JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BUILD YOUR OWN WILL SMITH "GREATEST HITS" ALBUM

Will Smith "Greatest Hits" is one weak greatest hits project. Since Will and Columbia didn't wanna have anything 2 do with each other, they rushed it out as a last attempt 2 make money off his time there and 2 fulfill his contract. The poor artwork waz bad enuff but the disappointing tracklisting waz the most tragic part of it. If u were working at Columbia and were trying 2 put 2gether the Will Smith "Greatest Hits" album, what would the tracklisting be?

Here's mine...

Will Smith "Greatest Hits"
1. Big Willie Style Megamix
2. Just Cruisin' (Video Version) - w/ breakdown + scratches
3. Gettin' Jiggy Wit It (Original Version) - w/ Jeff's additional samples
4. Just The Two of Us (Rodney Jerkins Remix) feat. Brian McKnight
5. Miami (Video Mix) - Album Version blending in2 Miami Mix feat. Miami Sound Machine
6. (Boy) You Knock Me Out (Big Willie Style Mix - Extended) w/ Tatyana Ali
7. Will 2K (Video Version) - w/ old skool breakdown in middle of song
8. So Fresh (with intro from music video)
9. Freakin' It
10. 1,000 Kisses (Video Version) - w/ old skool breakdown
11. Holla Back (Bonus Track)
12. Men In Black feat. Coko
13. Wild Wild West feat. Drul Hill + Kool Moe Dee
14. Nod Ya Head (The Remix)
15. Gettin' Jiggy Wit It (DJ Scratch Remix)
16. Just The Two of Us

I think this would have been a proper greatest hits album becuz it's loaded with all the modern singles and flows (i think the JJ+FP trax just didn't let the album flow and they wern't necessary since Jive put 2gether a great JJ+FP "Greatest Hits album). The movie songs were clumped 2gether so they wouldn't mess with the flow of real music. Also, but putting the video versions, it would make the hardcore fans happy 2 have alternate versions of trax they already have and the remixes, megamix, and "Holla" back would have served as great bonuses 2 all of his fans. I would have also had a totally fresh album cover and had a megamix created 2 promote the album on the radio and with a music video 4 it.

See thats what i thought. I am, as is everyone here among the biggest fans in the world, yet i did not buy Will Smith Greatest Hits. I own every studio album by JJ+FP & Will Smith and JJ+FP Greatest Hits & Platinum & Gold collection but there was absoloutley no point in me buying this album because i have all the songs anyway. I guess you cud say the same for the Platinum & Gold collection but atleast they were re-mastered. With a greatest hits you really wanna be able to sell it too the big fans aswell as the casual buyers.

The sad thing is, it wouldn't have taken any more effort 2 at least put 2gether the tracklisting. Screw the artwork and promotion, they could have at least put a better tracklisting on it. I couldn't help getting it tho.' Just 2 have something new waz kinda nice. It's also priced really low (about $10 - $12) so it dosen't exactly hurt your budget. I waz kinda happy 2 have "1,000 Kisses" without the talking at the end 2. Helps make those mixtape CDs flow better.

Guest Prince
I'm not sure if it makes me gullible or a dedicated fan that I bought it... I just hope that some of my money would have ended up in FPs pocket.

AJ, I think you just answered your own question for us all there with the tracklisting!

[quote=KevTastic,Jul 27 2004, 01:47 PM]See thats what i thought. I am, as is everyone here among the biggest fans in the world, yet i did not buy Will Smith Greatest Hits. I own every studio album by JJ+FP & Will Smith and JJ+FP Greatest Hits & Platinum & Gold collection but there was absoloutley no point in me buying this album because i have all the songs anyway. I guess you cud say the same for the Platinum & Gold collection but atleast they were re-mastered. With a greatest hits you really wanna be able to sell it too the big fans aswell as the casual buyers.[/quote]
I agree. I didn't buy the WS "Greatest Hits" album because of that. Plus the whole Sony Connect thing wouldn't work after Will left Columbia I dont think.

AJ, I think that is the best tracklisting right there. You nailed it perfect.

Plus maybe throw on some of the unreleased tracks that were supposed to be on Big Willie Style..Tim has the original tracklisting I think.

Also put the videos on the CD or on a seperate DVD. That woulda been nice.

Yeah, Colulmbia really should have released a Will Smith "Greatest Hits" DVD. Boy You Knock Me Out, Freakin' It, Nod Ya Head (The Remix), and 1,000 Kisses are gonna be rare and hard 2 find now. They didn't need 2 put alot of work in 2 it (like the CD)...they coulda just put it out 4 us fans.

About those Big Willie Style unreleased trax...i'm beginning 2 think that "Lean Left Lean Right" and "Round And Round" were just typos from CDnow.com and not trax that just didn't make the album.

I do think it waz important 2 pick the album up tho.' After that one Sony PR said Will waz washed up, sales of this album couldn't hurt. However, Columbia would have benifited from it more than Will. I still think buying it is a good act of support and a sign of apprication 4 Will.

I'm glad that everyone so far likes my tracklisting. Someone pass the word 2 Columbia that they should re-release it. My tracklisting with an accompanying DVD. Since he didn't do 2 many videos, there would be plenty of room for interviews that Columbia had of Will and the commercials they made 4 his albums.

[quote=Da Brakes,Jul 28 2004, 02:21 AM]Yea i agree!! I think i only bought the cd because it was Will and not because i desperately wanted the album!![/quote]
:ditto:

The CD obviously sucks, but if u don't have the 3 solo albums and haven't heard those few JJ+FP trax, it's actually not that bad. Then again it's stupid cuz there's nothing new on it, but if u kinda look at it as a burnt mix album with JJ+FP/Will Smith trax on it...it's not COMPLETELY useless.

I think that there's enough Will Smith greatest hits albums out already, I thought that Sony shouldn't have released "Willl Smith Greatest Hits" album out at that time, it didn't make sense to me. I didn't buy the album since I have "Big Willie Style", "Willenium", and "Born II Reign" already. How can u have a greatest hits album that spans only 5 years(1997-2002)? That's why I don't 100% like your idea AJ, but I do like that point about the unreleased tracks being released, that should be done a seperate CD. When JJ&FP reach their 20th anniversary, they should release a CD/DVD to honor their solo and group work too, it'll give fans more of an idea that Jazzy Jeff works just as hard as Will does on his music even though his solo projects don't have the same success that Will has had with his solo projects! :werd:

Yeah, the fact that Will only had 3 albums is a main factor why it waz unnecessary. However, with the way the music biz is these days, Will would have had 2 fight 2 NOT have it put out. By them putting it out, i'm sure it'll make it easier for him 2 release another Greatest Hits album in the future. Imagin a WS greatest hits album WITHOUT "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It." It benifited Will cuz it got him off the label without legal problems . We'll never know the extact deal that Will had with them...my main point waz that they make a quality Greatest Hits album and sum up his career as a solo artist better that what that weak album did.

i think the only reason that columbia made a greatest hits album (this is just a guess) was bcoz Will might have had a 4 album deal and they put it out so he could be released from his deal. at least thats what possibly could have happened, if it wasnt that then it was just so colmbia could spueeze a few more bucks out of Will b4 they got rid of him.

I also didnt buy the album bcoz i have all the songs and i didnt want columbia to get hold of any more of my money.

Yeah, i've read interviews where they say the Greatest Hits album waz how they fulfilled his contract. It waz obviously mutual for both Will and Columbia that they part Will cuz they could have fought the idea so that each of them could have gotten their way, but i think Will waz sick of the grip they had on him and Columbia wazn't interested in him since he wazn't making Big Willie Style sales anymore.