JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

all the right moves

Hero1

• Admin
All the right moves

By GEOFFREY LIP
At the start of a whirlwind 12-day press tour covering Sydney, Melbourne, Paris, Stockholm, London, Berlin and Moscow for his new movie, I, Robot, actor and pop star Will Smith took some time off to tell GEOFFREY LIP about his new movie, music and philosophy of life.

WILL Smith is a happy man, and happy in an infectious sort of way. As he sauntered into Sydney’s Park Hyatt suite for his round table interview with journalists from Asia in conjunction with his latest movie I, Robot, one could feel the joy and energy oozing from his 1.88m frame.

“I just do not find the pain in situations. When things happen, I am just intrigued by how I can turn it into a win versus allowing it to be heavy. I always say to myself, ‘what would a normal person do?’ And then I look at it, think about it in those terms and try to do something different,” said Smith.

“If I cannot be happy now with a hit movie, a successful relationship and a healthy kid, when am I going to be happy?” questioned Smith.

And Smith has every reason to be happy, with his new movie giving him his individual biggest ever opening in the United States in his entire career, and to date has already grossed well over US$90mil (RM342mil).

In the movie Smith plays homicide Detective Del Spooner, a robot phobic detective in the year 2035 where robots are everywhere serving people. He has to investigate the murder of a friend, but the circumstances of the murder seem to violate the three laws of robotics as all the evidence points to a robot being the murderer.

While the role looks like it was tailor made for Smith, the character of Del Spooner itself was anything but familiar as he comes with a major chip on his shoulder, filled with angst and paranoia.

“What was difficult for me was to play a dude that is unhappy. I am very happy every morning that I wake up, so it was hard for me to get into the mindset of someone who dreaded waking up in the morning. When I get out of bed in the morning, I am already acting silly and playing,” said Smith.

As such, the movie turned out to be a good opportunity for him to flex both his physical and acting muscles.

“I have had the opportunity to work on artistic films such as Six Degrees of Separation and Ali, and I have also had big blockbuster films like Independence Day, Men in Black and Men in Black II. I, Robot is the first film I have ever worked on where I felt like I got to use both sides,” said Smith.

His secret to handling each role is simple: Be prepared.

“What I try to do with films is to do all of the homework ahead of time so that when you are on the set, you can just allow it to be what it is going to be versus trying to force a scene, just allow the scene to naturally play into what it is going to be,” said Smith.

Smith’s personality and work ethic have inspired confidence in others that he can pull off any role.

“Will has an incredible humanity to him and he brings that to all of his characters. He has a great sense of humour, is ‘alive’ and he is as human a human being as you can find,” stressed I, Robot director Alex Proyas.

“While the character is pretty dark and he has had a tortured past, I wanted Will because I thought he could rise above that and he did it beautifully,” added Proyas.

And Smith believes that this role could also be one of the best roles he has had in a long time.

“I, Robot and Enemy of the State are two films that are the most complete films that I have ever been able to work on. I just love being able to have a scene where robots attack a car, but also where there is a character who talks about the pain that he experienced and why he is the way he is. You just generally do not have those scenes in the same place with one another,” said Smith.

While his character in I, Robot may be different, Smith still maintains a predilection for sci-fi movie roles, and it would surprise no one that this former computer-engineering student is a techno-junkie.

“I love everything about technology. I always have the latest iPod attachment, the latest software for my computer and the latest music and filmmaking technology. I am also always making short films at home and editing it on my computer,” said Smith, who turned down a Massachusetts Institute of Technology scholarship to pursue his musical career.

In fact, it is one sci-fi movie in particular that drives him to make the movies he makes today.

“I just want to make a movie that makes people feel the way I felt while watching Star Wars. When I watched Star Wars, it was not even about a movie, but about the hope for the human spirit,” said Smith.

“When I was watching that, I thought to myself that somebody sat down in their house and they did not have any money, they did not have anything but an idea. All those people came together with all their ideas and energy, and the sole purpose was to make me feel the way I felt while watching it,” added Smith.

And he has channelled his own energies into crafting performances that would inspire hope in others.

“I love making movies where people win and there is a hopefulness of winning. When people ask me about the success of my films and my life, I always say I sell hope in insurmountable situations. I like playing guys that can win no matter what the odds are,” said Smith.

However, Smith hopes to be able to try newer roles that will challenge him, roles that will demand a broader range of acting from him.

“I love a film where I am able to be very funny, but I can also be warm and emotional, and then angry in another scene, and where I get to fight in yet another. It covers a more dynamic human spectrum,” said Smith.

Another of Smith’s aims is to find the “number one answer”, the kind of movie like Gladiator, Forrest Gump or Jerry Maguire that would demand an Oscar worthy performance from him while also scoring big at the box office.

One thing is for sure, while he may be producing a TV show with wife Jada Pinkett Smith called All of Us, do not expect him to appear on a TV series anytime soon. The success of I, Robot, apparently “puts TV way in the background.”

While we may not see the Fresh Prince on television anymore, it does not mean Smith has given up on comedy entirely; in fact, he will appear in romantic comedy the Last First Kiss with Eva Mendes and Kevin James in February next year.

Smith will also have a new album which is slated to be released at about Christmas time this year.

“Where in I, Robot you see a slightly more mature but still a little of the old Will, that is sort of the same place where I am with my music. There will still be a little of the old-school flavour but it will be slightly more mature. It is still dance oriented but there will also be a lot more moments of reflection for this album lyrically,” said Smith.

Besides his family, music, acting and producing credits, Smith still finds time to fit in one more passion – golf.

“When I did (The Legend of) Bagger Vance, the whole game opened up more as a connection to life, a connection to the universe and the concept of the yin and the yang of hope,” enthused Smith, citing the book Zen and the Art of Archery for his theories on the game.

“One of the concepts is the problem that when you stand over the ball, and you hope the ball goes straight, the problem with that hope is that hope is interconnected with fear. It is the concept of being able to release the hope in order to release the fear and just feel and connect and let what is going to happen just happen,” adds Smith.

That is a philosophy that could easily be applied to Smith’s own life, letting things happen while he went on to embrace his dream.

“The best thing about life is the ability to dream something and see it. That is such a gift I have right now, that I can lay in my bed and dream something, wake up and have the facility and support to realise that,” said Smith.

For a man who gave up the prospects of a stable job and future to pursue his dreams, Smith portrays himself as an example of how one’s hopes and dreams can come true if you give it your best shot.

“It is almost better to not live at all than not to follow your dreams. It is a terrible place to wake up one day and realise you have not taken the shot that you always wanted to take.”

Smith concluded: “It does not matter how old you are, how many people are against you or how much money you are going to lose. Just exhaust all of your options to chase the thing that is your biggest dream. I am living mine everyday.”

[url="http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2004/7/29/movies/8530440&sec=movies"]http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.as...0440&sec=movies[/url]

[quote=Hero1,Jul 28 2004, 11:53 PM]“Where in I, Robot you see a slightly more mature but still a little of the old Will, that is sort of the same place where I am with my music. There will still be a little of the old-school flavour but it will be slightly more mature. It is still dance oriented but there will also be a lot more moments of reflection for this album lyrically,” said Smith.[/quote]
YES!! Perfect!! :bowdown:
What a great interview. I loved it. Thanx :tear:

okay, that new album response...

“Where in I, Robot you see a slightly more mature but still a little of the old Will, that is sort of the same place where I am with my music. There will still be a little of the old-school flavour but it will be slightly more mature. It is still dance oriented but there will also be a lot more moments of reflection for this album lyrically,” said Smith.

is gettin old now...talk about it some more in depth. but great read!!! thanks.

THANX!!! Good 2 hear him talk about the music again. This article waz great 2 read...cuz it proves that emcees/rappers can actually be smart. In articles like this...u see the Fresh Prince u expect, the goofyness, the sillyness, but u also see how smart he is. The way he talks and his outlook on life is amazing. When other rappers do interviews, they sound...well, like they have a 5th grade vocabulary with no experience in life.

Nobody is perfect, but 90% of the people who have remote celebrity status don't deserve people 2 look at them as a role model cuz they are nasty, selfish, greedy liars. It's people like Will who not only deserve the title of role model, but other celebrities should try 2 fix their life and their outlook on life 2 be more like his. It's not hard 2 be positive and real as the same time.

[quote]when you stand over the ball, and you hope the ball goes straight, the problem with that hope is that hope is interconnected with fear. It is the concept of being able to release the hope in order to release the fear and just feel and connect and let what is going to happen just happen,” adds Smith.[/quote]

:bowrofl: :bowdown: Thanx Will for that thought, it applies to many situations of life. U R one of the masters of my life.

Yeah, it's interviews like this, his knowledge, the way he presents himself and his willingness 2 learn and everything put together that made him a role model of mine in the first place. Not 2 mention he's an actor/rapper, a family man and just an overall positive guy. 2 top it all off, he's hardworking and makes sure he's successful at everything he does. It's hard not 2 look up 2 Will, and there's a couple of reasons why.

"But though he’s passionate about his new high-tech role, Smith has no intention of neglecting his recording career. He’s about to release a new album and says music will always be his first love.

"I have a studio in my house, so even when I’m not putting things out I’m still recording. There hasn’t been a point in my life where I didn’t have 30 songs lying around."

----------------------

whoa!!!!!! release em all Will!