JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will's State in Rap

Man, what a dark topic.

Exactly man, I don't understand why we gotta worry so much about Will's place in the rap game or when his next album's coming or if it's coming, let the man live damn it

Things have changed quite a bit since the days when Will decided to make albums with Jazzy Jeff 20 years ago, back then you really needed to have the most skills to get on but now you have to start controversey to get on, he probably sees how a lot of his ol' school rap friends struggle to sell 10,000 albums and probably doesn't want to end up like that so he figures he better go out now, but when the time's right he'll want to do it again, he probably still has some music at his crib that he's working on but he might just want to keep it for himself till the right time comes to release it, the timing has to be right, when there's rappers coming out with high skills and a creative motive then he'll be motivated, the rap game has gotten stale though, there are still some great albums out but it's just not being recognised, it just seems that a lot of people are really starting to look at rap as a gimmick since hardly any rapper's selling anymore, hopefully with all these weak rappers like G-Unit flopping the record execs will realise that they have to go after more quality artists, FP might want to get out before the rap industry goes out of buisiness, I could see that happening soon if the right artists don't get promoted

Ur absolutely right with this one but it's just a lil disappointin' and sad if Will's really stopping doin' music...! :worried:

Man, what a dark topic.

Exactly man, I don't understand why we gotta worry so much about Will's place in the rap game or when his next album's coming or if it's coming, let the man live damn it

Word...there are far more important things in life then music.

Man, what a dark topic.

Word...there are far more important things in life then music.

Of course!

But music is one of the most important ones and Will is my fav. musician, especially when it comes to real hiphop! So I'm disappointed that he probably is gonna stop makin music!

• 5 weeks later...

I've never been a big fan of him working with other people. Mostly becuz i see him working with C-level artist before working with fellow pioneers. But at this point, if FP wants some commerical success, i think he should do a few collabos with the more respectable people who have gained success. Nas finally came correct on his current album...and i could easily see FP popping up on some of the trax he turned out this time (Yo Nas, get him on a remix!). I would never wanna see him poppin' up on someone's album just cuz they are a hit on the pop charts cuz we all know there's alot of talent missin' there. But there are a few people i think he would have good chemistry with and by slightly saturating other people's albums and singles, i think it would set up his next album for the success it deserves.

• Members

I think Will needs to focus music just much as his lyrics. Cause all of his more successful ones have great music in my opinion. I think 12 or so songs people can really dance to would rock. And yeah I'm not a fan of his duets either. But doing one or two with some big names might give him a little well needed exposure as an artist.

And I think a slick music video alone can't sell a track. Party Starter is one on my favourite Will videos. But the single did not so well here in Aus. Sure there are many other factors involved I know, but I just think Will is at a state musically where he needs his next album to be a great one. And I really hope he can deliver.