& these selected shops

Black Market: 25 D’Arblay Street, Soho, London, W1 0207-437-0478

CD City: 42 Berwick St, London W1 0207-287-2272

Clerkenwell Music: 27 Exmouth Market, London EC1 0207-241-6611

Deal Real: 3 Marlborough Court, London, W1 0207-287-7245

Disque: 11 Chapel Market, Islington, London N1 0207-833-1104

Honest Johns: 276 Portobelllo Road, London W10 0208-969-9822

Small Fish: 329 Old Street, London E1 0207-739-2252

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Saturday 30th September we celebrate BBE Records tenth anniversary and have put together an incredible line-up of talent to represent the full spectrum of musical diversity for which the label is known and loved.

In 1996 ‘Barely Breaking Even’ founders Peter Adarkwah and Ben Jolly, having promoted and DJ’d clubs collectively under the name for two years, decided to kick-start a record label. Their first release, the compilation ‘Stop And Listen Volume One’, was the start of something special.

A decade on and Barely Breaking Even Records have surpassed all expectations. Not only do the compilations go from strength to strength but an outstanding collection of original production is also under their belt. Artists, producers, DJs that have contributed their vast knowledge and technical skill have included: Masters At Work, J Dilla, Keb Darge, Roy Ayers, Osunlade, Questlove, DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Spinna, Dimitri from Paris, Joey Negro, Will.i.am…and many, many more.

A collective passion for sharing soulful dance music has been the core element in bringing all these people together. The 70 plus releases and the effort behind them all is testament to the dedication to the cause of this collection of talent and this party is the chance to once more share the music with more like minded music lovers.

In Order to mark this considerable milestone several of the artists BBE have had the pleasure of working with over the past 10 years have been hand picked to mark the occasion with what is to be a phenomenal party. With 3 rooms dedicated to one of the many styles of music the label has championed there will be something for all true music lovers.

“The Kings of Hip-Hop” take up room one will the Philly phenomenon DJ Jazzy Jeff leading the way in supporting the label that played no small part it his re-emergence on the international scene through the release of his album “The Magnificent” & his compilation “Hip-Hop Forever II”. He is supported by the UK legend that is Mr Thing, who gave BBE his knowledge and skills for “The Kings of Hip-Hop”, London’s finest DJ Spin Doctor & DJ Styles.

“The Kings of Soul” are represented in fine fashion by none other than Norman Jay (MBE) & Giles Peterson. Having both worked for the label on “The Kings of Soul” & The Kings of Jazz” compilations respectively you would be hard pushed to find 2 men who know more about moving dance-floors to the sounds of original Black American music so expect a storm. They will also be joined here by the man behind BBE associated label R2, Kyri for more floor fillers.

“The Kings of House” are an essential element to the BBE output and tonight they are represented by 2 of the finest names in the game. Demitri from Paris (“The Kings of Disco” & “Disco Forever”) will be playing a solid 5 hour set of the Disco infused house for which he has become legendary. Representing this side of the channel is the incomparable Jeremy Newall. A stalwart of the UK scene whose ear for Disco & Deep House gold have seen him remix several tracks over the years for the label. Also flexing his muscles behind the decks will be the the musical muscle behind the label, it’s founder and driving force Pete Adarkwah.

If the love for this phenomenal label and it’s incredibly high standard of output was ever under any doubt just check these quotes from some of the most influential people in the business for what it really means to so many…

Quite certainly the heaviest and most consistent UK label bringing in and sharing top level black american music from the likes of Jay Dee and Jazzy Jeff all the way to Luisito and Victor Duplaix. Also essential are all the comps - I always grab 2! A major influence to my radio show - not sure what I'd do without BBE. Gilles Peterson In my 20 something years in the music business I have had my shares of up's & downs. Mainly because most of the major record companies have lost the integrity of real music and have replaced it with what ever makes a dollor. Thank god for bbe! For the past 10 years bbe records have put out some of the best albums from some of the best producers and djs in the world...thank you bbe and especially pete for keeping real music alive & thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. Dj Jazzy Jeff

Bbe(barely breaking even). What's can I say? Shoud be called Be Breakin music. A label that took chances to put out pure Soul music whether it was r&b, house , hip-hop, funk comps, disco to name a few. It was a home for a person like me who’s into so many different styles that I can do what i wanted. Best of luck for the next 10. Kenny Dope (Masters At Work)

Barely Breaking Even could very well be the best label in the last ten years to honor the spirit of great music from across the board. From House, Deep Funk, Latin and Jazz to Hip hop, Disco and Soul BBE has become a permanent fixture in the hearts of music lovers worldwide. DJ Spinna

It's hard to find record labels with a positive outlook and passion these days, Pete and the BBE cru have that passion. It's been great working with them. Marc Mac 4hero/Visioneers (June 2006) Consistently innovative, reliably providing Quality Music. Stefan Prescott (Dancetracks NYC)

:word: You're so lucky, Just hopes thet Jazzy will come to Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Germany soon, and where you don't have to be 18 to get in so I can go see him!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...