JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

‘VH1’S HIP HOP HONORS’

VH1’S HIP HOP HONORS’ AIRS TONIGHT: Honorees include Cube, Wu Tang, Lyte, Rakim, Bambaataa, Simmons, Beastie Boys and Eazy E.

*Hip Hop’s finest came together last October 7th to honor a new class of legendary emcees for the third annual VH1 Hip Hop Honors. The ceremony, saluting Ice Cube, Wu-Tang Clan, MC Lyte, Rakim, Afrika Bambaataa, Russell Simmons, Beastie Boys and Eazy E, premieres on the network tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

Hosted by Ice T, the evening at New York’s Hammerstein Ballroom salutes the music and influence of each of the honorees through performances by classic artists in collaboration with today's hottest new talent.

To honor the Beastie Boys, Diddy, Fabolous and Q-Tip rocked the trio’s "Hold It Now, Hit It" and "Paul Revere" in full old-school regalia, including Adidas track suits. Then, the Beastie Boys jumped on stage to perform "So What'cha Want."

Actress Regina King took the stage afterwards to introduce MC Lyte. The “Ray” star surprised the entire house by spitting a verse from Lyte's "10 % Dis." Lil Kim, for the first time in more than a year, took the stage in a designer track suit with "one leg up" and big doorknocker earrings. She was joined by Remy Ma and Da Brat for a medley of "Cha Cha Cha," "Kickin' 4 Brooklyn" and "Lyte as a Rock." Lyte closed her set with a performance of "Paper Thin" and "Ruffneck."

Talib Kweli was joined by Black Thought in honoring one of the greatest and most influential rappers in hip hop history, Rakim, with "Paid in Full." Rakim moved the crowd with a performance of his hit song "I Ain't No Joke."

Following his performance, Xzibit, WC and Lil Jon took it to the Wessyde to honor Ice Cube with a medley of "It Was A Good Day" and "Why We Thugs." Cube followed with a performance of his new song, "Go To Church."

Diddy, Def Poetry Jam's Black Ice, DJ Lovebug Starkski and DJ Kid Capri gave a well-deserved tribute to one-man conglomerate, Russell Simmons, noting his contributions to the industry and all aspects of the culture.

Lil Eazy-E, along with Young Jeezy and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, honored his father, the late Eazy E with a medley of "Crossroads," "We Want Eazy" and "Boyz-N-The-Hood."

Erykah Badu appeared in full African garb to perform "Zulu War Chant" and "One Nation Under a Grove" alongside Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Fat Joe and Q Tip in a tribute to Afrika Bambaataa.

And finally, Emmy Award winner Forest Whitaker graced the stage to introduce the last honoree of the night -- Wu-Tang Clan. The group’s Method Man, RZA, GZA, Raekwon, Inspectah Deck, U God, Masta Killa and Cappadonna all came together to sing "C.R.E.A.M." and "Triumph," which brought the show to a fitting close.

Select video footage from "VH1 Hip Hop Honors" will also be available on VH1 Mobile following the on-air broadcast.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Bulletin from Erykah Badu on myspace

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

It was a good show. I liked the new song Rakim performed. Sounded great. Wu-Tang was awesome, I can understand your anticipation Turntable. I was surprised to see Diddy rockin' a Beastie Boys song. He actually sounded better than his own raps. Even tho Ice Cube did his new material, I think his performance was the best of the night. Between him, MC Lyte, and Wu Tang.

I was switchin' back and forth between watching that and the Mets game last night, I'm gonna check the re-run to see the full performances, I liked a lot of what I saw, btw I saw a commercial on VH1 about Ice-T hosting a reality series "Rap School" I believe it's called, I'm sure to be checking that out....

Edited by bigted

Yeah, the show waz dope. Of every award styled show, this is the one i look forward 2 every year. I think this may have been the weakest of all the shows...but that isn't a bad thing, it waz still good. I actually didn't like the Beastie Boys tribute that much, it just seemed kinda under rehearsed. While more than half of the tribute performances were good....ALL of the artists who were being honored ROCKED it. Rakim showed us while most arists these days need to follow the leader. His new song waz ill. MC Lyte rocked it 2. I think Da Brat repped female emcees to the fullest...however, i could have done with Lil' Kim and Remy Ma. They didn't deserve 2 be on that stage. Why waz Yo Yo and Salt-N-Pepa there and NOT on the stage alongside her instead. Ice Cube also reclaimed his crown. I also liked the Eazy-E tribute. So many people, including alot of people on this board, underestimate him and it waz about time he get a tribute. Same with Afrika Bambada...he's so overlooked these days. Black Thought, Talib Kweli, and Q-Tip did what they do best...just rock the mic. But what waz up with Q-Tip's 1989 haircut?!?

The show waz dope...if u missed it, catch the reruns!!

It was a nice show! It really gave Hip Hop a sense of importance, especially with honoring behind-the-scenes type cats like Russell Simmons and Afrika Bambaataa. It wasn't as good as last year's (BDK's performance is still rockin in my memory), but excellent nonetheless.

Maybe this can be a new thread, but I'm gonna speculate on who should be honored next year:

Tribe or De La Soul (most likely, the Tribe)

Gang Starr

Snoop Dogg or Dr. Dre (maybe both)

Kurtis Blow

Kool Moe Dee or Treacherous Three

Too Short (perhaps)

Common

Freestyle Fellowship

JJFP perhaps

Brand Nubian

The Roots will be honored within the next 3 years

Queen Latifah

Edited by Hymn Strings

They need to do this more than once a year, it's gonna take 25 years to honor everyone that deserves to be, btw here's everyone that should be honored next year to me :

JJFP mandatory, we should start a petition if they don't get in next year, lol

Kool G Rap

Kurtis Blow

Slick Rick

Heavy D and The Boyz

Queen Latifah

Naughty By Nature

"House Party" movie being honored

Scott LaRock tribute

Edited by bigted

Come on you guys. Look at where Hip Hop has been heading. We need to take in slow in honoring. If we do it too fast, we'll run out of people to honor. VH1 has done a fairly good job as to explaining why someone has been honored in each show. You've got to think about who's really set the milestones for Hip Hop as a whole.