JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Where are Eminem and Ludacris in your list of greats?

Bob

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understand now, don't get me wrong! I'm NOT saying that Will got "help" on "Summertime" or that Rakim was his ghostwriter, I'm just saying that until you guys telling me that he has done this on other records I would have never considered it a possibility. I still believe it was a pretty damm blatant bite.

Will throughout his career has had the skill to adjust his style and flow to what was happening at the time. He went a little too far (in MY opinion) on "Summertime", but it achieved the desired effect.

This is becoming pretty funny and serious if you ask me.

Take this for example... ive written and produced over a combined 300 tracks since 17 years of age. (senior year of high school)... Im currently in my 4th year of college and yet over the course of these 4 going on 5 years i still keep in mind my true love... music. I had a scholarship for basketball that ended bad my freshman year and ive been on an extreme roller coaster ride since. Im flat broke and i even had to pick up some very low paying jobs just to pay rent but yet i havent charged one person for any of my mixtapes. Those 3 mixtapes combined are just at 3 hours in length, not counting the many hours it took for me to write, record, and find time for it. Its sacrifice. I have everyright to charge for my music for personal reasons but my music, to me, wouldnt have spread as rapidly. A 9hr job 5 days a week that ends up going towards rent, gas and food... plus 15hrs a week of attending classes, and countless hours of staying up, losing sleep over my true love... HipHop (writing, producing, recording and just listening as a fan). Yall can find excuses for Will and say this and that but i firsthand understand and have experienced a hectic schedule when 24/7 your feeling exhausted and in the roughest times of that experience i released "The Magnificent Mixtape" and since that release been working hard on my album. Will has money, has talent and has the ability to write his own lyrical content. I love the dude but ive never thought once of having someone write my stuff. So we can continue to debate over who wrote what or who did this but bottom line... you shouldnt have people doing what you love for you (writing rhymes or ghostproducing) especially in HipHop when YOUR skills determine your status and respect. Money isnt an issue and shouldnt even be allowed to interfere in what you truly love.

I just had to get that off my chest cause theyre so many excuses nowadays to cover up for the sacrifices these people arent willing to make. I eat, sleep and live for HipHop... and no matter how succesful i become in any area of business or entertainment, when it comes to making music... i dont want anyone putting their hands in on what i should be controlling.

Peace, Love, Unity & Having Fun... HipHops true nature

Edited by DaAce

This is becoming pretty funny and serious if you ask me.

Take this for example... ive written and produced over a combined 300 tracks since 17 years of age. (senior year of high school)... Im currently in my 4th year of college and yet over the course of these 4 going on 5 years i still keep in mind my true love... music. I had a scholarship for basketball that ended bad my freshman year and ive been on an extreme roller coaster ride since. Im flat broke and i even had to pick up some very low paying jobs just to pay rent but yet i havent charged one person for any of my mixtapes. Those 3 mixtapes combined are just at 3 hours in length, not counting the many hours it took for me to write, record, and find time for it. Its sacrifice. I have everyright to charge for my music for personal reasons but my music, to me, wouldnt have spread as rapidly. A 9hr job 5 days a week that ends up going towards rent, gas and food... plus 15hrs a week of attending classes, and countless hours of staying up, losing sleep over my true love... HipHop (writing, producing, recording and just listening as a fan). Yall can find excuses for Will and say this and that but i firsthand understand and have experienced a hectic schedule when 24/7 your feeling exhausted and in the roughest times of that experience i released "The Magnificent Mixtape" and since that release been working hard on my album. Will has money, has talent and has the ability to write his own lyrical content. I love the dude but ive never thought once of having someone write my stuff. So we can continue to debate over who wrote what or who did this but bottom line... you shouldnt have people doing what you love for you (writing rhymes or ghostproducing) especially in HipHop when YOUR skills determine your status and respect. Money isnt an issue and shouldnt even be allowed to interfere in what you truly love.

I just had to get that off my chest cause theyre so many excuses nowadays to cover up for the sacrifices these people arent willing to make. I eat, sleep and live for HipHop... and no matter how succesful i become in any area of business or entertainment, when it comes to making music... i dont want anyone putting their hands in on what i should be controlling.

Peace, Love, Unity & Having Fun... HipHops true nature

Well said!

• Admin

Just to clarify.. Will actually writes the songs..he's got help from nas, kel spencer, mad skillz & common on the structure of rhymes, the words etc.. Having been in a room with Will writing rhymes, I can see how someone would offer some advice on how to word something, or how to make it flow better.. but the content and ideas of the songs are all Will.. Personally I dont see why he needs to do it.. Jeff has challenged Will he said just spend 2 weeks in the studio, no ghostwriters, no one else.. just Will and Jeff and see what they come up with.. Will's response? Film 2 more movies and sign up for about 3 more :thumbdown:

So Will doesn't have whole songs written for him.. but I dont think he should get any help with his rhymes.. Kel Spencer maybe could come in here and tell us exactly what he does.. Ghostwriting seems rampant these days..it may be why all the songs sound the same now :kekeke:

Da Ace I feel what you're saying..you are putting your blood sweat n tears into what you love hip hop..and you wouldnt be true to it to have someone else writing your rhymes..

Yeah the "light" that Cozmo D just had...hit me a couple of years ago while digging through Rakim's early stuff...If you hear "Move the Crowd" it will most definitely remind you of the flow in summertime.

But maybe that's because Will adopted a more chill approach on that song...and somehow found the similarity to Rakim's flow incidentally.

Rakim and Will are very similar mcs, especially in the earlier days, their most recent stuff sounds different though, there's songs on "Rock The House" that Rakim could've done, there are songs on "Paid In Full" that Will could've done...

Edited by bigted

Rakim and Will are very similar mcs, especially in the earlier days, their most recent stuff sounds different though, there's songs on "Rock The House" that Rakim could've done, there are songs on "Paid In Full" that Will could've done...

Seriously man, you're way off. They DO have similar cadences but that's where it ends. Their phrasings and inflections are completely different... except for "Summertime".

Yeah the "light" that Cozmo D just had...hit me a couple of years ago while digging through Rakim's early stuff...If you hear "Move the Crowd" it will most definitely remind you of the flow in summertime.

But maybe that's because Will adopted a more chill approach on that song...and somehow found the similarity to Rakim's flow incidentally.

Could be, but I bet the first person he played it for said to him "yo, you sound like Rakim on that joint". :3-laugh3:

Guest Guest_Lerkot_*

I'm pretty sure Rakim wasnt involved in Summertime. Not because Will wasnt interested - I think he wouldnt have turned Rakim's help down if it was offered - but because Rakim doesnt seem to be the ghostwriting guy. In fact, from what I've seen of Rakim he seems pretty lazy and satisfied with life.

I must say that I think Will has got pretty much everything ghostwritten (since Homebase or more likely Code Red) in the way Hero1 said it. I dont know if I like it or dislike it. I can find it irritating, but at the same time its kind of a relief that he has picked ghostwriters (yeah well... co-writers) with the same attitude as himself.

To return to the subject... I put together a top 30 list...

1. Melle Mel

2. Q-Tip

3. Slick Rick

4. Sha-Rock

5. Will Smith

6. André 3000

7. KRS-One

8. Kevie Kev

9. Grandmaster Caz

10. Phife Dogg

11. Kool Moe Dee

12. Run

13. Raheem (from GMF&F5)

14. Chubb Rock

15. Big Boi

16. Tupac

17. Busta Rhymes

18. MC Lyte

19. Posdnuos

20. Cowboy

21. Rakim

22. Jazzy Jeff

23. LL Cool J

24. Kurtis Blow

25. Biz Markie

26. Speech

27. Gary Byrd

28. MCA

29. DMC

30. Freddie Foxxx

----

Close to 100: Eminem, Ludacris

Just to clarify.. Will actually writes the songs..he's got help from nas, kel spencer, mad skillz & common on the structure of rhymes, the words etc.. Having been in a room with Will writing rhymes, I can see how someone would offer some advice on how to word something, or how to make it flow better.. but the content and ideas of the songs are all Will.. Personally I dont see why he needs to do it.. Jeff has challenged Will he said just spend 2 weeks in the studio, no ghostwriters, no one else.. just Will and Jeff and see what they come up with.. Will's response? Film 2 more movies and sign up for about 3 more :thumbdown:

So Will doesn't have whole songs written for him.. but I dont think he should get any help with his rhymes.. Kel Spencer maybe could come in here and tell us exactly what he does.. Ghostwriting seems rampant these days..it may be why all the songs sound the same now :kekeke:

Da Ace I feel what you're saying..you are putting your blood sweat n tears into what you love hip hop..and you wouldnt be true to it to have someone else writing your rhymes..

Thank God u said that, i was getting worried when everyone was saying he had them written for him. I always thought it was like that too, Will wrote most of the lyrics but had a few changes by other people or even a couple of lines. i guess we will never know exactly what happens, it would be great to here from Kel tho. If it is just a few changes it doesnt bother me that much, but i would prefer 100% Will. But if some1 is writing the majority of his lyrics, its almost like betrayal coz we thought we were listening to Will.

wow, same room for him writing rhymes?? that's definitely awesome, not just saying hi, but where he's creatively coming up with his stuff.

now i'm new to the idea will has had ghost writers. is there proof? has he said so? i am really unaware.

this is awesome tho, alot of back and forth stuff, not neccessarily the same topic, but awesome to see the thought processes in other fans of hiphop