JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith and Johnny Depp!

Radewart

This should go in the current "I Am Legend" topic, but if true it needs its own thread!!!

link: http://www.blackfilm.com/20060623/features...egendnews.shtml

I AM LEGEND News

Rumor has it that Johnny Depp has joined the Will Smith vehicle

June 30, 2006

When Will Smith was cast as the lead in the long-awaited adapted film version of Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND, it was probably the worst kept secret. After all, his name had been floating around the web for the longest time. Until certain outlets that folks feel are the bible of information put the word out to confirm our story, sources tell blackfilm.com that along with Smith, JOHNNY DEPP has been added to the cast. No telling which role Depp will play, but given his penchant for playing extraordinary weird-like characters, expect a juicy plum part, like the neighbor, now one of the living dead.

Set in Los Angeles after a biological war, the film centers on the sole healthy survivor, a man who finds himself in a battle against nocturnal mutants.

Based on the novel by Richard Matheson, the film will be written by Mark Protosevich. Constantine director Francis Lawrence will helm the film with David Heyman, Akiva Goldsman, Neal Moritz and Erwin Stoff serving as producers.

Matheson's book was adapted twice before. Vincent Price starred in "The Last Man on Earth" and Charlton Heston toplined "The Omega Man".

Shooting will begin in New York at the end of September. Warner Bros. will distribute the film.

That would be so awesome!!

Edited by Radewart

If this is true, this is really good news! I really like Jonny Depp.

And if he's in it, I think really more people will see the movie and discover will's talent in acting!

Guest Guest

My dream has come true! My two favortie actors could possibly be in a movie together!

I've heard Johnny also had a project that had a director drop out recently. Therefore, he doesn't have a movie lined up to shoot since the movie he was supposed to work on has been pushed back.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15221

Depp Joining Smith in I Am Legend

Source: BlackFilm.com

June 30, 2006

BlackFilm.com reports that "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise star Johnny Depp will join Will Smith in Warner Bros.' I Am Legend, for director Francis Lawrence (Constantine):

When Will Smith was cast as the lead in the long-awaited adapted film version of Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND, it was probably the worst kept secret. After all, his name had been floating around the web for the longest time. Until certain outlets that folks feel are the bible of information put the word out to confirm our story, sources tell blackfilm.com that along with Smith, JOHNNY DEPP has been added to the cast.

Depp may be playing Ben Cortman, who is Robert Neville's (Smith) neighbor in the film and the first to get infected, becoming the head vampire.

In Richard Matheson's book, Neville is the last living man on Earth... but he is not alone. Every other man, woman, and child has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood. By day, he is the hunter, stalking the sleeping undead through the abandoned ruins of civilization. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn.

The site says filming starts this September.

Edited by Typhoon20

• Admin

Blackfilm.com better be right on this!!! The news is all over the internet. If turns out to be false, they'll be alot of pissed off people!

well blackfilm.com isnt the most reliable.. So until johnny depp says it himself im gonna be cautiously optimistic

• Admin

UPDATE: JoBlo has learned that Depp will actually be playing a fellow survivor that Smith's character finds named Philip. The site says that Cortman has been taken out of the story completely. Akiva Goldsman's rewrite apparently has the monsters unable to speak and they are more primal and unintelligent.

from comingsoon.net

UPDATE: JoBlo has learned that Depp will actually be playing a fellow survivor that Smith's character finds named Philip. The site says that Cortman has been taken out of the story completely. Akiva Goldsman's rewrite apparently has the monsters unable to speak and they are more primal and unintelligent.

from comingsoon.net

If that's true..then I'm pissed(along with thousands of other fans of the book)...Will, I supported you and defended your casting, so if you visit this site at all: Don't change or let them change the book. "Cortman" is a big part of the book! He can't be removed! Another survivor! The books called "I Am Legend" not "We are Legend". It was okay to change "I, Robot", you can't make a understandable narrative movie out of that book, but stay faithful to this one. Or don't make it at all!

(I don't like sounding like a whiny fanboy or crazed fan, but I had to get it off my chest).

Edited by Radewart