JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead

mfuqua23

Source: forum.thugz-network.com

1. Intro - (N. Jones, C. Martin)

2. The Death - (N. Jones, S. Storch, S. Holman, A. Griffith)

3. War for Zion feat. Damien Marley - (N. Jones, D. Marley, L. Lewis)

4. Yes Yes Y'all - (N. Jones, S. Gibbs)

5. North by Northwest feat. The Game - (N. Jones, J. Taylor, A. Young)

6. Got it Back Like That feat. Michael Jackson - (N. Jones, M. Jackson, R. Hampford, T. Peter, T. Mosley)

7. The Golden Child (N. Jones, C. Martin, H. Ribald)

8. Polo and Guess feat. Jay-Z - (N. Jones, S. Carter, K. West)

9. U.B.K (Unauthorized Biography of KRS-One) - (N. Jones)

10. Just Love It feat. Kelis - (N. Jones, K. Rogers, J. Smith)

11. World's Greatest feat. Pharrell - (N. Jones, P. Williams, C. Hugo)

12. Gods and Earths feat. Rakim - (N. Jones, W. Griffin, C. Martin)

13. We Brave feat. The Bravehearts - (N. Jones, J. Jones, N. Jones, L. Lewis)

14. Sekou Selassie - (N. Jones, S. Jones, L. Lewis)

15. Hip-Hop is Dead - (N. Jones, W. Adams)

16. Kill that Noise feat. Busta Rhymes - (N. Jones, T. Smith, S. Storch)

17. The "N"... - (N. Jones, A. Young, B. Jordan, L. Lewis)

18. Ann Jones - (N. Jones, S. Gibbs)

19. BONUS TRACK: What Y'all Want - (N. Jones, S. Gibbs)

Title: Hip Hop Is Dead... The "N"

Artist: Nas

Original release year: 2006

Label: Sony/Def Jam/Ill Will

Guest Artists: Bravehearts; Jay-Z; Rakim; Kelis; Damien Marley; Pharrell; Busta Rhymes; Michael Jackson

Stereo: Stereo

Studio/Live: Studio

Pieces in Set: 1

Catalog#: 108773-2006

Desc: Performer

Additional Notes: Top

Personnel includes: Bravehearts; Jay-Z; Rakim; Kelis; Damien Marley; Pharrell; Busta Rhymes; The Game

Producers include: Timbaland, The Neptunes, Will.i.am, Dr. Dre, Scott Storch, Saalam Remi, overhyped rapper #1, Just Blaze, DJ Premier, Nas, L.E.S.

Engineers include: Eddie Sancho, John Crouse, Steve Souder, Ray Adler

Unlike its predecessor STREET'S DISCIPLE, HIP HOP IS DEAD harkens back to Nas' commercial pop-crossover albums as well as the poetic glory days of ILLMATIC. The New York hip-hop legend returns to the thoughtful, introspective philosophy that turned heads early in his recording career (with a little help from rap legend Rakim, the ever rambunctious Busta Rhymes, and former foe Jay-Z). Indeed there are some attempts at fancy, hook-laden production (thanks to Pharrell, Kelis and a newly invigorated Michael Jackson)--but most of the tracks go out of their way to be workaday, subservient frameworks to the lyrics. Sampling records (Louis Armstrong's "The Skokiaan", The Doors "Hello I Love You") that have never been used by other rappers, Nas makes it clear that his focus here is not only on the message but also on the sound. Lyrically, Nas addresses weighty topics as mortality, true love, religion, politics, family, personal responsibility and, of course, the currently “deceased” state of hip-hop. Those themes might seem far from the thug-life reveries of many of his contemporaries, but for Nas it's business as usual. Ironically the record proves that rap music is far from dead.

I think everybody forgets Michael Jackson phenomeon in music. A lot like R. Kelly. These aren't personal favs of mine, but they can throw donw some nice stuff. I'm glad Nas kept his word about the KRS bio track. Plus, he's gonna help Rakim get a buzz towards his new album if he gets movin'. Maybe we'll finally hear a UBR remix with Rakim. And I like the fact that none of Nas's features are out of wack. There's some type of connection for each song. This album just might be better than Street's Disciple. It's certainly gonna be a nice follow up.

I said what I said caus I was suprised that Michael is singing again, not caus I dont like him. I love him. Michael Jackson is a genious and so is R. Kelly. There is no need to discus that Michael probably is one of the biggest musicias in history. And R. Kelly himself: Dude is a genious. He writes everything, he produces everything and on top of it he does the same thing all the time for other artists. And it`s allways with hart in it. And he managed to keep himself on top for over 12 years, caus he`s almost every year in the Charts with either a own song or as a Feature. I think he`s a great musician, people sleep on what he actauly does. The King of R&B.

On Nas`s Album: I`m realy looking forward to the song with MJ. It sounds amazin to me, to have Michael back on the Mic. Its very suprsing tho. I thought he was gonna record again, but not something like this. I`m alos looking out for that track with Rakim, caus that should be dope. And the track with Jigga.. Thats history in the making. And I`m also looking forward to the song with The Game.

I'd like 2 hear this new album. My interest in Nas hasn't been 2 strong in awhile but i do wanna peep it...even if i HATE the title of it. The MJ song is my main interest tho.' The review of it is very contradicting tho'...they compare it 2 Illmatic (unquestionably his best album) and his late 90's crossover commerical days (his wackest stuff ever). Those 2 styles can't coexist...unless he's not going 4 a consistent album. Since it's touching on mortality, true love, religion, personal responsibility and, of course, the currently “deceased” state of hip-hop, i'm definitly interested in those lyrical trax. I got Street Disciple cuz i found it at a good price...and i probably only liked 10 trax off the whole double disc. Most of the album just didn't keep my interest.

I agree with AJ that this album's gonna suck if he goes back to doing pop songs like he did in the late '90s, hopfully it's more like "Illmatic/Stillmatic/God's Son", I'm looking forward to the collabswith Michael Jackson and Rakim...

Yeah I don't know if this is true either, mixing "Illmatic" type styleswith "Nastradamous" type styles is a recipe for disaster and it's too good to be true that MJ's gonna be on there, there's been a lot of talk about Rakim being on there though