JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP CHURCH

JumpinJack AJ

HIP-HOP CHURCHES

The New Face of Christianity or Sacrilegious?

By Angela Bronner, AOL Black Voices

Kurtis Walker, also known as hip-hop pioneer Kurtis Blow, is founder of both the Hip Hop Church and Hip Hop eMass. "It's not that I'm trying to bring hip-hop into the church," says Walker. "I'm trying to bring God into hip-hop."

Kurtis Walker, also known as hip-hop pioneer Kurtis Blow, is founder of both the Hip Hop Church and Hip Hop eMass. "It's not that I'm trying to bring hip-hop into the church," says Walker. "I'm trying to bring God into hip-hop."

On an average Thursday evening in Harlem one could almost miss the Greater Hood Memorial Zion AME Church -- it's tucked away on a nondescript block with hardly any foot traffic.

Yet, what makes Greater Hood stand out is the scores of teens milling about on its steps -- lounging around, sipping soft drinks and waiting for church services to begin.

That's right, church!

Greater Hood has been the site of the Hip Hop Church for about six months and the service is certainly reflective. As one walks over Greater Hood's worn burgundy carpets and into the wood-paneled sanctuary, there are dozens of teens dressed in hoodies and jeans, doing the chicken noodle soup and free-styling at the altar.

The teens lead the prayers over popular backbeats (including The Game's "One Blood" and Cam'ron's "Touch It Or Not" -- changing the words to be more appropriate for the venue); the offering is taken during Jim Jones' "We Fly High" -- with shouts of "Ballin'!" coming from the amped crowd.

To some it's a bit disconcerting -- is this church or the club? Throw your hands in the air, to be sure. But this certainly ain't grand mama's house of worship.

All of this makes perfect sense to old-school legend and founder of the Hip Hop Church, Kurtis Blow (who now goes by Kurtis Walker).

"When you go to a rap concert, you see Jay Z on stage, you scream your loudest," says Walker. "You see 50 Cent up there; you're losing your mind. But when you go to church, why can't we have that same intensity? I know that God is most incredible. So why don't we give him that same praise?"

With a generation more familiar with Kanye West's "Jesus Walks" than the Bible's shortest verse, "Jesus wept" -- it seems appropriate that the spirit of hip-hop is making strong inroads into today's church world.

Not only is gospel music becoming more secular by incorporating the beats and vernacular of hip-hop into its music, first made popular by Kirk Franklin's groundbreaking single "Stomp," which flooded urban radio, but there now exists a thriving genre of hip-hop being dedicated to the Lord.

Your Voice

There are no hard numbers on how many hip-hop churches or services exist in the nation today, but increasingly, more Christian denominations from AME to Baptists to Episcopalians, Methodists and Seventh Day Adventists are reaching out to their young people by Rapping for God, Crunkin' for Christ or just plain ole Holy Hip-Hop. From Houston to the South Bronx where hip-hop itself originated, the youth (and those who love them) are taking that old boom bap to the sanctuary.

"I always knew that there was an incredible amount of spirituality that went into hip-hop," explains Walker, who officiates the weekly hip-hop church service at Greater Hood and travels the country leading similar services elsewhere. "We call it a musical youth ministry, so we're trying to reach the kids and teach them about Jesus and the Bible and God in a language that they understand.

"Jesus, when he was around and walking in the flesh, he was a teacher and a preacher," Walker continues. "And he analyzed his audience. Like if he was with the farmers, he told stories about sowing the seed, and building your house on solid rock. And this is what we're doing today with the hip hop church."

The New Face of Christianity or Sacrilegious?

Across the bridge in the South Bronx, Father Timothy Holder, 51, a white Episcopalian minister from Tennessee, runs the Hip-Hop eMass, which was founded as a summer program for the youth of the community. Incidentally, Holder started eMass with Walker but the two separated due to "theological differences."

Poppa T, as he's affectionately referred to, rocks a shiny "blinged out cross" over his black robes, and says he had to educate himself on the culture of hip-hop, but now knows that this is his ministry.

"Jesus was not preaching to the elite, he was preaching to the down and outcast, the rag tag, the boys from up in Galilee and the girls who were following him," he says. "And that's revolutionary. It's death defying. But I have to say, there's nothing more powerful. Hip-hop talks it real. And if the church wants to be real and not plastic, then we will hear the cries of our children."

Over the last three years, Poppa T has taken his eMass around the country (to over 25,000 congregants, according to his estimates) and has completed a CD ("And the Word Was Hip-Hop") as well as published a beautiful Hip Hop Prayer book that puts a new spin on ancient words:

Psalm 23 reads in part: "The Lord is all that/I need for nothing/He allows me to chill/He keeps me from being heated/and allows me to breathe easy..." All prayers are ended with "Amen" and then "Word!"

Lloyd "Paradox" Gonzales, 34,who occasionally attends the eMass, keeps it simple when asked why he raps in church.

"I'm a rapper. And I was a rapper before I was a Christian. And that's my talent, that's my skill."

Your Voice

Poppa T says he has gotten some flack from his congregation -- "I have been called a racist because I would employ hip-hop to so-call enslave the children of my community in hip-hop. So there's some very deep feelings." But he adds, all in all he has been educated from the experience.

And speaking of backlash, Walker simply dismisses it as small mindedness.

"There are the purists and the traditionalists who say they know God and have all these rules and these traditions and all these laws," he says. "Those are cool and fine, but you can't put God in a box. He's too powerful, he's too awesome; you don't know him. We are all working for the same team."

Says gospel hip-hop producer Chris "Rock" Belmont, 26, who has been attending Hip Hop eMass for two years and travels frequently with Poppa T: "Church people have a lot of rules. Like one big rule is covering your head in church or women wearing pants in church. But it's a tradition, and I would respect people if they just said it was that instead of saying it's a sin.

"Are you mad at the service because of the form or are you mad at it because it's not showing God's love?" queries Rock. "Is it about the form or is it about God?"

Wow, that kinda seems like a little too much. But if that is what will help kids go to church and learn about God, then why not? It might be a good idea, unless things get out of control.

Yeah, I think its cool how they use known beats tho.

Do you really want to hear something in church which bares any affiliation to "Suck it or not"?But I guess they're repping positivity so that's cool...but i doubt too many teens will look past the entertainment value of the scenario and get in touch in their spiritual side...

Edited by ash trey

I don't exactly know for how long these kids will stay outta the streets...it's basically like going to church (more like a hip hop freestyle session)on Sunday.Then sell dope on Monday...

I am not criticizing the thought but I am a little unsure as to the amount of positive influence these teens receive...

I really think this is a strong idea by Kurtis Blow, I really think that in order for it to truely to take off though the most popular rappers should get involved with this, then that way a lot of kids will be influenced