JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What are you reading?

mfuqua23

Well, we don't have to only be entertain by tv and music. I'm sure some people like to read a book just as well. Maybe it could interest others to look it up. Much like music, movies, etc. have wit this forum. Why exclude the one the simplist forms of entertaining or educating? So, I'm currently reading...

Makes Me Wanna Holler: A Young Black Man in America by Nathan McCall

I've been really gettin a lot of insight outta this book. My bro recommended that I read it, so I picked it up off of him one day. I'm a lil more than half way done. He grew up doing wrong and stuff, but turned it around. (the easiest way to put it, but still no reason to overlook it) Everybody can relate and/or understand it at some point.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well currently in school we're reading To Kill A Mockingbird. other books we've read this year are Lord of the Flies and Night (a story about the Holocaust)

but the best book i've read in a while that i think deserves a mention was the book i read last summer called "Nathan's Run". i seriously hate reading but this book was so good i became addicted to it. it's about a troubled young boy who made some mistakes, but inside is a nice kid. anyways, both of his parents die and he get stuck with his drunken uncle so he commits a crime just 2 get away from his dad. he gets thrown in juvenile detention center and one of the drunken guards who is about 20 years old comes at him with a knife. the poor 12 year old boy defends himself and outsmarts the drunken guard and escapes from the prison. he finds empty houses to break into and drives their cars to get as far away as he can. while the cops are in hot pursuit of him, he also has an inside hitman after him. it turns out the hitman poses as a cop, catches Nathan and the cops don't realize until the last minute while Nathan is being held at gunpoint that the hitman isn't a cop. the story ends in a violent shootout and the hitman gets shot in the head holding a gun 2 Nathan's head. Nathan is adopted by the one of the police officers and presumably lives a better life than b4.

go check this book out, or at least read a better summary of it than mine if ur interested 4 somethin 2 read and u like action stories with suspense that keeps u on ur toes.

hey reborn, if it makes U feel any better, our high school's 12th grade advanced english is reading "lord of the flies". So others can feel ya pain. Me I can't cuz I'm in regular English. We just finished reading "Valedictory". A janitor on graduation day remembering the students he grew to love.

hey reborn, if it makes U feel any better, our high school's 12th grade advanced english is reading "lord of the flies". So others can feel ya pain. Me I can't cuz I'm in regular English. We just finished reading "Valedictory". A janitor on graduation day remembering the students he grew to love.

geez where do u go 2 school? i read Lord of the Flies this year as a 10th grader in regular old Enlgish 10. i dont think that book is appropriate 4 advanced seniors. i dunno man, our school aint known 4 real good education, but it makes me wonder what ur school is doin

That was a good description u gave... It sounds like a good book. The most recent book I got, is called "The Bondage Breaker" by Neil. T. Anderson and it talks about Overcoming Negative thoughts, Irrational Feelings, and Habitual Sins. I haven't started reading it much...but I will be soon...

peace,

cookie

"Woman Thou Art Loosed" by Bishop T.D Jakes. It's about a girl that was raped for most of her life grows up to be a woman that is leading a troubled life. You probably have heard of this b4 it was featured on the Oprah.

I'm reading a book called "Where You're At" by Patrick Neate inspired from a phrase in a Rakim song, "It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at", it's about how hip-hop's perceived around the world from places like New York, Tokyo, Johannesburg, Capetown, and Rio De Janeiro.

Quick recommendation (I'll have more lata): "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto" by Chuck Klosterman, which I read a couple months back. It's TOP NOTCH. Insanely entertaining, very interesting and funny... even if his conclusions are sometimes over-the-top. You need to get this book. :poke: It's actually where I plagerized all those "Completely Relevent Questions" (hitler's skull v. turtle, kick a friend in the ribs) from before lol.

Edited by scyhigh99

I'm reading "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston for my English class in 11th grade- high school. The whole class is reading it together. Personally, if I'm not reading something that I'm interested in, then I'm not a reader. I hate to read. I can't just goto a book store, grab some sci-fi book and just crack it open and just get involved. Reading is good for you I guess, but I have better things to do with my time. It's just boring to me.

I actually don't read that much. For some reason, i get this slightly urban mens magazine Complex in the mail 4 free...i have no idea why. But i read that when i get it.

I do read this one book every nite. It's by a pastor/speaker names Joel Osteen. I came across him when channel flipping last year. He waz speaking and it just touched me in a way that got me hooked. I watch his show ever Sunday on BET. He dropped a book called Your Best Life Now and i'm reading it the second time around. It gives me what i need 2 live each day 2 the fullest even when i wanna slow down. Even when i'm going thru' hell, like i have been the last year and a half, this book has helped me find joy in other areas of life.

Currently reading Oliver Twist - Dickens is always a great read, though so far it's not as good as Tale of Two Cities.

Just re-read The Raven. Now that's some OLD school story-tellen rap. :) Ya gotta love classic horror poetry!

Just finished Bill Clintons "My Life" I don't care what anyone says, that cat's impressive.