JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Derek Luke on Will Smith

Hero1

• Admin

from coming soon..

CS: I was talking to a colleague and the Oscar buzz seems to be about you, Forest Whitaker and Will Smith. If that happens, there would be three African-American actors in the leading male race. At this point, would that be a big deal, especially after Denzel and Halle proved that race wasn't an issue at the Oscars anymore?

Luke: You know, I heard people talk about it. What is most amazing is the fact that we've grown as a nation. I'm from Jersey, I'm from the inner city and the 'hood. Most people say to me, "Acting is not a choice to me. The only thing I can do is this and that." I think the story about Patrick is that anger and internal pain can really handicap you. My point is that this whole thing, Will and these guys, my Oscar buzz is more on the street. It's more the reward that people say, "You've done this." On the other hand, Forest Whitaker and Will Smith were always role models to me. Will Smith is not just a black superstar. His star is above most people. So is Denzel Washington, so is Chris Tucker, Eddie Murphy, they reach a point where it's colorless, and Forest Whitaker is a three-dimensional man--directing, acting, producing.

I'm pleased Will is getting more oscar buzz.... but really how can this guy think that Chris Tucker is on Will's level or even above most people.

I'm pleased Will is getting more oscar buzz.... but really how can this guy think that Chris Tucker is on Will's level or even above most people.

I thought he was going to name Ice Cube there for a second. I guess Chris Tucker is one of his favorite or preferred actors.