JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hip hop question

analogue

I thought about this myself too. It still kinda creeps in my mind, but just find the confidence in how you sound. Kweli is one of the 1st artists that come to my mind. I recently read somebody from another forum say they didn't like Krondon (From the Strong Arm Steady crew). I know UK emcees go thru it too. I think it's a norm of what sounds nice and what doesn't. The voices can vary just like the actual music, but again, if the confidence isn't there, you ain't gonna grasp too much of anybody no matter how your voice sounds.

The funny thing is i live in the UK and i was wondering if my Welsh accent would sound stupid while i was rapping lol

People also say that i should quit rapping just because i'm welsh. I never grew up in the hood and i'm not American

I mean it shouldn't matter where you grow up or where you live right? As long as you got skills that's all that matters right?

Edited by analogue

U don't have 2 have a good voice...but u have 2 have good lyrics, smart lines, talent 2 rock the beat, rock the crowd, etc. Not all those guys u mentioned can do that.

2 me, it's just like singing. Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey have the most amazing voices. T-Boz has a raspy voice, but people love her vibe cuz of her style is real...and she can do the 'pretty voice' style when needed. Mary J. Blige has an amazing voice with cracks here and there. That's cuz her spirit, her lyrics, etc are all honest and fit her vocal style. Macy Gray doesn't even really have a singing voice...ha ha. But her style is successful becuz she is a songwriter and producer who sings as an artist and a vocal talent. So when it comes 2 talent, real music fans want artistry. So if u are lacking in one area, it's not always a bad thing (sometimes it is). But when u have a lacking voice and no other real talent 2 make up for it....it's just bad.

i dont think accents matter, but for me personally the sound of some1's voice matters. One of the reasons i dont like eminem is bcoz i dont like the sound of his voice, mainly when he puts on that jokey voice. Lyrics and flow come first but i dont want to listen to some1's annoying voice in my ear phones.

btw analogue, Goldie looking chain are welsh arnt they?

i dont think accents matter, but for me personally the sound of some1's voice matters. One of the reasons i dont like eminem is bcoz i dont like the sound of his voice, mainly when he puts on that jokey voice. Lyrics and flow come first but i dont want to listen to some1's annoying voice in my ear phones.

btw analogue, Goldie looking chain are welsh arnt they?

Yes they are

But IMO their music is kinda wack and i just wanna show people that not all Welsh rappers are like them lol

Voice is quite important to a rapper, but you can't always write one off because of an awkward voice. Eminem, Jay-Z, T.I.,etc. I don't like all too much because their voices are quite annoying. Chino XL is a helluva lyricist, but his voice is pretty annoying too. Others like Sadat X...weird voice; great rapper, love his flow, unique. Just thinking about this topic, Chali 2na has such a great voice for rapping, doesn't he?