JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith Thrilled About Becoming The Last Man On Earth

JamesUK

Thanx man! For those to lazy to click on the link: here's the article:

Will Smith Thrilled About Becoming The Last Man On Earth

Actor will hunt bloodsuckers in sci-fi flick 'I Am Legend.'

NEW YORK — After smashing robots to pieces in "I, Robot," Will Smith is ready to start busting up vampires in his next declaration, "I Am Legend."

The actor/rapper's sinking his teeth into yet another sci-fi classic, and this time around he'll play the last man on Earth. Smith's already sporting a new 'do for the part, having shaved his head to prepare for battle with the children of the night in what he calls a "viral apocalypse."

Richard Matheson's 1954 novel "I Am Legend" has been adapted to film before, in 1964 as "The Last Man on Earth" (starring Vincent Price) and in 1971 as "The Omega Man" (starring Charlton Heston). But the new version — to be directed by Francis Lawrence ("Constantine") — is said to be more faithful to the original novel.

"I Am Legend" is certainly not without its fans. Dean Koontz once called it "the most clever and riveting vampire novel since 'Dracula,' " while Stephen King has credited both the book and Matheson as strong influences.

As for Smith, he says he loves the genre in its entirety. "I love science fiction," Smith said Monday at a Jazz at Lincoln Center dinner celebrating Time magazine's list of the 100 most influential people (see "Diddy, Daddy Yankee, Angelina Jolie Rub Elbows With Bush On Time List"). "I'm a science-fiction junkie."

As Robert Neville, Smith will play the one man not afflicted by a plague that wiped out most of the world and transformed the survivors into bloodsuckers. Neville hunts them down by day, and by night, he hides in his home as the vampires try to coax him into converting to their side. But Neville can't kill them all, and once he becomes a minority of one, he becomes the outcast.

It's a story that resonates not just with sci-fi fans, Smith said, but also scientists, which is why the actor was eager to seek out real-life virologist Nancy Cox at the Time event to discuss the vampire/disease analogy. In the script by Mark Protosevich (rewritten by Akiva Goldsman), the vampires are created by a mistake in genetic engineering, when doctors alter blood cells to incorporate what they thought were the "good" properties of a virus, such as rapid duplication and molecular strength. Needless to say, it didn't work. (Cox's current experiment involves merging the bird-flu virus with a strain of human influenza).

"I just love how current the idea is," Smith said. "I love it when you can mix in a taste of a potential future, when there's other messages beyond the material, when there's other things at stake."

"I Am Legend" is slated for a 2007 release.

I just read this over at mtv, so glad he's getting paid for that haircut lol, guess he really did wanna get started filming right away, still not super excited about this film but I hope that changes with time and more info

I'm not sure how well Francis Lawrence will do, but remember before the Lord of the Rings films, Peter Jackson's movies were less than memorable. And sometimes great directors have done bad (oliver Stone-Alexander, Ridley Scott-Kingdom of Heaven) movies. So here's to hoping I Am legend will be pretty good:)

I would have rather seen Tonight, He Comes... with Halle Berry as the love interest... :wiggle:

In fact, come to think of it... Will needs to do a movie with the following:

Halle Berry

Denzel Washington

Tom Cruise

Jamie Fox

Tom Hanks

Tom hanks, perhaps

Jamie Fox, no no no

Tom Cruise, hell no

Denzel, perhaps

Halle, halllleee yeahhh :kekeke:

I would have rather seen Tonight, He Comes... with Halle Berry as the love interest... :wiggle:

Halle Berry

Denzel Washington

Tom Cruise

Jamie Fox

Tom Hanks

Tom hanks, perhaps

Jamie Fox, no no no

Tom Cruise, hell no

Denzel, perhaps

hater

Halle Berry

Denzel Washington

Tom Cruise

Jamie Fox

Tom Hanks

Tom hanks, perhaps

Jamie Fox, no no no

Tom Cruise, hell no

Denzel, perhaps

Will already did a movie with Jamie Fox :) ...guess u didn't watch Ali,about Denzel Washington :wickedwisdom:

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

Guest Guest

Will would get his revenge for them killing his family!

Have it directed by Quintin tarantino.

You got a classic in the making!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! GREAT MOVIE!!!!!

NOT STUPID VAMPIRES....again.

I forgot to log in this is justiceknight.

• Members

I would LOOOOOVE to see him in a Martin Scorsese movie with Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci about Italian mob...

What would Will do in a movie about the Italian mob?

To tell you the truth, I haven't exactly thought it through:) However what JusticeKnight suggested could be kinda cool;)

Maybe they would hire him as a blunt tool and use him for a job. Then Pesci would try to frame him , kill his family and De Niro would try to help him... something like that.