JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Where are Eminem and Ludacris in your list of greats?

Bob

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Ludacris isn't a bad rapper in my oppinion, but he's far from being great. He's got two or three very good songs, but that's it.

Eminem IS in my top 10 list of my favourite rappers. Just because he's got very very good and funny rhymes. He is a gift to the hip hop world, his major success from 1999 till 2003 proved that. I think he never lost his skills, he became more thoughtful about himself, that's why lots of people think he became whack. I don't think so.

And about ghostwriters or somethin' like that, IT DOESN'T MATTER. I don't care who writes the song. If it's a good song with good rhymes, then it doesn't matter who wrote the lyrics. Most popstars don't even write one song by themselves. And it doesn't matter there. Why in hip hop? Some artists have so much albums and so much featured songs, that it wouldn't surprise me if they're not by themselves. Come on.

And finally about the marketing aspect. You're right. Marketing sells records. The best example is Will's Lost & Found (especially the Party Starter single), or for example Method Man's new album "4:21". I found it when I checked the hip hop department of a shop. I checked it, I liked it, I bought it. But I didn't know something about it's release, because nobody mentioned it's release. And I think it didn't sell well. That proves that it doesn't matter how great the lyrics are, if there's no marketing that promotes the album, it won't be bought by the mass (except fans, of course). And that's the bottom line about that.

I think the main problem in this argument may be that many of you don't realize that there is a huge difference between Rap and Hip-Hop. Rap is a genre like Pop, while Hip-Hop is a culture. Perhaps it's for the better anyway, enjoy watching your Rap world devour itself. :shrug:

I think the main problem in this argument may be that many of you don't realize that there is a huge difference between Rap and Hip-Hop. Rap is a genre like Pop, while Hip-Hop is a culture. Perhaps it's for the better anyway, enjoy watching your Rap world devour itself. :shrug:

I've said stuff like this on this board for years...some people roll their eyes when i do. Maybe it'll sink in since it's not me saying it.

• Admin

I've said stuff like this on this board for years...some people roll their eyes when i do. Maybe it'll sink in since it's not me saying it.

Maybe its because this current generation didn't grow up on hip hop :damnyou: :damnyou:

Maybe its because this current generation didn't grow up on hip hop :damnyou: :damnyou:

I dont know who you'r talking to, but I think I'm part of the current generation, and you cant tell me I did not grow up with Hip Hop. The firts record's I ever listened to in my life where, next to Aretha Franklin & The Blues Brothers, Mobb Deep & LL Cool J.

Guest lambertj3

Just to clarify.. Will actually writes the songs..he's got help from nas, kel spencer, mad skillz & common on the structure of rhymes, the words etc.. Having been in a room with Will writing rhymes, I can see how someone would offer some advice on how to word something, or how to make it flow better.. but the content and ideas of the songs are all Will.. Personally I dont see why he needs to do it.. Jeff has challenged Will he said just spend 2 weeks in the studio, no ghostwriters, no one else.. just Will and Jeff and see what they come up with.. Will's response? Film 2 more movies and sign up for about 3 more :thumbdown:

So Will doesn't have whole songs written for him.. but I dont think he should get any help with his rhymes.. Kel Spencer maybe could come in here and tell us exactly what he does.. Ghostwriting seems rampant these days..it may be why all the songs sound the same now :kekeke:

Da Ace I feel what you're saying..you are putting your blood sweat n tears into what you love hip hop..and you wouldnt be true to it to have someone else writing your rhymes..

i love will but i am curious have you been in the studio when he had say a petey pablo? how do you know he didn't have petey write whole songs for him ? i know you saw him write a whole song himself thats a fact but i just wonder

Guest Guest_derrickbrock14_*

Well Eminem does have skills but at the minute he's just putting those skills to bad use. His word play was awesome back in The Slim Shadey LP days but now he just isnt as good as he used to be. I also wouldn't say that Eminem is the most skillful rapper out cause there are 100's of emcee's who've got more skills than Eminem

and Eminem does talk some bull crap in his lyrics like ''Radio won't evan play my jam''. What the hell? The radio plays his music before anyone else and ''They tried to shut me down on MTV''. Again more bull cause Eminem is always on MTV and TRL

all i can say is that this is everyone has an opinion but he still is better than 90% rappers out today and ludacris is also highly skilled but forever slept on , and albums aren't sold on word play but good songs

Albums are sold on MARKETING!

marketing and word play are not exclusive and two different things

Don't get your point. :sipread:

You said that "albums aren't sold on word play but good songs". I am saying that YOU ARE WRONG, albums are NOT sold on EITHER! MARKETING is what sells albums today!

i am not wrong and it s not hard to figure out a song sells because people like the SONG not if a rapper can do lrical gymnastics

Em is crazy....Luda is decent, no toplist. period

you cant wave off luda like that

he is the current king of metaphors and punch lines

maybe u're right, but i dont focus in lil details of a rapper, i focus in the whole package to consider him in my toplist