JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

So do you think LL's trying to knock out Jay-Z?

bigted

Wow I notice quite a bit of people are making it look like LL wants to battle with Jay-Z, or is it really that way? He's slamming Jay-Z for the age comment a few months ago when his album came out that he's still gonna rap in his 40's even though Jay-Z said no rappers in their 40's should rap, he slammed Jay-Z for not promoting his record and now he's slamming Jay-Z for being too busy writing rhymes to promote his artists so that's why he's not gonna resign there, is this all a plan to get Jay-Z' to crack and make a diss record at LL? Is LL gonna spend most of his next album making Mama Said Knock You Out songs towards Jay-Z? This is really interesting to see what's gonna happen, whoever wins could have the title as Def Jam president, lol... I really think people're misunderstanding this comment once again, basically what LL's saying is true, Jay-Z spent too much time writing his own rhymes for his new album then he did to promote mostly every album on that label released this year, I mean where was he when Method Man and The Roots came out? Jay-Z wants to just use the CEO of Def Jam to his own benefit and don't want that many other rappers to shine, he won't promote a hot Method Man album but he'll promote a weak Rick Ross album 'cause he knows that Rick Ross is not competition for him but Method Man is a legend and Jay-Z don't want another legend to take away his shine, he wants to make it look like he's the only platinum legend in the game, that's why he didn't promote LL's record either, Jay-Z rather pad his own stats, nowhe's doing as many duets with Beyonce as LL did r&b duets on his last album so to just nail LL for being soft is weak, and then they turn around and call Jay-Z' rap mature rap? Wtf's up with that for real? Actions speak louder than words, LL's more mature than Jay-Z, Jay-Z is selfish but LL's a team player,Jay-Z said that rap fans ain't that smart and he's right, that's why he's fooling them here,btw I'll be really surprised if Nas goes platinum 'cause it's 3 weeks until his album drops from today and now where's his video at? I actually hope Jay-Z makes a diss record to LL so LL could knock him out for good, but I think Jigga knows better than to do that, he better just make sure he writes Uncle L a nice check and promotes his next record and keep it moving

Edited by bigted

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an interesting thought, I certainly think it is a possibility. I think that Jay-Z would wait until LL actually was critical of him on a record, it took him a while to respond to Dipset, but then again, I would certainly put LL far above them, so who knows. Then again, Jay-Z would probably be hesitant to respond because he knows how good LL is.

Yeah Jay-Z' a LL fan so he probably won't even respond but if LL gets Dipset featured on his next record then I'd be thinking even more that LL wants to battle Jay-Z, lol, but more than likely I think all the Def Jam artists need to sit down in a room with Jay-Z and straighten this out like grown men with no camera on and just vent out with each other like athletes do in the lockerroom and then they just do a concert together, really I think beef is played out, but I sure wouldn't mind if people could finally see that Jay-Z' overrated and they start giving mcs like LL more credit that they deserve, if people say LL hasn't put out a hot record since Mama Said Knock You Out then Jay-Z didn't put out a hot record since Reasonable Doubt, simple as that really

Edited by bigted

I'd imagine that the responses would be divided here since half the board considers LL their favorite rapper after FP and the other half considers Jay-Z to be their favorite after FP, LL's my favorite after FP so you know who I'm pulling for, Jay-Z is like the Terrell Owens of rap, very talented but self centered so his team suffers most of the time while he shines, both played 10 years so far, or maybe he's Kobe of rap but certainly not the GOAT Jordan, Def Jam's not the most respected rap label anymore with Jay-Z at president and the Cowboys won't win the Super Bowl with Terrell Owens on their team, LL's the real Michael Jordan of rap or maybe the Jerry Rice of rap if you wanna make comparisons in the same sport, he's still a better rapper than most half his age and he has as many victories over other rappers as Jordan/Rice has rings while Def Jam was hell of a label(PE, Beasties, Slick Rick, EPMD, DMX, etc. were the dream teammates of the label), it's time for LL to "takeover" Def Jam to build it up like the Bulls/49ers dynasty again :stickpoke:

Edited by bigted

It's a tough one. I love LL and Jay man. But... like... thinking of their latest achievements I would say Jigga is better right now. LL in hos old style straight up battlerhyming would be better... but he hasn't dropped anything that has made me go like... damn since like ... alot of years.

And about promoting and stuff. You can't just say it's jays fault. It's about alot of other stuff to. Diddy had huge promotion and isn't pushing anything.

LL:s biggest fault was making such a cliché-video and a collabo with J.Lo. J.Lo ain't hot. Now throw like Rihanna or Nicole from PCD on there, change the video to a little more unique and stylish video and you would have a bigger hit.

Well if you check the record LL got Canibus, MC Hammer, Kool Moe Dee, etc. in the rap cemetary right now while Nas is still alive and ticking in the rap game especially since he "ether'd" Jay-Z, LL's just been more laid back since nobody been dissing him lately, he wanted to do more positive, fun, and mature rap records beyond beefing but since people consider him soft lately he gotta go back to the aggressive battle style again, he still showed nasty battle skills on songs like "Feel The Beat" and "What You Want?" so if Jay-Z' pissing him off he'll be in the rap cemetary with the other victims of LL Cool J, he better just pump his brakes and just promote LL's next record the way it should be, his next record's gonna be like Mama Said Knock You Out so it's gonna be a real strong street record that'll please all the rap heads, btw "Favorite Flavor" with Mary J. would've been a huge summertime hit if it came out, "Todd Smith" was a radio friendly record, it'd sold crazy if it had more promotion, it'd went platinum like the rest of LL's albums, that song with J-Lo was a big hit, it was the song with Lyfe that made "Todd Smith" run out of buzz...

Edited by bigted

But I find a full rapbeef pretty notrealistic. Jay has said that the only rapper that is allowed to call himself the G.O.A.T besides himself is LL. He's a huge LL fan and i think LL is kinda using that. Throwing shots at Jay knowing Jay won't answer.

But I find a full rapbeef pretty notrealistic. Jay has said that the only rapper that is allowed to call himself the G.O.A.T besides himself is LL. He's a huge LL fan and i think LL is kinda using that. Throwing shots at Jay knowing Jay won't answer.

Well yeah that's a good point there, more than likely they'll be able to work out their differences behind close doors like grown men, but of course it wouldn't hurt to have a great rap battle like this

They can promote music all they want, but if the music is wack, then promotion ain't gonna help anymore. Those days are coming to an end.

Yeah that's true LL can't be so relaxed, he gotta get on his grind and put out a classic if he wants the recognition again but that Method Man album is much better than Rick Ross, it wasn't right that it wasn't promoted, what about Lady Soverign? That chick got some serious mic skills but where's her promo at? Most importantly is Jay-Z' new album really that important to promote on TV so damn much to sell 800K in the first week? I'm one of LL's biggest fans and I could admit LL's album wasn't deserving to be his highest selling album, it didn't deserve to be his worst selling album either though, but is this "Kingdom Come" Jay-Z' best album? Hell to the nizzo, it'll be reflected once the hype dies down, the sales will drop mad quick, which'll show that he might've bought some of those albums, lol... It's like Jay-Z promotes the weaker artists so he could make it look like all commercial rap is garbage and he's the only quality rapper out there, until Jay-Z could promote a great rapper on his level the way he promotes himself then that means that LL's right and I'm right with what I'm saying here, Luda's new album got some great promo I'll give Jay-Z that, he's on his 3rd single in less than 2 months but he ain't really on Jay-Z' level though even though it was better than some of his other albums... The test will be now if Nas' album gets major promo that's when I'll shut up a lil' bit but until then it ain't like the Def Jam of the '80s/90s, something needs to be done, it's actually good that LL's stepping up saying this 'cause it feels like everyone kisses up to Jay-Z too much, somebody gotta put him on his toes to get the label to where it used to be, the label's garbage right now, he needs to do better... Def Jam has a legacy that rappers like LL built, no wonder he wants to leaves, he's done so much for that label and hip-hop in general that his opinion should matter, I'm sick of how all the pioneers are being pushed to the side, it's such an f'ing joke that Young Jeezy and Rick Ross are considered the top stars on Def Jam now, even 50 Cent raps better than them, lol,if they're really the best rappers in the game then like Nas said hip-hop is dead, Jay-Z needs to sign new rappers on the level of Lupe and promote the hell out of them to live up to the Def Jam legacy, and dump the Rick Ross wack rappers ASAP...

Edited by bigted

if there's one person to show LL how to make money off of a beef it's 50 cent....this could be 50 giving LL some tips on creating controversy

like what 50 did for mase, he said he tried to get mase to be controversial, so later he can get more people to listen to his music and get a deep message....I guess it's safe to say 50 believes the ends justify the means...

Well LL did mention he's doing a mixtape, maybe that's where he'd maybe make that knockout track, I don't think Jay-Z'll releasing LL's album if he's ripping him on it, lol, I think LL has a legit beef though I mean come on now it's getting ridiculous how everytime I turn on the TV I see Jay-Z, he needs to promote the artists on the label, not just himself, hip-hop don't evolve around only him, he needs to realise that, he don't own hip-hop, btw LL's been through his share of controversey too, that's basically how him and 50 are similar, obviously he wants to be that way again, and well if this makes him create a classic I'm all for it what can I say... I really think this is something that could be resolved behind closed doors but if this is something that could give LL an extra motivation on his album then by all means he should just bust some shots to the dome, how do you know maybe LL wanted to talk to Jay-Z but Jay-Z was too busy to talk to him? This is why probably that's why LL's making these comments 'cause Jay-Z don't want to listen, we know how much of a rat Jay-Z could be, so it's time for LL to make him bite the cheese, lol, remember that Jay-Z went on vacation when he was supposed to shoot a video with DMX, which lead X to leave the label, maybe X should lend a hand in the battle too, I'd love to see that happen, "Year Of The Dog..Again" is an aggressive record, he could bring out the best of LL too, another "4,3,2,1" is needed... I think LL should just let it all out in the music and it'll be something that'll put Jigga in permanent retirement, and of course maybe if LL and 50 have a disagreement in the studio like what happened between Canibus then LL could bury him too, it's gonna be an entertaining 2007

After thinking about it for a long time I've come to the decision that a battle between LL & Jay will not happen. I think there's too much respect between the two for it to ever resort to beefing. I wouldn't want to see a battle anyway because neither rapper is not in a place mentally to really put on a great battle. LL's last great battle was with Moe Dee(Cannibus doesn't count because LL put him to sleep rather quickly) while Jay's last battle was Nas(don't even talk to me about Dipset; that's not a battle - it's Jay basically toying with them).

A major mistake is being done by LL. Besides the fact that he's selling out in a way... artists under 50 haven't had any success since the G-unit-era.

Banks flopped.

Yayo flopped.

Spyder Loc got pushed back.

Olivia got pushed back.

Mobb Deep flopped.

Buck is prolly goin to flop..

Well Canibus mentioned something in "Second Round Knockout" about LL and Jay-Z having some tension, they were never really close homies I don't believe but they do got respect for each other musically, really I think it's like the DMX/Jay-Z situation, LL's probably gonna just leave the label, it's probably the best thing for him at this point, Jay-Z got a big ego, he's not gonna promote any great rapper on the same level as him as much as he promotes himself... Now you can't compare Diddy's promotion to LL's promotion, most people don't really consider Diddy an artist, he hasn't had a hit album in almost 10 years, he was basically selling a lot off the hype of Biggie's death, I remember having debates with kids in my school when that album dropped and I told them that Puffy won't be around much longer after the hype of Biggie's death dies down and I was right, that album sold like 8 million 'cause he was Biggie's homie but then "Forever" came out the next year and that didn't go platinum and neither did any of his other albums since then, and plus the fact that everyone in the world knows that he don't write his own raps, and basically he's more of a buisinessman than a rap artist, if his wasn't a smart buisinessman he wouldn't have a career, I give him credit for that, can't knock his hustle, but I could knock his music, lol,but LL's known for having the most consecutive rap albums go platinum so when he don't go platinum it's like Cal Ripken sitting out a game, and now there's no way Young Jeezy is the next Slick Rick

LL's better off leaving Def Scam 'cause it's garbage now, it ain't worth staying there the way it is, Jay-Z'll promote C-Rated rappers and r&b singers but no A rated rappers besides himself, if LL and Jay-Z came out in the same quarter Jay-Z'd promote himself much more than LL, if he promotes Nas as much as himself I'll consider it a miracle, which ain't happening, less than 3 weeks and there's no videos? There was advertisements all the time on TV6 weeks in advance for Jay-Z album, Nas should've stayed on Columbia, I think they gave him better promo, "Made You Look" and "I Can" were playing on MTV in heavy rotation by the time "God's Son" was on release,they don't wait till the last week to release the video for his album... Nowif LL puts out a classic album with the type of reputation he has as a respected rapper, he'll still go platinum even with G-Unit on it, if he comes up and performs I don't think he'll be stopped, unless Jay-Z tries to pay the stations not to play LL's songs, lol, and well if LL's selling out for working with G-Unit, Jay-Z sold out by signing Rick Ross and doing songs with him 'cause everyone in G-Unit is a better rapper than he is, well maybe not Tony Yayo, I'll give Ross the advantage there, lol...

Edited by bigted