JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Downloading music

I used to have kazaa on my computer to download my music from but recently my comp had a virus so i had a really good firewall put in. my firewall is now so good that it wont let me use kazaa bcoz there is basically too many pop ups and viruses on it.

So im wondering has any1 got any suggestions where i can download music from without all the pop ups and stuff. I think Prince suggested one to me once but i forgot what it was called.

'Ares' is really good
'WinMX' is ok
'DC++' is alright

If your used to using Kazaa then the best one for you is 'Ares'. I use it and it hasn't given me any problems or viruses so far. I wouldn't advise anyone to use Kazaa to download ANYTHING! Its full of viruses!! :puke:

Guest Prince
lol you can use P2P with a firewall... Just configure it correctly. I managed it 2 years ago but then I found my common sense. Be warned though; your firewall won't protect you from what you ask your computer to download and there isn't any firewall around that is perfect. Even from surfing around the internet to unknown sites your computer can become abused by remote computer users (if you have a Windows OS and use IE as your internet browser this is like a motorway for hacks as IE is built into the OS. Use another browser instead such as Netscape, the advantages over IE are quite unbelievable, and as it isn't part of the OS it is less likely to crash and when it does it is less likely to bring down the OS). If you want to use KaZaA, use KaZaA Lite - same thing but less spyware.

All P2P programs are vulnerable to people abusing the system, but if you want to rip-off music artists, waste alot of your time closing popups, waste alot of your time scanning each thing you download to check they're clean, waste alot of your time cleaning your computer up again when something you've downloaded does end up to half wreck your computer (probably the program themselves in some cases, I don't know) - then P2P programs are the way to go.

Don't do this to yourself. The same thing could only so easily happen again, and in my opinion since it is your computer then you, and only you, should have the right as to what gets installed onto it.

Kazaa lite seems to work fine with my firewall. The first time I opened kazaa after installing the firewall, it asked me if I wanted to allow kazaa to 'work'. If you click ok then it will let kazaa work. Whenever something tries to get in/out of my computer, i get asked whether I want to allow it, of course for regular things you just click 'Always Permit/Block'. Incidentally my firewall is part of the Norton Internet Security package... good luck...

Jonny