JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Where are Eminem and Ludacris in your list of greats?

Bob

"Rap is something you do, HipHop is something you live" KRS-ONE

Thats the difference

someone lock the thread cause its jumping from topic to topic and becoming a disturbance... just start a fresh thread titled "my opinions on random rappers in the game"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rap is something you do, HipHop is something you live" KRS-ONE

Thats the difference

someone lock the thread cause its jumping from topic to topic and becoming a disturbance... just start a fresh thread titled "my opinions on random rappers in the game"

word...this happens a lot..guys try to stay in topic :4-only1ha:

I grew up on grandmaster flash..melle mel..run dmc..whodini..epmd..krs one..de la soul..tribe called quest..souls of mischief..del the funky homosapian..3rd bass..brand nubian..masta ace..pharcyde.. kutis blow..afrika bambaata..jungle brothers.. eric b & rakim.. public enemy.. heavy d.. freestyle fellowship.. black sheep.. das efx.. digital underground..slick rick.. doug e fresh.. gangstarr.. queen latifah.. ultramagnetic mcs.. salt n pepa.. stetsasonic.. rakim..pete rock & cl smooth.. jazzy jeff n fresh prince..

WHAT? NO NEWCLEUS??? :arg:

Man...2 many pop music fans in here.

why bother arguing with comments that are as thoughtful as a 12 year olds ramblings on myspace.. :sleep2:

Please explain that, guys. I wanna know what you mean by that. Please explain the difference between Rap and Hip Hop to me. I don't get the point. It's all the same to me. A beat and a rhyme. And I'm listening to both old stuff and new stuff and I like both.

Rap is a genre of music. Anybody can do a Rap record. Adam Ant made a Rap record. Mel Brooks made Rap records. Richard Little and Rodney Dangerfield did Rap records.

Hip-Hop is a culture. Hip-Hop Music is the music of that culture, and not all of it is Rap, and not all of Rap is Hip-Hop. For one thing, some essential ingredients of Hip-Hop Music has always been originality, creativity, and authenticity. It has always been an extreme violation of Hip-Hop culture to "bite" somebody else's "style". In the Rap Industry biting the style of others is the rule rather than a violation. When Hip-Hop ruled Rap no two groups sounded alike, now they almost all sound the same. That is NOT Hip-Hop.

The bottom line is, if a Rap artist is not true to Hip-Hop culture then he is NOT Hip-Hop! If his records are not rooted in Hip-Hop culture then they are NOT Hip-Hop either! When Bob Marley made "I Shot The Sheriff" it was Reggae. When Eric Clapton remade "I Shot The Sheriff" it was NOT considered Reggae even though he used the same rhythm, because he was NOT rooted in the culture.

Guest Guest_JumpinJack AJ_*

Amen! Adding on2 that, Hip-Hop music is honest and true 2 the artist. A Hip-Hop artist will move a crowd. With this current rap cats, they don't really move a crowd...they just buy some expesive lights and rap. The interaction isn't there, the pesona isn't there, the ability 2 vibe with the crowd and make them play off the artist is not there. Puffy dosen't rock a crowd...Rakim rocks a crowd. Ja-Rule is phoney on the mic, whereas Fresh Prince puts his heart and experiences in the music. If the majority of an artist's music is full of fictional stories or borrowed stories and formulas, they are not true 2 themselves. And they are disrespecting the people that buy their music.

Hip-Hop music isn't strictly Rap either. Mary J. Blige is a Hip-Hop artist who happens be an R-N-B/Soul singer. TLC is a Hip-Hop group with a mixture of Hip-Hop and R-N-B wrapped up in a radio-ready package. That's where being submerged in Hip-Hop culture can have an artist who is labled under a different genre a Hip-Hop artist even if they don't rap.

It's not easy for everyone 2 understand...but it's simple.

• Admin

I grew up on grandmaster flash..melle mel..run dmc..whodini..epmd..krs one..de la soul..tribe called quest..souls of mischief..del the funky homosapian..3rd bass..brand nubian..masta ace..pharcyde.. kutis blow..afrika bambaata..jungle brothers.. eric b & rakim.. public enemy.. heavy d.. freestyle fellowship.. black sheep.. das efx.. digital underground..slick rick.. doug e fresh.. gangstarr.. queen latifah.. ultramagnetic mcs.. salt n pepa.. stetsasonic.. rakim..pete rock & cl smooth.. jazzy jeff n fresh prince..

WHAT? NO NEWCLEUS??? :arg:

I didnt hear some newcleus till the late 90s to be honest.. I blame my brother I kind of fed off his hip hop collection in the early years :3-laugh3:

Well I think people made their point already about Luda and Em...