JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

COMMUTER SAVES MAN ON SUBWAY TRACKS

When i read this, it was a breath of fresh air 2 see that in 2007, there are still people in this world with a selfless attitude and actually care about other people. Props 2 this guy...

--------------------------

Commuter Saves Man on Subway Tracks

By DEEPTI HAJELA

NEW YORK (Jan. 3) - Trying to rescue a teenager from a subway track as a train roared in, Wesley Autrey faced a harrowing choice: Try to pull the young man to the platform, or push him down and hope to find a safe harbor between the rails.

"I tried to pull him up, but I had to make a split decision whether or not to struggle and maybe end up getting us both killed," Autrey said later. "So I just chose to dive on top of him and pin him down."

It worked. The train passed over them, saving the 19-year-old who had fallen, police said. A relative identified him as Cameron Hollopeter, a student at the New York Film Academy.

Hollopeter's stepmother, Rachel Hollopeter, said Autrey was "an angel."

"He was so heroic," she said early Wednesday in a telephone interview. "If he wasn't there, this would be a whole different call."

The teenager had a medical problem Tuesday and tumbled onto the tracks at a station in northern Manhattan, police said.

Autrey, waiting with his two young daughters, jumped down and rolled with the young man into the trough between the rails as a southbound train came into the station.

The drainage trough is typically about 12 inches deep but can be as shallow as 8 or as deep as 24, a New York City Transit spokesman said.

The train's operator put the emergency brakes on. Before the train stopped, two cars passed over the men - with about 2 inches to spare, Autrey said.

Neither man was hit, police said. Authorities said the rescued man was in stable condition later Tuesday at a local hospital.

Autrey, 50, declined medical attention. Onlookers cheered him, hugged him and called him a hero.

"I don't feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help," he told The New York Times. "I did what I felt was right."

its the stuff u wish you could see more of...

i was just in NYC last week, and people were ruder than EVER...but then this man showed there is still good out there...

I don't know where you hang out, people are decent to me, but if you are in a sopt as crowded as times square or something, then don't expect too much from the people who are more likely other tourists as opposed to native NY'ers.

But it was good for what that guy did, I know there are quite a few spots on the tracks that re deemed safe, becasuse since the trains run 24/7 here construction workers have to be working while the trains are running and they need spots to be safe in just in case a train comes down a track that is being worked on.