JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will quits music?

Lerkot

I don't think he's playing a game with the fans...i think he may be tired of playing 'the game.' 'The game' of releasing music, watching the charts and the sales, promoting it, doing what he wants and trying 2 make a record label happy as well. So many albums that come out these days have the artists pushed and stressed 2 do what other people want, which makes u loose interest in your 1st love becuz u can't do it on your own terms.

L+F is a dope album and a step in the right direction. If it's his last album, it's a heck of an album 2 end on...but i don't believe it is. I actually kinda believed him when he said he waz retiring back in 1995...but not so much this time. A long period between albums seems likely tho.' It would be dope if he took the time off and then came back 2 do the next JJ+FP album.

I think we are all blowing this up more than what we should be. We'll find out soon. On a random note, i had a really crappy day...and this post waz the last thing i wanted 2 see...ha ha.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not all that upset if Will decides to retire for good. We have 9 albums to listen to and enjoy and as I've said many times before he doesn't have anything to prove. The industry is in shambles right now. There's just too much politics and not enough originality and freedom in music right now.

I think people in their 30's still check for hip-hop it's just that they're not going to accept everything that comes out. Rap is, and always will be, music for young people and unfortunately the vast majority of rap is really dumbed down.

I think AJ said it best when it comes to doing music. It's not fun anymore. It's all about the numbers, whether or not you can get on TRL. People lose their identity(if they ever had one to begin with) when they just focus on making money and worrying about sales.

If Will retires then I say at least he retired with dignity and honor in the form of Lost & Found. He never sold out to sell records and make money. He is one the best emcees to rock the mike. Period.

As I said, I dont think it is his last album, but if it is, fair play to the man. Its better to go out on top, and Lost & Found got him huge respect in the industry. As Dawg said, he has nothing left to prove in the industry. If he does retire now, he's retired gracefully and with a lot of respect.

Plus, I know we may be upset that he's possibly quitting, but really, is it necessary? Its not our life, its not our decisions, as fans we should support Will in whatever he does. I dont want him to quit music myself, but all these potshots at him since this video was shown isnt needed. Its selfish to get angry at an artist because they dont do what you want them to.

And in the video it wasnt as serious as previous times, and he's come back from them. 95 he said it and we've had 4 albums since then. I believe he said something along the same lines in 2001 period, we've had 2 albums and the Greatest Hits since then. Plus he said it with a big grin on his face and was gonna say something else before another reporter asked a question about directing. So we dont actually know the full story.

It may seem pretty bleak, but I for one, am staying positive.

See the thing is, when you love something so much, you can't quit it.

Why did michael jordan made 3 comebacks ?

Why is Jay-Z singing again when he said he wouldn't.

Because when you love something so much you can

quit for a while but after some time it'll catch your mind and body like

a virus and before you know your addicted to it and you just simply can't quit.

Well I think that Will is trying to go out with some pride and dignity, I really see too that music fans are very fickle like I said before, you don't know how you're gonna sell from one album to the next, to get people to buy albums is like pulling teeth, it's especially harder when most rap fans only like it gangsta gangsta and they look at everyone else who ain't as corny and soft and they won't check that out, it ain't like that with movies though, it seems that any movie Will puts out that it'll go #1 in the boxoffice, but it's really hard to get to #1 on the music charts, if any other rapper was making 20-30 million dollars a film would they actually even put rapping as a thought? I mean Queen Latifah hasn't released an rap album since '98 and she don't even make half of that, LL wrote in his book that he wishes that he was in Will's place, the only reason why he continues to rap now is that he ain't really expanding his acting career the way Will has but the day he does is the day that he'll stop rapping.... Basically since kids buy most of the albums they don't want to listen to somebody that's old as their father, it's sad but true, the music industry has to change, Will wants to reach more people and he could do that with movies right now, he don't get criticised for being soft when he does a movie the way that he does when he does music, the movie fans appreciates skilled artists more than the music fan does... Sure that allhiphop.com shows some love to Will but there's more discussion about who's the hardest/most gangsta rapper, I go on other hip-hop boards and it's the same ****, even so hip-hop fans get caught up in that bull**** and they spend more time talking about who got cred than the skills that a rapper has, skills ain't appreciated...

Edited by bigted

not good news...

but hey, there's still Jeff who can change his mind. You know that Jeff wants to make a JJFP comeback album, so i believe that this is going to happen sometime.

and btw, his decision of making music shouldn't depend on the state of the rap game. Love what you do and do what you love, that is all that counts. so if he wants to make music he's going to make it. who cares about all those fools and idiots out there or about the record sales?

The way I see it Will doesn't really owe most of these rap fans **** at this point, they're a bunch of sheep that don't appreciate the most talented artists, he's put out enough great music to hold over the few real fans that appreciate true skills already, if he comes back with another album one day I'll be sure to support it, the climate of the rap game has changed quite a bit from how it was 20 years ago that it might not be that much of a thrill to rap anymore, he probably growing out of it as a fan of it too like a lot his age are, back then it was a growing genre where everybody was pushing their creativity and there was excitement but right now it feels like a tired genre where the most innovative artists get slept on except for a handful, I could understand where's Will's coming from and I just hope he does something that he'll be happy about

Edited by bigted

I'm starting to think Will just hasn't got any new ideas for tracks at the mo cos its off his mind for a while. Maybe some inspiration will come to him soon, I just can't think where from. There's not many subjects he hasn't touched upon.

I'm starting to think Will just hasn't got any new ideas for tracks at the mo cos its off his mind for a while. Maybe some inspiration will come to him soon, I just can't think where from. There's not many subjects he hasn't touched upon.

Nah man I don't think that's possible to run out of ideas to rap about, that's like saying he ran out of life, I'm sure there are some things going on in his life that he might want to talk about in music, maybe he might just be doing it for himself right now

I think having 9 albums from a rapper is pretty amazing.. If lost & found was his last.. he has left us with plenty of great music.

yeah true but even if Will say ''This is the end '' i hope he is like Jay-Z and ... i dont know i just dont want to believe that's Will last album and that's it :)