods of ..:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />America so that they could make millions of dollars off this illegal action and never be penalized. Again, leaving Rick Ross and other black youth in America's inner-cities as scape-goats to be painted as the "kingpins" or "drug-lords" of the drug trade and conveniently made the targets of the DEA's bull**** "war on hoods" I mean "drugs!"

Why haven't they raided the offices of the ITunes and the CIA with guns drawn and confiscated all of the spoils that they have attained from selling all of this music and drugs? (I know, I know…don't answer that...I'm just thinking out loud)

WISE INTELLIGENT

Proper

Education

Always

Counters

Exploitation

2007 IS THE YEAR OF SOLUTIONS AND SUCCESS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

i read that too, good read definetly

it's just a thought, but since R&B and rap are most prominent in urban and suburban settings, where technology is forced upon, in opposed to country where technology is less pushed, maybe that's why there is such a drastic slide in rap compared to country. These albums could be leaked in the country genre (and definitely rock), but I don't think there is as much a means to be aware of the leaks and take advantage of them.

Well really like I've been saying really people are hungry for more quality music, this is the main reason why record sales been down, I look at this as a good thing, this is a wakeup call to the industry and the artists to step up, it's more of an even playing field now since independent artists are getting more focus too, really I believe if artists put more effort in making better albums then I believe the sales will increase, now record labels have to do better job in promoting quality music if they want to stay in buisiness 'cause the public's not settling for anything anymore, they don't want to spend $15 for 2 good songs out of 15, so they'll just download the 2 songs on Itunes instead and put their money on albums that're worth buying

Well really like I've been saying really people are hungry for more quality music, this is the main reason why record sales been down, I look at this as a good thing, this is a wakeup call to the industry and the artists to step up, it's more of an even playing field now since independent artists are getting more focus too, really I believe if artists put more effort in making better albums then I believe the sales will increase, now record labels have to do better job in promoting quality music if they want to stay in buisiness 'cause the public's not settling for anything anymore, they don't want to spend $15 for 2 good songs out of 15, so they'll just download the 2 songs on Itunes instead and put their money on albums that're worth buying

:word: