JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will at Grammy Jam Session With The Roots

bigted

I bet the Jam Session was probably more entertaining than the Grammies, I tried watching some of that last night but I thought it was boring:

The Roots and Jermaine Dupri Rock L.A. For The Grammys

Wednesday - February 8, 2006 by Carl "H.D." Chery

As Kanye West, Mariah Carey and John Legend prepare to take the stage, Jermaine Dupri and The Roots are hosting parties in celebration of the 48th annual Grammy Awards.

'Ye, Carey and Legend, who are nominated for eight Grammys each, are also slated to perform during the ceremony tonight. West will team up with Jamie Foxx for a rendition of "Gold Digger" while Legend, Ciara and Will.I.Am of Black Eyed Peas are among the stars scheduled to take part in a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone. Meanwhile, Jay-Z will join forces with Linkin Park to perform "Numb/Encore." Mary J. Blige is also expected to perform.

Dave Chappelle, Ludacris, Queen Latifah, Destiny's Child, Alicia Keys, Chris Brown and Terrence Howard are among the night's presenters.

The Grammys got an early start with a slew of shindigs starting yesterday (February 7). At the stroke of midnight, the Fugees performed a Pre-Grammy concert on the legendary intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street in Los Angeles. The performance was also broadcasted live on the radio for Hot 97 New York listeners.

Later in the day, legendary record executive/J Records founder Clive Davis hosted his star-studded Pre-Grammy party at Beverly Hills' Beverly Hilton Hotel. Davis' Pre-Grammy parties have previously featured performances from Kanye, Diddy, Wyclef, Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys, among countless others.

Meanwhile, the Roots held their third annual Grammy Jam Session, hosted by Black Thought, Don Cheadle and Dave Chappelle. The session was open to aspiring vocalists, musicians and emcees. Jay-Z, Common, Erykah Badu, Jeremy Piven of HBO's "Entourage," Legend, Martin Luther, Will Smith, Mos Def, Will.I.Am, Spike Lee, Talib Kweli, Kelis and Floetry are all featured on this year's guest list.

Post celebrations are also being planned. Carey and Dupri are set to hold their LG Mobile Phone-sponsored post Grammy celebration in Beverly Hills. Pharrell Williams, Snoop Dogg, Usher, Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys, Ashton Kutcher and Jessica Simpson will be on hand for the event.

But before Mariah or Kanye can celebrate, both are facing stiff competition in their respective Grammy categories. Among the nominees for Best Rap Song are 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" featuring Olivia, West's "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," The Black Eyed Peas' "Don't Phunk With My Heart," "Hate It Or Love It" by The Game featuring 50 Cent, and "Lose Control" by Missy Elliott featuring Ciara and Fat Man Scoop.

The Best Rap Album Category includes Common's album Be, Elliott's The Cookbook, Eminem's Encore, 50's The Massacre and West's Late Registration. West's "Gold Digger" is up against Common's "Testify," T.I.'s "U Don't Know Me," 50 Cent's "Disco Inferno" Ludacris' "Number One Spot" and Eminem's "Mockingbird" for Best Rap Solo Performance.

Edited by bigted