JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will is one of the best rappers?

• Members

I'm a Will Smith fan for several years now. I love Will's music.... You guys always say that he is one of the best rappers (or the best) but i don't agree with that. I think that Will is one of the best enternainers in the industry but you can't go out and say that he is in the level of Pac, Big, Nas, Jay-z, Racim, etc....

What place do you guys think that Will deserves in the top rappers of all time? ---> my guess is that he is not in the top 5 (even Will himself would agree with that)....

Waiting for your comments,

I'm a Will Smith fan for several years now. I love Will's music.... You guys always say that he is one of the best rappers (or the best) but i don't agree with that. I think that Will is one of the best enternainers in the industry but you can't go out and say that he is in the level of Pac, Big, Nas, Jay-z, Racim, etc....

What place do you guys think that Will deserves in the top rappers of all time? ---> my guess is that he is not in the top 5 (even Will himself would agree with that)....

Waiting for your comments,

IMO there isn't ever going to be the all time greatest rapper because everyone brings different things, different styles, different lryics. Also, its impossible to decide who the best rapper is because its all a matter of individual opinion. Will is my favorite rapper, but I don't know if would say he is the best because there are so many different rappers out there with different styles.

If I would select a winner on every spot that Brakes said I would do like this

Lyrics - Andre 3000

Flow - Melle Mel, Will Smith, Andre 3000, Q-Tip, all four of them :)

Wordplay - Q-Tip

Image - Will Smith

Subject matter - Andre 3000

Longevity - Will Smith

Sales - Will Smith

Smith is my winner if you see it that way, but theres much more.

Edited by Lerkot

• Members

Maybe in image and longevity i agree.

But you can't compare Will in lyrics to the ones mentioned above...

In sales Jay-z is bigger than Will, and sales don't make an artist good.....

Will's rap style is more pop than hip hop. Lyrically speaking, which song do you guys think is Will's best?.....Can we say that Will have a hip hop classic?

"David Letterman even said he like that track man

Even though he ain’t a rap fan

Black radio, they won’t play though

Ever since “Summertime” they ain’t liked none of mine

Even though the fans went out & bought enough

I guess they think Will ain’t hard enough

Maybe I should just have a shoot out

Run up in the bank, bustin’, grabbin’ all the loot out

Whoop somebody ass, taking my boot out

Right on TV so ya’ll can see me

Just ignorant, attacking, actin’ rough

I mean, then will I be black enough

Oh wait maybe I’ll jack a truck

Full of cigarettes, guns & drugs & stuff"

"I always envied how ya’ll rock wit Dre & the Chronic

The way that Tupac, Biggie, 50 and Jigga got it

A lot like L.L., Chuck D, Slick & Dougie

I think ya’ll love me, but ya’ll place other rappers above me

& I don’t know if you feel my flow

& be at my show & you’ll see where I should go

On the charts of rhyme arts & thoughts in rap form

Damnit, I expanded the platform

Damnit, this Cat’s on a rap song

Yeah, it ain’t no braids or plats on

Ain’t on stage wit no gats on

You know I’m afraid, getting’ my act on

It might have stunted my growth

But I wanted them both

& I hope that it would be less tougher

You do two things & then they both gonna suffer

I chose to act & it broke my heart not to rap

Prodigal son, clever, better than ever, back"

-Basically Will says here that people underestimate him 'cause he ain't hardcore enough, but if he was a thugged out rapper he'd be in everyone's top 5, basically most rap fans are immature kids from the ghetto or rich kids who wanna be thugs, lol, Will reaches a much diverse audience 'cause he raps about real issues instead of boasting about guns and drug deals: "Gangsta rap's a menace to society/Flows all the same, my pen spits variety", the only gangsta rappers that I'd consider on Will's level are Pac and Ice Cube 'cause they're somewhat diverse, basically other than that really the only rappers that're on Will's level as far as being consistant with longevity are LL, KRS, and Chuck D, Rakim hasn't rapped in so long it seems, lol,how many rappers in hip-hop history have as many classics as Will does? "Rock The House", "He's The DJ...", "Homebase", "Code Red", "Big Willie Style", "Willenium", and "Lost and Found" are all classic albums, now you sound like somebody who only heard 'Gettin' Jiggy Wit It', buy the albums, listen to them and then tell me that Will ain't a legendary mc and I'll get back to you dawg, peace

Its really hard to say, if you want so sub-catergeorize everything:

in the genre of "party-rap" or "pop-rap" Will would clock in at number one, no contest.

however in general, its harder. I think that Will and Jeff are important figures in the world of rap, and Will has done more than he gets credit for, and that's a fact. I would say that JJFP are in the top 5, but I don't know about solo Will Smith

Hmmm... let's see. I think that Will is one of the best storytellers in rap history. To me he is on par with Slick Rick. Flow wise, he's up there as well because he's been able to change flows and as far as lyrics, he's diverse. I don't think he's the greatest but if you put the 20 best rappers together in a picture then you better have FP in there. 30 million records sold & 4 Grammys is an impressive resume and not too many rappers can boast that.

I do think he's one of the best and i always have. In fact, i think it's rediculous that some don't see him in the top 10. Everyone has different tastes, opinions, and ties 2 Hip-Hop...but the reality is, is that some emcees clearly are good and some clearly are bad. Fresh Prince is the truth. He's one of the greatest storytellers...he's hilarious. He can hit u with with rhymes AND creative writing. He can write stuff the masses with feel and stuff that the die hard fan will identify with personally...like it waz written just 4 them. He's down 2 earth and he's real. He's not pretending 2 be something he's not like so many others. He's kept his rhymes clean and his style true even though it's turned in2 the unpopular thing 2 do. It would be so eazy 2 give up and quit...or surrender 2 the trends and become a useless recording artist. But one man stood up, and that man's he, 2 show u what it takes 2 be a real emcee (ha ha...forgive me).

Be real, FP's kept his game tight. His lyrics and flow are timeless. They have stayed sharp over the years. He doesn't rely on overly done slang, cussing and tasteless lyrics, and his voice is crisp on the mic. I mean, think about it, how many emcees or rappers have a voice that has never been annoying (Ja, Jay, 50, Em, etc). On top of that, FP usually has top quality beats. And after all of that music stuff, he's a super cool, intellegent, humble, spiritual, family man.

If u really think about it...alot of his biggest fans are even underrating him. FP truely is one of Hip-Hop's top finest...period.

Maybe in image and longevity i agree.

But you can't compare Will in lyrics to the ones mentioned above...

In sales Jay-z is bigger than Will, and sales don't make an artist good.....

Will's rap style is more pop than hip hop. Lyrically speaking, which song do you guys think is Will's best?.....Can we say that Will have a hip hop classic?

Lost & Found is probably Wills best song lyrically, but theres plenty. He has done several classics.

Well the thing is Will ain't really just a pop rapper, he's represents real hip-hop, the fact is many peeps forgot what real hip-hop is, real hip-hop is supposed to be music that brings people together from all different walks of life in unity and that's what Will does, listen to what the original pioneer of hip-hop Afrika Bambataa says what real hip-hop is,real hip-hop ain't just ghetto music, real hip-hop is worldwide music, and that's what Will has done, he's reached 30 million people worldwide, people from all ages, races, etc. enjoy his music, so what he's done fun songs, real hip-hop is about having fun anyway, check the original rappers, they weren't gun toking in their rhymes,that's what a real mc is supposed to do,Will is the definition of real hip-hop no question about it, and if you don't think so you need to check yourself for real, those who call Will just a pop rapper need to check themselves, most of these so called rap heads don't know the history of the game so basically I don't believe their hype, I just wave them off, they've been brainwashed by too much gun raps and they think that's what real rap is all about, lol, when I put out an album a lot of those fools would probably make fun of me too when I put out an album 'cause I like to rap about real life just like Will, hip-hop is real life music, not just ghetto music, even LL says that you don't have to be rapping about gangsta stuff to be a great rapper, you just have to command the crowd with your performance and your lyrics to be a great rapper, when it comes to talent Will's a long time proven talent, people wouldn't be buying his albums, go watch him perform for 20 years if he couldn't rap, it's like people would always want to watch Jordan play throughout the 2 decades he played basketball and they kept getting his gear, even if Will stops rapping soon there's still gonna be people checking for his music, he's a timeless artist, whoever appreciates fun and thought out music appreciate Will very much....