JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Who will have the most longevity? Will Smith or LL Cool J

mmm i forgot about cheesecake!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a tough call. LL is making albums more consistantly, but i could see Will putting a rap album out in 10 years, and LL might be retired, but LL will have put out more albums than Will would've because of Will's acting. if we're including acting, i think Will wll last longer, he could act forever.

overall career it has to be Will, I don't see LL going as far as Will has in acting

Yeah that's true that Will gets more recognition as an actor than LL does but LL gets more recognition as a rapper than Will does, whenever there's all time rapper lists he's always ranked higher than Will, I think LL could put down the mic for a couple years and focus on his films to get higher face value on his films if he wanted to, in fact he signed a 9 film deal so he might be trying to get more serious as an actor, I don't think he has much to prove as a rapper anymore, while Will should stop doing films for a few years and drop some albums with Jazzy to get his hip-hop rating up and with "Lost and Found" you could hear that Will intends that he has something to prove as a rapper, I think they're both great entertainers that'll be around as long as they want to be, if they put work into something they achieve it...

Edited by bigted

overall career it has to be Will, I don't see LL going as far as Will has in acting

Yeah that's true that Will gets more recognition as an actor than LL does but LL gets more recognition as a rapper than Will does, whenever there's all time rapper lists he's always ranked higher than Will, I think LL could put down the mic for a couple years and focus on his films to get higher face value on his films if he wanted to, in fact he signed a 9 film deal so he might be trying to get more serious as an actor, I don't think he has much to prove as a rapper anymore, while Will should stop doing films for a few years and drop some albums with Jazzy to get his hip-hop rating up, I think they're both great entertainers that'll be around as long as they want to be...

Amen

I think if Will keeps on doing more movies than albums he'll never get the recognition as a rapper that he claimed that he wanted, LL really only put out 2 more albums than Will, he didn't really do that much more than Will but it seems that he's always doing something hip-hop oriented all the time, LL's not really that worried about where he's ranked anymore, before the time when he was battling Canibus he was considering being more serious as an actor but he put that to the side to protect his rep as an mc to battle Bis("n***s are saying LL fell, wellet me do this album, tell Spielberg I said chill"), now that's something I wished Will did when he was dissed by Eminem, he could've end Em and his teenybopper fanbase right there, he had the power to do it since he was still a multiplatinum rapper, now it makes me sick that Eminem's greatest hits album outsold "Lost and Found" where it could've been to the point where he wouldn't even release a greatest hits album if Will got in the studio with Jazzy in 2000 and dropped some ether on that punk, Eminem would've been a nobody like Canibus, and if LL never responded to Canibus I bet that Canibus would of blown up and LL would be in the same position as Will, he probably would just do films and his legacy as a rapper would be tainted, people think that Eminem ended Will's rap career with "Real Slim Shady" and sure you could say it wasn't really a diss but I could bet my life that LL would respond right away if Eminem said: "LL don't have to curse to sell records, Well I do so f** him" especially since he responded to MC Hammer's one line in "Let's Get It Started" that was less offensive(When it comes to straight up rockin', I'm second to none, From Doug E. Fresh, to LL, to DJ Run), LL doesn't let rappers diss him any way and get away with it, the most legendary mcs always defend themselves in a battle, if Eminem said "f*** Rakim" Rakim would respond, if Eminem said "F*** KRS" KRS would respond, Will lost some credability as a rapper by not responding, and LL'd make sure that he'd release "Tell Me Why" if he was in Will's position, he releases the best songs on his albums for the most part, LL simply puts more effort into his career and it's a no brainer to why he don't have to have sleepless nights worrying about his position in the rap game, Will basically is ending his own rap career by choosing to do more films rather than solidifying his mc status...

Now I think it's at the point where it might be too late for Will as a rapper, Will spent his prime years where he could've solidified himself as an mc when he was on top with "Big Willie Style" and "Willenium" to do more films where instead he did "Ali" which got him critical acclaim as an actor, and now Will's so big as an actor that his rap career don't hold much weight compared to it, whereI think it's at that point where LL could do no wrong as a rapper since nobody disses him anymore, he could throw up on record and still be ranked as a legendary mc,who knows how long he'll keep going as a rapper, basically doing movies would be something where he'd be more competitive since the odds are stacked against him being a household actor but I think he could be if he puts the energy into it as he's done as a rapper, he did a nice job with Queen Latifah in "Last Holiday", now Queen Latifah's even in a worse situation than Will, she hasn't released a rap album in 8 years and it doesn't look it's gonna happen anytime soon...

Edited by bigted

Well the way it's looking right now LL's probably gonna be releasing a platinum album at 50 years old while Will releases his 50th film and only us will remember him as a rapper....

Edited by bigted

LL Cool J will last longer in the rap game than FP. FP's next album will come out 10 years from now thats how bad FP's rap "bug" and "desire" has gotten.

LL Cool J will continue to bang out albums every two years which is what FP should and needs to do.

You never know, jeff is always bugging him to come to the studio for a couple of weeks to bust out a fresh JJFP album. FP could finally wake up one of these days and take a break from the film biz and do what he says he loves.

LL Cool J will last longer in the rap game than FP. FP's next album will come out 10 years from now thats how bad FP's rap "bug" and "desire" has gotten.

LL Cool J will continue to bang out albums every two years which is what FP should and needs to do.

You never know, jeff is always bugging him to come to the studio for a couple of weeks to bust out a fresh JJFP album. FP could finally wake up one of these days and take a break from the film biz and do what he says he loves.

Well there's only a month left until Will's off to do at least 6 consecutive films so that JJFP album might not happen until 2015, and it'll be truely a miracle if anybody buys it, maybe just a few of us and that's it: "Fresh Prince was hot but the movies killed him", Will Smith the actor has lots of life left while FP the rapper is on life support....

Edited by bigted

Well there's only a month left until Will's off to do at least 6 consecutive films so that JJFP album might not happen until 2015, and it'll be truely a miracle if anybody buys it, maybe just a few of us and that's it: "Fresh Prince was hot but the movies killed him", Will Smith the actor has lots of life left while FP the rapper is on life support....

I feel your pain Ted. How can FP be so great at rapping, and love it, but instead act? I guess we can only hope that FP drops some of his films (if that is possible) to start rapping again while he still is young. I don't understand why FP would use up this time in his life to act, when he can always have the ability to act, but not always have the ability to rap (atleast at this high of level).

I'll give it to Will. People are starting to show more love for the music, recognizing that he's an alltime great. Also, considering that both he and LL aren't only rappers, you have to take their general careers into account as well, and it's not even a question... Will's a household name and LL's hardly in the picture.

I don't think the question was about popularity, it's about longevity, if popularity was an issue then that means G-Unit and D-12 are bigger legends than Public Enemy since they've outsold them, sure LL never had an album sell 10 million like Will but be real he gets way more credit for his rap career than Will does and the point is that some of y'all even bring up Will's acting when talking about longevity since that's the only thing for Will that seems to have longevity as far as people recognising for what he's done years ago, for Will being a household name it's just for his acting, only a handful of people respect his rapping, it's like some rappers diss him and he don't answer back, that has a lil' bit to do with it, but with LL: his albums, his battle skills, his swagger has been something that he's been getting recogniton for years,Will's had more longevity than most rappers but he just doesn't get that type of credit for it and the point is that he has to keep making albums at a consistant pace since people are starting to respect him now, his acting career has overshadowed his rap career and that's not a good thing, when people say Will Smith they say actor, they don't think about Will Smith the rapper, that has to change...

LL has had a lot of respect in the game for years and I wouldn't be surprised if he does less music himself, he wanted to get serious about film for years and I think he'll get to it unless somebody comes along dissing him, I could say thank God for Canibus 'cause he helped keep LL's rap career going for at least another decade...

I think "Lost and Found" got higher reviews than what "Todd Smith" has been getting and it shows that Will might have more left than LL does but more than likely if Will does all of these movies in a row, odds are his next album will be another flop like 'Born To Reign' and basically like I said earlier LL's still respected as a legend, the reception with "Lost and Found" was: "Wow I didn't know Will had that much rap skills, this is a such a great album but he ain't no Rakim" while with "Todd Smith" it's like: "I'm not really feeling this album but LL's still one of the legends of hip-hop, gotta give it up for his longevity"... Now the hip-hop artists with the most longevity in the rap game might not be either LL or Will, it'll probably be Public Enemy and KRS-ONE that'll still be rapping 10 years from now, they ain't getting caught up in acting at all, they keep on putting out albums at consistant basis and they don't sell much but they're still respected in hip-hop circles, they're in their 40s already and they still put out albums on almost an annual basis...

Edited by bigted