JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What's the difference betwen hh & rap?

Damian

Well I think JJFP are also rap too, not just hip-hop, 'cause some of their songs are fantasies that ain't actually a part of their everyday real life, basically nobody's albums are 100% reality for an artist, some of it is fantasy for the person saying it but it could be reality for somebody else just like cartoons and movies that have real life themes even though the characters ain't real you could say, lol, rap could be fiction or nonfiction, like some songs I write ain't necessarily a part of my life but they tell a story that might be part of somebody else's life so that part of me is a part of only rapping and when I write songs about what I personally experience that makes it a hip-hop song I'm rapping, and another thing just 'cause you don't like a certain artist doesn't mean they're not hip-hop, those who hate Black Eyed Peas and MC Hammer might point out and say they ain't hip-hop just like when you hate on Nelly and 50 Cent and say they ain't hip-hop, well I think they're all hip-hop 'cause they express themselves in different ways whether you like them or not, hip-hop is their life, they were doing it/fans of it before they had record deals and they'll still have love for it even when they don't have a record deal, now somebody who just does a rap album when in reality their heart's into another entertainment field or profession and they got not passion for the history of hip-hop, they're just doing rap, that's the way I look at it...

Like I said before these hip-hop artists today ain't the 1st ones to floss with ice and money and rims, what about Slick Rick's jewlery? What about LL's album cover for "Walking With A Panther" or Eric B. and Rakim's cover to "Paid In Full"? A lot of them paved the way for what a lot do now.... Nelly made that point on "Beef II" when he was battling with KRS that KRS held a gun on the cover on one of his albums and did a song on there called "Super Hoe" but then calls Nelly a negative influence but wasn't some things that KRS did were considered offensive? He said something about how KRS called him not being hip-hop for doing that but KRS says everything he does is? I mean how many people has KRS shot if having guns is a reality for him? lol, of course that part is fiction which makes some things he does rap, they ain't his reality but it exists though.... That's like what Lerkot said how KRS could be bulls***n' sometimes too much about what is or what isn't hip-hop like his s*** don't stink sometimes, he's one of the greatest artists in hip-hop history but sometimes he's doing rap too, not everything he does is just hip-hop, but sometimes he makes it seems like he's only hip-hop but he's rap too, hip-hop and rap go hand and hand most of the time, except if you ain't really that much into being a part of the hip-hop culture and you just do rap songs once in a while... If LL came out and dissed Nelly and said that he was a negative influence for rapping about sex so much then he'd look like a hyprocrite too, I mean am I really to believe that all they do is have sex with girls all day? That's the part that's fantasy which makes them rap but they also make songs on their albums that apply to their real life too so they're also hip-hop artists, of course LL does it way better but Nelly expresses himself too, being a hip-hop artist is about expressing all sides to an artist when you put the time into making albums, now if somebody just limits themselves to one thing they're rap Some hip-hop artists are better than others but it's like not everybody in hip-hop is the most skilled, it's just the NBA, some score 20 points, some score 5 points but they're a part of the NBA, and it's that way with artists like Nelly and 50 Cent, they might not be legends but they're still a part of hip-hop and they worked hard to get a record deal, hate 'em or love 'em.... The thing is though some rappers might rap about the hustling and the gang banging 'cause that's what they've experienced so that's doing hip-hop but if a white kid in the suburbs does songs about hustling and gangbanging then they're doing rap and they'll only be rap if that's all they talk about if that ain't something they personally know, that's the difference, it's fantasy for the kids but for the hardcore rapper it's reality... I personally am a hip-hop fan/hip-hop artist but until I get signed to a record deal you can't call me a rap artist 'cause rap artists have to be on record labels....

:word: I think this is the best way to explain the difference. I totally agree there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damian, why should i have read what everyone else wrote...and why should i care if they agree with me.

You don't understand me:) I didn't order you to do that, only for curious, they wrote some interesing things I only.... ok, whatever;) paece AJ!

hm..., I see that it's very hard to explain, cause almost everyone of you writen his own version of it. Probably if some journalists or other people able to do that, would write definition of hh, it won't be good enough for you ppl:) I must read again what you had writen & maybe I will pick up one version:)

I don't think Hip-Hop can truely be defined. No Hip-Hop head would ever look at it the same as another. But that doesn't mean that the opinions of the young, unexperinced, unknowlegeable have any credibility when they call someone like Nelly "Hip-Hop."

I think u can truely idenify with the music when u have that experience of being a part of Hip-Hop culture. I'm not saying everyone u loves Hip-Hop has 2 have a 'hood upbrining. But at least a dash of that kinda experience makes the music a reality of the listener. I grew up in 2 different enviornments...and it waz that hood upbringing that makes me embrace the music...which is why i'm so sensitive about the topic. And anyone who thinks that Hip-Hop culture is about guns, drugs, ho's, and jewelery...u don't even know the basics.

i think this is the easiest way i can accurately define it: hip-hop is a culture, an artform consisting of several ideas upon which people live their lifestyle. rap is one of those ideas, which consists of rhyming over a beat. the reason we call alot of music with rapping on it "hip-hop" is because it represents the hip-hop lifestyle. the music genre "rap" is just rhyming over a beat and doesn't necessarily represent the same views of "hip-hop" music.

Well I think Nelly is hip-hop so that means I have no credability AJ? A lot of the songs I hear on the radio that Nelly does are about the club scene and girls but hey he does have a lot of money now and I'm sure he has a lot of groupies coming at him, he's famous worldwide, so that is his reality so that does make him hip-hop, he's making songs about what he knows, but if that's me making songs like that it ain't my reality, you might not hear underground mcs make songs like that 'cause they're barely eating, that's their reality though but if they blew up I'm sure some of their songs would be like that too.... I can't say I'm rollin' "Big Willie Style", I can't afford to be rollin' like that, lol, like Will makes a song called "Party Starter", he is a "Party Starter", that's hip-hop, it's reality, but a lot of us ain't livin' like that so we can't talk like that... I don't prefer to listen to Nelly but I don't have to feel every hip-hop artist to be a hip-hop head...

Edited by bigted

By no stretch could i ever look at Nelly as a Hip-Hop artist. I'm not saying it's wrong 2 do party joints. After all, everyone of my favorite artists have done it a few times (JJ+FP, LL, Run-DMC, S-N-P, KN'P, EPMD, MC Lyte, Busta Rhymes, etc). But i've heard his albums in their entirety. He has a song or 2 that i can identify with like "Dilemma" and "Over And Over," but by no means does that justify him making an entire library of songs like Hot In Herre, Tilt Ya Head Back, Grillz, Air Force Ones, and dozens of others just like that that rediculous subject matter, wack lyrics, and cookie cutter, light weight beats. I don't see a bit of heart in his music and if his music dose properly represent the person he is...he's a discusting, shallow kind of person.

We are talking Hip-Hop here. How can u put someone like Nelly in the same class as Gang Starr.

Yeah LL on TRL a couple weeks ago not only considers Nelly a hip-hop artist but one of the top hip-hop artists, that means he has no credability then right? You or me might not be able to personally relate to much of Nelly but I'm sure some people out there can and that's what makes him hip-hop, I can't really relate to much to what Snoop makes songs about most of time either but I ain't gonna say he ain't hip-hop, I'm sure those who get high or hang with hoes all day could relate to him, lol...

I dont see why we could Judge waht is Hip Hop and what is not. Aj, you might say Hip Hop is about exprecing your feelings. But for example Rev Run say`s "Hip Hop is about doing whatever the **** you want". Hip Hop can be so many things, so I dont see how we can say for example Nelly, Ja Rule, Jadakiss aint Hip Hop.. Also if it`s about exprecing your feelings, they are Hip hop caus they do in in some Songs on theyr albums. You cant say LL does it all the time, caus he alos like only does it in 1 or 2 songs on mst of his albums Album. So does Will. I think it`s more about talking waht they know, and thats waht they all do.

Just caus you dont like Artits doesnt mean they aint Hip Hop. Just because artists aint got no realy big skilz, doesnt mean they aint Hip Hop.. You think LL Cool J would prop Puffy and Nelly and make Song with Ja Rule, Puffy and Juelz Santana if he would think they arent Hip Hop? You think Busta Rhymes would collab with Lloyd Banks if he would think G-Unit aint Hip Hop? I agree with you that some of them have questionable skilz tho..

Edited by Turntable

Why argue about the culture that we have grown to hate, since people like AJ ruin it, dissing 50 cent, Ja rule, Nelly, man your just as bad as them, but the difference is, you can't see it aswell as anyone else, so instead of being in the 80's and 90's AJ, come back to the future and realise that these our hip hop artists, as much as you hate it you can't change it, I don't agree with all your views, I agree with some, so before you go and run your mouth about what hip hop is, Just realise something, hip hop is life and everyone can determine for themselfs what they want it to be, not what you want it to be.

:word: To what Joe said, I couldn't say it better myself, I wanna say a couple of things before I stop posting in this topic:

Not everybody that's hip-hop has to be a legend, Nelly don't have legendary skills like Gangstarr but he's hip-hop just like Gangstarr is.... I can't relate to all the songs that JJFP done either(especially most of "Big Willie Style" except for a few songs that I could relate to but I'm entertained the songs though even though I can't relate) so they ain't hip-hop either? Some street cats can't relate to JJFP 'cause they don't make songs about the street life so they say JJFP ain't hip-hop, just like they say Black Eyed Peas ain't hip-hop since they don't make street music, that's the problem with fans, every artist they don't like they say ain't hip-hop just like the ones you don't like you say ain't hip-hop, but those artists are all hip-hop 'cause they make songs about a lifestyle that some people live/could relate to and that's real, love 'em or hate 'em, you could be from the streets/suburbs on the east/west/dirty south/worldwide and represent the hip-hop culture.

Don't tell me 2 sit back and accept the current trash on the radio and label it Hip-Hop. That's just crazy. Hip-Hop hasn't changed over time. The commercial side of things have changed...but that doesn't mean my taste in music will. Just cuz watered down, talent lacking fools like Nelly, Ja-Rule, and 50 Cent are on the charts doesn't mean they are the face of Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop is alive and well thru' the artists who are making real music...quality music from the heart. Nelly, G-Unit, and Lil' Jon make commerical Rap music...period. U can't change the definition of Hip-Hop music 2 fit what's popular. Listen 2 Lifesavas, Arrested Development, The Fugees, Kel Spencer, etc. That's Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop has different styles. That's why there is Run-DMC, then there's OutKast, then there Digable Planets, then there's The Roots, then there's Public Enemy, etc. Notice the different styles...but it's all Hip-Hop. Nelly, 50 Cent, J-Kwon...that's commercial rap. Hip-Hop heads don't respect that or listen 2 it. Ain't nothing wrong with commercial rap...but don't spit on Hip-Hop's name by saying Ja-Rule is Hip-Hop.

first of read what i say before saying sh!t, Ja Rule is hip hop, he's a rapper, he knows hip hop is a peice of life, why do u say that he isn't hip hop, that's just stupid, I do agree that most songs are rubbish from 50 cent etc..but without them where would hip hop be,

When was the last time PE was on the charts

Why haven't I even heard of Lifesava's and Arrested Development

People want music they can nod there head to and say that's the shít, not complain about it, U shud read what other people say before commenting on anything, without the nelly's 50 cent's ja rule's etc, hip hop wouldn't be where it is today, if rapping is a form of hip hop then Ja rule is hip hop, simple. U have ur views in what hip hop is, I have mine so why argue over something where everybody changes there views, it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight, It won't work...

I see it's much more hard to explain then I thought earlier:(

I'm not sure but probably he is trying to separate most of todays rappers from more intelectual stuff. I can understand AJ. He remember good times of hh, he don't like that many ppl are calling a hh artists those new ppl in a game. Right, AJ? Somethimes I meet ppl who had the same point of view like AJ. New stuff = rap.I can agree with him much more than with you ppl.... hmm, when I will have more free time I will read exacly what you wrote.

I do agree that most songs are rubbish from 50 cent etc..but without them where would hip hop be,

Maybe he wouldn't be so much popular (but he was still popular before him) , but maybe he wouldn't get dirty so much. In my country many ppl associate hh with only stuff like 50Cent, music videos, stupid topics & stupid acting of hh listeners. Just like my friend, I shown him more positive stuff & he got more respect to hh as a music.

I think I will support AJ or you would convict me. Ok no more this:)