JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ice Cube: Steady Mobbin'

bigted

Ice Cube: Steady Mobbin'

By Tiffany Hamilton

After a six-year solo album hiatus, Ice Cube is back. With his new album, Laugh Now Cry Later due out this summer. While it’s not the Dr. Dre produced Helter Skelter project we’ve been twice promised, it is backed by Lil’ Jon, who has currently helped turn the lights back on in E-40’s hall of game. After two very profiled listening parties, only a few calendar pages separate Cube from the charts.

The man who last time reemerged as “Don Mega,” spoke to AllHipHop.com. Cube responds to the mixed reviews to his FX show Black.White. The MC also gives context to his album, for the vast majority who has not had a glimpse. In looking ahead, Cube also touches on the fast from the past that we may see again, and some “guerillas” and “chicken-hawks” that are likely to remain there. When it comes to knowledge, Cube spills at will.

AllHipHop.com: First things first, your show Black.White., debuted on FX recently and it has cause quite a stir in both communities, what was you initial intention when you created the show?

Ice Cube: I just wanted to get dialogue and get people talking about race; I wanted the show to reflect that there is still a problem with race relations in America, and that there are many layers dealing with the subject. Until people talk about it, and get an understanding of what is going on, there will really be no solution. I really don’t care what people say about me, because honestly I am used to it. [laughs] My intent [is clear] when I say, “The things aren’t to offend anyone, it’s to hopefully open the viewer’s or the listener’s eyes to see that there are problems out there and to get people to talk about them.” I think everyone has a racist point of view, and that’s why these shows and people addressing the issue head on, whether it be through a record or whatever, is needed to get people talking and dealing with their own selves. There is never a clear cut or simple solution to any problem and that is why I say the things I say and do the things I do because if no one brings them up, people have a tendency to think that it doesn’t exist.

AllHipHop.com: Stepping out of the realm of acting and directing, your new album Laugh Now, Cry Later is due to be released in June, what directions can fans expect for you to go with the album, because we haven’t heard from you in a while as an MC?

Ice Cube: Fans will get a little of the old and something new, I definitely tried to give them some of the new me without leaving out the old. I am talking about a lot of things that are dealing with the state of life, America, Hip-Hop and the world today. So I definitely have the gangster records, but I also have the records with something to say which brings out the Laugh Now, Cry Later aspect of the record.

AllHipHop.com: With the political and social consciousness on two songs on the album, “Black White” and “Why We Thugs”; now that you have such a universal appeal are you afraid of the backlash that you will receive for these types of records spilling over into your film career?

Ice Cube: Not really, I started my career doing records and saying what I feel, I am not going to avoid doing that and not be true to myself or Hip-Hop to avoid somebody in Hollywood’s feelings. I think that when you are doing Hip-Hop, it should come from the heart, it should be how you feel and how you see it, so I am just going to let the chips fall where they may; because in Hollywood I have always been known to create my own lane, no one has ever walked and given me anything because I’m Cube. I had to earn it. AllHipHop.com: From the looks of things, it seems you have reunited with a lot of your old crews. You are working with WC on your upcoming album and the album is released on Lench Mob Records, is there a future reunion with you and Mack 10 and Da Lench Mob in the works?

Ice Cube: [Mack 10 and I] haven’t talked about anything yet; I am going to work with WC on his album and then I will start working on my next album after that, so as of right now I am not sure what or if we will do a project. As far as with Da Lench Mob, they are still disbanded, honestly I am really trying to press forward and not looking back, now I have a new squad and a new family that I’m rolling with and I am going to move forward from here.

AllHipHop.com: A while ago there was a rumor that there was beef between you and Dr. Dre because he didn’t want to work with you on your album, can you shed some light on that topic?

Ice Cube: That’s not true. I respect [Dr.] Dre and everything he is doing in the game and I know that although we couldn’t do anything on this record we may on the next, I don’t know. But I do know that if he wants to work together we will, if not I will keep it moving. We are both businessmen, so there would never be any beef over something like that.

AllHipHop.com: At AllHipHop.com, we recently did an interview with Luke and he was stating that due to his persona in the industry he didn’t receive a lot of credit for a lot of things he helped pave the way for. Do you feel as a veteran in Hip-Hop that you guys are starting to be overlooked especially when it comes to comebacks, because of your age and who you were?

Ice Cube: Sometimes the industry tries to snub off the older MC for the new light, or the unsigned hype. To me, the industry is like the NFL - the older you get the more you are dismissed for the rookies coming in. I think that’s a shame because if you are an artist, it doesn’t matter what age you are, if you are dropping records that people are excited about that’s all that should matter. Honestly, that is what the older MC is striving for; to make sure that each album he drops gets the people excited just like a new artist does. I mean as an MC, we want to make sure that our place in history is set and I think that is where Luke’s frustration comes from. After all his hard work and what he has done in the game there is no one saying ‘thank you’ for it. That’s why when I do my records I make sure that they are from the heart, because at the end of the day you may be the only one left with the records and I want to make sure that at the end of the day, at least I can say I am proud of everything I said because it was true to me and what I felt at that moment.

They're gonna premiere Ice Cube's new video "Why We Thugs?" on BET tonight at 7:30EST after 106 & Park

Bump for whoever didn't see this, btw I'm diggin' that video too