JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LORD TARIQ + PETER GUNZ

Man, i have been listening 2 Lord Tariq + Peter Gunz 1998 album "Make It Reign" alot lately. I got this album when it dropped in the spring/summer of 1998 and blasted it thru' out the summertime. I think these cats are so cool and i can't believe they've not come back yet. They aren't squeaky clean at all, but their production which waz often radio-friendly, but not made 4 the mainstream made every track dope. They could hit u with a gutter track, then a party track, then a spiritual track, and so on. They covered all bases and their lyrics were clever, witty, and something way above the standard of what waz getting played on the radio at the time (Jay-Z, Mase, Puffy).

Of course everyone remembers the monster hit "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)." That waz the 1st Hip-Hop track representing an emcee's homeland since the East coast / West Coast aka Bad Boy / Deathrow war. It made it cool (and safe) 2 rep where u come from again. They backed it with the next single "We Will Ball." Their success lead 2 cameos on Tatyana Ali's "Daydreamin,'" Mariah Carey's "My All (Stay Awhile Remix)", and spots on albums from Pete Rock, Sporty Theivz and so on.

They started out from 2 different crews, Tariq waz a part of the group Money Boss Playas and his style waz more street and gutter. Peter Gunz of the Gun Runnerz waz a bit more commercial and radio friendly. Their chemistry was insane. I waz actually a fan of there's in 1996 from their stuff on Shaquille O'Neal's "Can't Stop The Reign" album and Whodini's So So Def-produced "Six" album. They later went on 2 perform with Will and even record with him however it waz never relased. They laid vocals down 4 a So So Def Remix of "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" but they wern't put on the track. On of the import singles actually credits them with additional vocals on the track, but they aren't actually on the song.

After all the cameos, platnium sales, and not 2 mention GOOD MUSIC, i can't believe they havn't come back. They were on a Sony label so issues with their label isn't a surprise if that's the case. They worked on solo projects but remained close (i remember Peter Gunz cussing on a local radio station...making sure they played Tariq's solo joint..ha ha).

4 those of u who are lookin' 2 check in2 something new/old. Check out Lord Tariq + Peter Gunz. Here's a list of trax that liked the most...
Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)
We Will Ball
Be My Lady
Make It Reign
Keep On
My Time To Go

• Admin
yeah i heard deja vu live about 6 months b4 it came out and thought it was dope.. i was a peter gunz fan.. lord tariq was a bit 2 hardcore 4 me.. all the connections will had with these guys was from when they performed together in melbourne!