JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Movie+Album=Success?

Daveydave

Yes, attaching a track to a movie causes more people to actually hear that track and will generally garner interest in that track and ultimately, the album. The drawback is that it would give the perception that Will is just another actor trying to drop a CD, and worse, in connection with his movie. Will would sell more, but the album would come into question, at least initially. With something like Lost and Found, all questions would be dismissed pretty quickly, but with something like Born 2 Reign, Will could come out looking pretty bad.

The best practice is to not use any gimicks and let the music speak for itself, unless it's a really good album like Lost and Found. In general though, Will should try to separate movies from music as much as possible.

Well I don't know hip-hop's too commercial now, basically everybody's selling out at this point so really what the hell why not, Will should just take advantage of every media connection he has to promote the albums he does that way more and more people will get to hear a legendary mc spitting rhymes, everybody in hip-hop still loves Jay-Z even though he does beer commercials, his new album might go platinum in the first week, of course everybody's shopping now for the holidays so that's why too, maybe Will should release an album around the holiday too when everybody's shopping, btw who knows maybe if "L&F" was released the same week as "Hitch" it might've went gold in the 1st week instead of taking months to go gold, that's why TI was the only platinum rapper this year until Jay-Z now, his movie and album came out together, people just ain't buying music that much anymore so that's why rappers need another way to promote besides MTV and BET now to sell records, maybe when the JJFP album drops it should drop the same week as one of FP's movies and they do a performance during the Super Bowl, that should equal multiplatinum success, lol

Edited by bigted

Yes, attaching a track to a movie causes more people to actually hear that track and will generally garner interest in that track and ultimately, the album. The drawback is that it would give the perception that Will is just another actor trying to drop a CD, and worse, in connection with his movie. Will would sell more, but the album would come into question, at least initially. With something like Lost and Found, all questions would be dismissed pretty quickly, but with something like Born 2 Reign, Will could come out looking pretty bad.

The best practice is to not use any gimicks and let the music speak for itself, unless it's a really good album like Lost and Found. In general though, Will should try to separate movies from music as much as possible.

Yea that is right!

And I also agree that it would've sold more but just as MaxFly said - let the music speak for itself! =)

Now let's wait for more great movies by Will, right now he isn't doing any album unfortunately but ok, I wasn't in the cinema for a waaaaay long time so I'll go there to watch Pursuit of Happiness! =)

I think it helps. I mean, after u see FP do his thing in a good movie, if u leave the movie theater and hear a new FP song on the radio...u are more hyped 2 get it. If u aren't a huge fan like some of us...a good movie will give u that extra push. I don't think there's really anything wrong with that...as long as there aren't track like "Black Suits Comin'" coming out regularly.

At the same time, alot of mainstream fans don't see FP as the emcee he truely is. So while those movies may help bring more fans 2 his music, i think respect 4 what he does musically is more important.

If Will wants to be in the spotlight again, this combination would work out...we have to admit that Will Eminem "beef" helped to get back attention of the people on Lost and Found...Another choice would be to sell by controversy like Kanye did, but i don`t think that it is a good choice!!! A hit soundtrack that creates hype for the upcoming is the best thing Will can to do nowadays to do big numbers! In generally i think if the album is good, people will recognize is it, no matter if a soundtrack or a beef was before it!

I disagree about Will starting a beef to sell records, the media twisted his words around when he "had something for Eminem", they do that a lot, like they're trying to twist LL's words around now to make it look like he wants to battle Jay-Z, hey if that happens to help sell more records then it's all good, as long as there's a motive behind the statement being made, Will could make strong statements in interviews that could catch people's attention but really it's hell to the nizzo for Will saying stupid things like Kanye to sell records, that's the dumbest thing I heard, watch Kanye's next album's not gonna sell that much if he keeps it up, people are sick of him now really, he's losing fans, Game talked too much before his album came out that's why he sold 380K instead of 1 million that he would've if he let the album speak for itself, it's a banger but he's such an ass right now really so he's losing fans, now the main point that I was making is that Will and Jeff help hip-hop crossover so they deserve to reap every benefit from it, have a soundtrack, movie, and super bowl concert to go along with the album is what I say, the pioneers of hip-hop deserve to sell millions again

Edited by bigted

• 4 weeks later...

Allot of people attached Switch to Hitch, and I think that didnt help the Lost & Found sales at all.

but the album and the movie had no real connection. so I don't think it's fair to tie the two. And I don't believe many people actually did attach em. It woulda been different if he had a song with that title.

but in response to the topic, I believe yes and no.

Success in moving units initially:yes.

success in over all quality of both products: no, one will inevitably fail in quality, as Will alluded to in that one song