JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Does Will Like/Listen to Gangsta/Hardcore Hip Hop?

bart5

With the artists out today, I've lost all knowledge of what gangsta rap is. So I'd say if your going back to where real gangsta started, Will does like what that was. But if you look at the commercial new skool side of gangsta, I'd say no. It depends from which aspect you are viewing gangsta rap as.

Edited by Big Willie

I remember reading Chuck D saying in an interview that the problem in the music industry is that some artists forget about what they do with their music once they get paid a lot, the fame gets to their head and they have no vision in what they want to do with their music, sorta like athletes that get fat on their multi million dollar deals instead of playing hard like they used to before they got the big payday, that's a problem right there, having a bunch of yes men around them really causes them to slack, record labels build them up as superheros then slowly their careers self-destruct, only the strong minded individuals like Chuck D and FP could handle it over a long period of time

Edited by bigted

2Pac isn't a gangsta rapper. Listen 2 his lyrics. I would consider him a street poet and versitile artist. He did political Hip-Hop, hardcore Hip-Hop, true school Hip-Hop, party jams, everything. Only his time on Deathrow really showed the unbalanced 'Pac who dedicated alot of his lyrics 2 over-the-top street stuff. On top of that, 2Pac and FP were actually cool. FP does like the early 90's harcore hip-hop and g-funk...but there waz actually some brains involved in that. He respect Dre's and Snoop's stuff. U gotta remember that Ice Cube mixes hardcore Hip-Hop with political Hip-Hop. Dr. Dre's stuff mixed classic P-funk with hardcore Hip-Hop, and Snoop's music is an extention of Dre's style. While i don't like cussing and over the top thugged out stories, alot of that music kept my attention. What is considered "gangsta rap" now is just a joke. No classic samples, introspective political views behind the lyrics. In fact, usually there isn't any redeemable quality 2 the music. I'm not totally overlooking some of the talented artists like Snoop...cuz he's guilty of that from time 2 time 2. Back then, FP actually listened 2 that stuff along with true school Hip-Hop. He stated that in interviews.

As Mr. Nice Guy/Team Player, FP supports everyone...but listen 2 "Lost + Found"...need i say more?!?

:interesting: I agree a lot with what AJ and Ted said. I think that I have a better understanding now on this topic and old school hardcore hip hop. Thanks for all the insite.

Edited by bart5

2Pac isn't a gangsta rapper. Listen 2 his lyrics. I would consider him a street poet and versitile artist. He did political Hip-Hop, hardcore Hip-Hop, true school Hip-Hop, party jams, everything. Only his time on Deathrow really showed the unbalanced 'Pac who dedicated alot of his lyrics 2 over-the-top street stuff. On top of that, 2Pac and FP were actually cool. FP does like the early 90's harcore hip-hop and g-funk...but there waz actually some brains involved in that. He respect Dre's and Snoop's stuff. U gotta remember that Ice Cube mixes hardcore Hip-Hop with political Hip-Hop. Dr. Dre's stuff mixed classic P-funk with hardcore Hip-Hop, and Snoop's music is an extention of Dre's style. While i don't like cussing and over the top thugged out stories, alot of that music kept my attention. What is considered "gangsta rap" now is just a joke. No classic samples, introspective political views behind the lyrics. In fact, usually there isn't any redeemable quality 2 the music. I'm not totally overlooking some of the talented artists like Snoop...cuz he's guilty of that from time 2 time 2. Back then, FP actually listened 2 that stuff along with true school Hip-Hop. He stated that in interviews.

As Mr. Nice Guy/Team Player, FP supports everyone...but listen 2 "Lost + Found"...need i say more?!?

:interesting: I agree a lot with what AJ and Ted said. I think that I have a better understanding now on this topic and old school hardcore hip hop. Thanks for all the insite.

Hey man anytime that's what we're here for, btw I found this quote from LL Cool J in an interview from the year 2000 where he gives his thoughts on gangsta rap, he even puts a FP reference, maybe he seemed to misunderstood's FP's statement 'cause FP feels the same way:

LAUNCH:

People don't receive violent lyrics in hip-hop the way they're intended. Do you agree with that statement?

LL COOL J:

It's not because people hate on hip-hop, it's 'cause you're talking about how you flip pies and kick doors and smack people with pistols, and then you put a spin on it and say you're exposing it to the world--that's not really what you're doing. What you're doing is making Goodfellas, the movie. You're making The Godfather, the movie. You're entertaining people with violence and drama and danger. The song "Homicide" I just described is what it is. I'm exposing it. I don't ever want to get out here and promote any kind of hate. And I don't want to promote any kind of separatism. I ain't into that. I think people should be [judged] based on their actions and on how they treat others. And with hip-hop, I think everybody's different. I think that it's important to remember there is room for messages in hip-hop, and there's room for messages in Hollywood, too. I'm in films, and I'm in Hollywood, but in society, perception is everything. There are so many double standards. You take a film like Goodfellas--Joe Pesci, I love him as an actor, but they take a guy, pistol-whip him with a gun until the gun breaks on his face, wrap him up in a sheet, throw him a trunk, stab him, up and bury him. You put that in a rap song, it's horrible. Nobody wants to deal with it, like it's not happening, or "How could you say something like that?" I have two versions of my album. One has profanity, one doesn't. Is it entertainment? Yes, but there's social commentary in there as well, and then there's a clean version for younger kids. Everybody's not the same. Some people like Barney, and some people like to watch Scarface. We all have a different way of expressing ourselves. That doesn't make you a better or worse human being. We all have a role to play, and if we did the same thing, then we would all be a bunch of robots. So when I listen to Will Smith and he says that gangsta rap is wack--you know, I'm not a gangsta rapper, but I don't agree with him that gangsta rap is wack, I just think that he has a different way of expressing himself. Now if you tell me it's not appropriate for kids, then I tell you [you're] right. Gangsta rap is for a certain age, you know what I'm saying? I just think that we need to be free to express ourselves as artists.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree 100%. And I also believe that artists are forced to go the route of fibery (root word - "fib", as in lie) in order to promote their records. Why I say this? Because I want to get in the rap music industry as well. There's a problem: experiences. In order for a rapper to be considered "big," the audience needs to discover the real you. If you're a rapper who loves to pimp, pistol-whip, pop pills on a daily basis, you gotta answer "why." What got you into doing the negative and why you couldn't stop doing it. If you just mention it, you're just trying to milk money.

Now look at me. What experiences do I have?

I'm a cartoon-loving pacifist who has serious family issues with my mother, father and sister. I'm also a leecher, one who asks for money instead of making his own by applying for a decent job because I'm afraid of being bossed. And, because I was never taught to defend myself, I'm physically and spiritually unable to fight. Ever since my sister knocked the mirror in my head when I was a baby, I've been pretty much a momma's boy. Quadruple that, I'm a Mexican-American, so I'm instantly labelled a Chicano. But I'm not tatooed, bald-headed or goateed. I got love for all kinds of music - Rap, Rock, R&B, Reggaeton, Latin Hip Hop, Chicano Rap, J-Pop and other genres you'd find impossible to believe.

Would a record label be interested in that kind of artist? In an image perspective: hell no.

Unless, of course, you crossover...

Well, I figure that he mentions Biggie and Pac because they are a part of rap music and did die tragically.

Will would listen to other kinds of music. Usually when your life is in a certain type of music you will tend to listen to other genres with your free time. You'd be suprised how many rockers (actual musicians, I mean) will listen to a lot of rap, and how many rappers will listen to rock music.

That's true!

I think Will listens to many kinds of music and he also likes and listens to gangsta rap.

But of course I'm not sure on this one...

Only one thing is for sure - he liked 2Pac and BIG and people like them because he feels for them and he just liked them as human beings, their characters and all that, I think y'all know what I mean...! =)