JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What's the difference betwen hh & rap?

Damian

Hip Hop = 4 Elements (MC, DJ, B-Boys & Graph Writers)

A Hip Hopper is one who represent the hip hop culture. (every true meaning of hip hop)

Rap = A Branch Of Hip Hop

A Rapper is one who rhymes in a hip hop rhythm.

So, is a Techno DJ Hip-Hop? What about Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, they rap, are they Hip-Hop? If a graff writer hates Rap and black people, is he still Hip-Hop? :hmm:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is a Techno DJ Hip-Hop? What about Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, they rap, are they Hip-Hop? If a graff writer hates Rap and black people, is he still Hip-Hop? :hmm:

they were all inspired by hip hop

yes limp bizkit and linkin park are classified as rock n roll but the inspiration clearly came from hip hop. Its just like how jazz influenced rock n roll and basically every other form of music.

and its funny that u asked if a techno dj is hip hop cuz if you play some early bambaataa to the crowd nowadays they would believe that your playing techno when it really was hip hop... so its kinda the same for the techno dj, its all from the hip hop culture... its influenced many musicians and dj's whether or not they say so.

they were all inspired by hip hop

yes limp bizkit and linkin park are classified as rock n roll but the inspiration clearly came from hip hop. Its just like how jazz influenced rock n roll and basically every other form of music.

and its funny that u asked if a techno dj is hip hop cuz if you play some early bambaataa to the crowd nowadays they would believe that your playing techno when it really was hip hop... so its kinda the same for the techno dj, its all from the hip hop culture... its influenced many musicians and dj's whether or not they say so.

Techno DJs & House DJs evolved more from Disco DJs who were around LONG before Hip-Hop. In fact, even Hip-Hop DJing evolved out of Disco DJs. So, I guess if we go by your methodology all DJs are Disco. Or maybe we are all Jazz? :hmm:

Graffiti has been around forever. NYC style graffiti developed in the late '60s, early '70s. When I was writing back then I knew white graf artists who knew nothing about Hip-Hop or anything else black at all, so how could they have been inspired by Hip-Hop?

Yes, I agree completely about Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, as well as Rage Against The Machine. However many of my Old Skool colleagues would not. The bottom line is, while MOST Rap is inspired by Hip-Hop, all Rap is NOT Hip-Hop.

i completely agree that all rap is not hip hop

and about your graffiti statement... i was responding to the words you put up earlier that said "If a graff writer hates Rap and black people, is he still Hip-Hop?"... i was thinking that you were meaning, during the hip hop era...

but since were being specific... every element of hip hop was been around long before hip hop was even thought of...

breaking = capoiera

graf artist = painters

dj's = im not too sure of when they first evolved but i would say around the disco era

mc's = the entertainers who performed musical pieces through rhymes all throughout history

if im wrong with anything im saying... please correct me

ps. the funny thing about this is that im playing my playlist on random and "jam on it" is currently playing and your currently rapping on it

Edited by DaAce

i completely agree that all rap is not hip hop

and about your graffiti statement... i was responding to the words you put up earlier that said "If a graff writer hates Rap and black people, is he still Hip-Hop?"... i was thinking that you were meaning, during the hip hop era...

but since were being specific... every element of hip hop was been around long before hip hop was even thought of...

breaking = capoiera

graf artist = painters

dj's = im not too sure of when they first evolved but i would say around the disco era

mc's = the entertainers who performed musical pieces through rhymes all throughout history

if im wrong with anything im saying... please correct me

ps. the funny thing about this is that im playing my playlist on random and "jam on it" is currently playing and your currently rapping on it

Completely agreed. Heheheh, glad I made your playlist. :1-smile:

• 4 months later...