JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The rest of the next gen consoles have hit the US

Schnazz

Both the PS3 and the Wii are now available in the US. Or at least they where for about 30 seconds. Around where I live they where all sold out well before the official release time.

I got a Wii and several games, Zelda, Excite Truck, and Monkey Ball. As a die hard Nintendo fan all I can say is wow, it's different, very different, and it takes some getting used to. Of those three games, and the Wii Sports, my favorite so far is definitely Excite Truck. There's something just fun about twisting your controller around in the air to drive your truck around. Monkey Ball makes really good use of the new controller, it plays basically like one would expect, tilt the controller and you tilt the world. The problem for me though is that I was never good at those tilt puzzles. Wii Sports I think is what is the most different of the games, really not like anything I've ever played. My arm got tired after playing it a while. Most of the sports where pretty natural, but it took a few before I really got the hang of it. Boxing was the most difficult for me, felt really odd at first. After a few rounds I think I started to get the hang of it, but I still don't think I really have it figured out. And Zelda, well that was basically Zelda.

Anyway, did anyone else get one of the new consoles?

The Wii would tempt me, I used to be Nintendo mad as a kid, and although i swayed towards Sony in later years i love my DS. The Wii offers something completley different to whats out there. The other 2 consoles are just gonna be PS2 standard gameplay with superb graphics, is that really worth all that money. The Wii is more of a hands on Home Arcade

Man, i haven't followed gaming since the Super Nintendo...ha ha. Even if i had tyme for it, i'm not sure if i'd be that interested. But i'm sure one of my friends will get it and i'll end up getting 2 trying it out and be depressed on how my gaming skillz have declined over the last decade.

The gaming companies know that they are gonna sell out ASAP...why don't they just push out more?!? All this sleeping on the sidewalks stuff just seems stupid 2 me.

Yeh, cos they'll get home and be too tired to play the darn thing, haha

I'm still a proud owner of a Atari 2600 (VCS), NES, SNES, Amiga, PS2 and a DS.

I don't nearly play games as much as i used to but i would never consider selling them now. I made that mistake when i was a kid selling my entire NES and SNES game collection to fund for PSone games. I look back now wishing i hadn't cos i loved them games. I've even bought the same game again in some cases.

i think its pretty stupid. people camping outside for days just to get something thats way overpriced. some people got shot waiting outside in those lines. its just stupid if you ask me. but i guess if u are rich and have nothing to do its appealing.

It is stupid, but the craze and the idea of having one before everyone else drive it. I would also assume that the ability to sell it on ebay for 500-1000% market value plays a big part for some people.

Yea. More than half the people who bought one sold it on Ebay for 3 or 4 Times the Retail value. Then you just wait another month, buy one if you want one, and some will still have more than $2000 of Profit.....Pretty crazy.

Edited by Vipa

... has anybody tried to download any of the classic games on the virtual console yet?

Yea, I got Super Mario World. They only have about 10 or so games on it right now, the original Sonic and Zelda, and the Super NES version of Sim City are the ones that looked interesting to me. They seemed over priced though... I think it was $5 - $8 for most of them with Super Mario World costing $10.

Yea. More than half the people who bought one sold it on Ebay for 3 or 4 Times the Retail value. Then you just wait another month, buy one if you want one, and some will still have more than $2000 of Profit.....Pretty crazy.

It's capitalism man, the American way. :) I don't think that many people resold their PS3's, the resales where just hyped. I think there was something like 2,000 sales of preorders, compared to the 10's of thousands of preorders out there. Right now there's about 20,000 total hits on a PS3 search on ebay, (I doubt all of which are systems) compared to the 200,000 PS3's released. I do find it funny that Friday there where many PS3's going on ebay for 3000-4000 and today they're going for around a thousand. (which is only, what, a 50% markup) The hype of the PS3 has definitely died down a lot.

i think its pretty stupid. people camping outside for days just to get something thats way overpriced. some people got shot waiting outside in those lines. its just stupid if you ask me. but i guess if u are rich and have nothing to do its appealing.

The people camping out for the PS3 really went about it the wrong way. The folks I know who got a PS3 had to wait inline for about an hour to pre-order because they checked out the places ahead of time to see where it would be easiest to get one. I didn't pre-order my Wii, but I didn't have to camp out to get one. I called around and found a couple of places that where doing a lottery system on them, my name got drawn at one of them. I did have to hang out in the break room of a store for 4 hours after they drew my name. But I took work with me so I ended up getting payed for that time waiting anyway.

I went to bed early last night so I could get up early. This of course meant I wouldn't be able to fall even half-asleep until 2am. I woke up at 5:30 and got to Target probably a few minutes before 6.

I had been checking back to see the line situation and how many units the store was getting. But I got there this morning. I said "Goodmorning!" to the 5 or 6 people in front of me. "Goodmorning!" they replied. This made my plan to listen to my iPod for 2 hours obsolete. Hurray for talking to people.

This Target was supposed to be getting 210 but when I got there, numbers as low as 150 were being thrown around. The guy in front of me counted, I was number 150.

Ok, now that you've skipped over the nonsense above, I'm going to talk about the Wii now

...well, not really. There ended up being "200." I'm guessing they got 210 but were being devious. I was number 153 and I got a Wii shirt. The sneaky bastards that are Target had a promotion of "Buy 3 games, get a free $20 gift card." So GOSH DARNIT, I ended up spending $3 short of $500 today. WAY. TOO. MUCH.

And I haven't even played it. I got home and went to bed for 3 hours. I'll be driving back to my dorm soon. Then I'll finally get to play the thing that obviously worth all this time.

All this and I don't even play video games that much.

God Blessa!

It is stupid, but the craze and the idea of having one before everyone else drive it. I would also assume that the ability to sell it on ebay for 500-1000% market value plays a big part for some people.

remember the Furby craze??

I'm personally waiting for the prices to go down and more games to come out. But I really don't care about videogames that much anymore. I'm becoming a more and more casual player. I'm not as serious as before.