JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Where are Eminem and Ludacris in your list of greats?

Bob

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I think the main problem in this argument may be that many of you don't realize that there is a huge difference between Rap and Hip-Hop. Rap is a genre like Pop, while Hip-Hop is a culture. Perhaps it's for the better anyway, enjoy watching your Rap world devour itself. :shrug:

I've said stuff like this on this board for years...some people roll their eyes when i do. Maybe it'll sink in since it's not me saying it.

Maybe its because this current generation didn't grow up on hip hop :damnyou: :damnyou:

I dont know who you'r talking to, but I think I'm part of the current generation, and you cant tell me I did not grow up with Hip Hop. The firts record's I ever listened to in my life where, next to Aretha Franklin & The Blues Brothers, Mobb Deep & LL Cool J.

I wasnt referring to you but you proved my point nicely. First of all you incorrectly spelt "first." Secondly Aretha Franklin, blues brothers and mobb depp are not hip hop. I grew up on grandmaster flash..melle mel..run dmc..whodini..epmd..krs one..de la soul..tribe called quest..souls of mischief..del the funky homosapian..3rd bass..brand nubian..masta ace..pharcyde.. kutis blow..afrika bambaata..jungle brothers.. eric b & rakim.. public enemy.. heavy d.. freestyle fellowship.. black sheep.. das efx.. digital underground..slick rick.. doug e fresh.. gangstarr.. queen latifah.. ultramagnetic mcs.. salt n pepa.. stetsasonic.. rakim..pete rock & cl smooth.. jazzy jeff n fresh prince..

So I have a different perspective..

and when I listen to the crap that is commercially successful and at the top of the charts.. damn right I'm gonna say.. THAT ISH IS WACK!!!!

Man...2 many pop music fans in here.

why bother arguing with comments that are as thoughtful as a 12 year olds ramblings on myspace.. :sleep2:

Please explain that, guys. I wanna know what you mean by that. Please explain the difference between Rap and Hip Hop to me. I don't get the point. It's all the same to me. A beat and a rhyme. And I'm listening to both old stuff and new stuff and I like both.

You know Mobb Deep actually had real potential but they destroyed all credibility by signing with G-Unit. I think that's what Tim meant by Mobb Deep aren't hip-hop.

As far Em & Luda go, They definitely aren't top 10 in my book and I don't think they'll make top 20 in my book. That's not to say that they don't have some skills, it's just that there are a lot of emcees I would put in front of them.

Mobb Deep used to be mad cool back when "the infamous" was out....theie albums even after that were also pretty much decent...i even checked out Blood Money...never checking for Mobb Deep again.

Early Mobb Deep is easily good hip hop...even Jeff bumps "Survival Of The Fittest" and "Shook Ones" during his live sets....

• Admin

mobb depp has had some nice tracks..but they sold out to the industry like most of todays rappers.. you can have your mobb depp I'll be bumpin sum whodini in the meantime.. I dont care that you like what you like.. I'm just saying I listen to completely different music..and I couldnt care less about the latest G-Unit, eminem or dirty south record..